Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael A. Smith has passed away

Michael A. Smith has passed away

I am posting this on my Nephew's page here.

We lost a great friend in the passing of Michael A. Smith. An excellent photographer and teacher. Opinionated, irascible and absolutely convinced Azo and Amidol was given from God for fine Photography - Michael will be missed.

He had not been in good shape as the result of a series of Strokes. Paula Chamlee, his wife - an excellent photographer, artist and teacher informed me of this as I have kept up with them as friends for some time. Both photographed with Large Format gear. Michael with the 8x10, 8x20 and 17x22. Contact prints were the goal - prints of the highest quality they could make.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com is their website. You might go on and check out the writings and images. No need to send flowers. Best thing one could do it buy a book or their cards to help with the expenses to come and to have some work of this fine photographer.

Michael was a friend and I am glad to have known him. He was abrasive at times and so sure that Azo and Amidol was the finest presentation of B&W photographs possible - later to be Lodima and Amidol - with Lodima paper the creation of He and Paula after Kodak stopped making Azo for B&W printing. His zeal and passion at times got in the way for some. For others it signaled his single minded dedication to printing of the highest order. Everything in life that could interfere with fine photography was discarded as he worked towards perfection in vision, technique and prints. A single minded dedication to excellence was what Micheal was about. In this he had the perfect Wife in Paula Chamlee - if anything - even a better photographer and teacher. To Michael's "East Coast Brusque" she is Texas laid back charm. Just as dedicated to the art of fine images she is a painter as well as a photographer, a truly talented artist.

They were a fine couple who lived from the Fine Art they produce.

Remember Michael as photographic excellence and support Paula during this time. And yes, buy a book or print rather than send flowers. The finest memorial to an excellent photographer is to have their work in your library and on your walls. I know Michael would approve. He was all about fine images.

I have been enriched tremendously from knowing them both.

Paula will put something up on their website shortly. I talked with her before posting this and have her permission to let folks know of Michaels passing.

Dan Smith
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Foamer

Re: Michael A. Smith has passed away

He was one of the greats.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Godspeed Michael.

I almost met Michael and Paula last Fall at an exhibition and lunch for them.

Another Forum member and I pre-viewed the Highland Park IL exhibition and luncheon table.

We got out just before the event. So never saw them.

A life well lived.
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

It is a sad day for everyone in the large format community and the art world as well. I never met Michael but when I got serious about my photography years ago Michael's writings were key to success. I'll miss him and my condolences to Paula and the family.

RIP. I heard tales of Michael from a friend who had a book published by him. A remarkable dedicated man.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Sad news indeed.
    Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I first met Michael and Paula in Pasadena back around 12-13 years ago...he was attending the Silver Conference and stayed at Per Volquartz's place, as did I.
    There was an informal showing of his portfolio as he and Paula were on one of their road trips for sales. We were shown at least 60 prints by both of them. I'd only seen the images printed in B&W magazine and the real deal was very impressive.

From saving Azo for over a decade to manufacturing his own brand, he did much for the community and will be missed.
    My heartfelt condolences to Paula and family.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Drew Wiley

He certainly was dedicated to his craft and made many wonderful images. It's sad he is gone.

This is very sad news. My sincerest condolences to Paula.
    ~Will

New Orleans, LA

Sad news indeed. He lived his life dedicated to his art and cut no corners. A consummate perfectionist in everything he did. Glad to have met him and learn from him and Paula. A tireless worker. We saw him in August and, even though he was recovering from a stroke, he was talking about his next publishing adventure. A very generous soul who will be missed. RIP. Our thoughts are with Paula and family during this time of grief.

I found this video of an interview with him. https://vimeo.com/60522438?fbclid=Iw...yr352RfMbQn608