Thread: Soho Studio Camera

Soho Studio Camera

I recently bought 2 x wooden cameras 'for restoration', but essentially because one had a Packard Shutter fitted and the whole lot cost me less than buying the shutter alone. In reality the two 'cameras' turned out to be a horizontal enlarger missing its lamp housing and lens, which has now been passed on to a local 'up-cycling' antique shop to do something with, and a fairly large Soho Studio Camera missing its base (and now shutter). The latter came with 5 x 8" x 8" film holders. These vary in terms of their contents but are currently fitted with half-plate inserts which can be placed either horizontally or vertically. It would be easy to fit other formats though. So the camera has potential and has cost me very little. My question is about what to do with this.

Essentially its missing the base which I can source wood for and the brass strips needed, but most importantly the brass geared rails which would allow it to be used - are there any suppliers of such items and how would I go about specifying what would be needed? I have the rotating gears - one is bent but I have no doubt that I can get this straightened - so I can measure teeth number and diameter but are there other parameters that I should specify? The bellows also need replacing - this is simply a matter of cost as I can get these made here in the UK. The camera has obviously been well used but is still far to good to throw away so I'd prefer to do something with it if I can.

Re: Soho Studio Camera

I seem to remember that Soho had a relationship with Marion, who had a strong link with France. Could you post a couple of photos of the bottom of the two standards? The continental style of adjustable rear and front standards means that removal of the camera from the base section is quite easy -unfortunately. I have seen these on offer on a number of occasions.

If it is the same model as the one I have found below, then it is definitely a continental import. I have 5 of this type of studio camera. The base is rather more complex than a single timber with a double track!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks Stephen, that's the one! In that case its probably not worth doing anything with. That said I have 5 Film holders for it which are an odd size (about 8" x 8"ish I think) with a smaller internal holder for half plates (see attached - this one even has the film holder and a sheet of film still inside!). They would be easy to convert to other formats I would think as there is a lot of space and depth inside. I may well advertise the whole lot here to see if anyone has any interest in at least using the parts as I still think it a shame to not do something with it. The back and plate holders might be usable in a wet plate DIY project?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plate Holder.jpg  

It is absolutely worth the effort to make a working camera (Fixed!) out of it!
    There is virtually no standardisation in backs/plate holders design by different makers - only the internal glass size. Even the devices for taking multiple portrait shots on one plate (your holder has a system for two on one plate) are maker specific.

Thanks Steven. Much appreciated. I assume that the brass piece on the holder is the 'system' for two shots on one plate? 4 of the 5 holders feature this, the other is missing. Out of curiosity do you have you a date for this camera by any chance? With the brass adjusters removed and the front fixed in place it should make a useful tailboard camera with relative ease I would think but I think it best that I pass it on so I'll photograph it and advertise it here simply because I have too many camera already needing work on them to take on yet another project.