Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So now I know why photo clubs are useless

Re: So now I know why photo clubs are useless

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The LF group some of us started recently had a meeting where we shared and discussed prints, both technically and artistically. Long-term I have no interest in having "competitions" in such a group. Sharing and discussing, as one would do in a collegiate art class critique sessions, is much more conducive IMO. There is no "best of show" in the real world.
    This is the answer: the problem is the typical definition of "Photo Club" which is centered on competitions where monthly winners are picked based on accumulated points. I belong to the New Jersey Photo Forum, which is a group very similar to what Corran describes, except it is not limited to Large Format, but to photography in general. It meets once per month, attendees are encouraged to present recent work, and the group comments on what they like or don't like. There is no judging as such, certainly no "winner." About half the members are professional or semi-professional photographers which has both good and bad points: the positive is that they know what they are talking about and are very good photographers themselves; the negative is that professional photography is almost entirely digital, so the few film photographers, and even fewer large format like me, are essentially "alternative process" presenters, but since it is the image that is being critiqued, that's not too much of a negative. The Forum collects lists of upcoming shows that members can submit to at each meeting, and has its own curated show once a year, where the three curators are chosen from nearby museums, newspapers, or are photographers themselves. I give so much detail because I think these are things that other clubs can emulate to their advantage.

My experience with clubs is mixed, but definitely soured once I joined the "management" and saw the political nature of the beast. These days I find it better just to hang out with other photographers and discuss my work and theirs and try to learn something new or put into practice something forgotten. You will find in the field that even shooting the same scene side by side each photographer sees something different , so discussing the shot and your choice of lens, shutter, light, texture, etc. will bring out more in your images and helps you solidify your vision, or adjust it. You can also learn about different workflows and post processing and see the direct results if you share images.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

This forum is a type of club. While we allow unknown lurkers, they are not allowed input.

The image threads are specified as no critique unless the poster requests it.

We also have many club members who never post any image. I was one of those for a long time. Trepidation...

Now most of us limit critique to attaboy or attagirl.

Unfortunately online imaging, critique and comradeship has supplanted IRL for many.

I would like to see more Print Sharing projects as they are safe, real and educational.
    Tin Can

Hmm. I see that PSA still exists. Centuries ago a colleague who was an enthusiastic photographer tried to convince me to join the local PSA affiliate. I went to a couple of meetings, found that the focus on competition and the PSA aesthetic weren't for me. Since then I've fisited a few other PSA affiliates' meetings. Same conclusion.

Tastes differ. If you like what clubs do, fine. If you don't, equally fine. But there's no reason to abuse them for not pleasing you.

The local club I attend does not have contests or judging, we just share a few images that we have shot over the past month. Some of the members will enter submissions into local judged shows / exhibits, and usually a few of us win awards. Only one of our members (that I know of) gets bent out of shape if he doesn't win.

Personally, I like winning a couple hundred $, but I derive much more pleasure if a person or two come up and talk to me about my photograph.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I like #2 but you have to clean up your negative and spot your prints better. Also, ask them to smile. They look like there losing a war.
    Shot on glass negative, I deliberately left all the imperfections. Was looking for a period look. At that time things were much more formal and people did not smile in the photos. (I collect photos from that period.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

It could be worse, folks. Having been involved either as a contestant or observer in AKC sanctioned dog shows for the past 35 years, judging at dog shows makes photo club judging look rather benign. At least in club judging, big money payoffs to the judge or sleeping with the judge is not a factor. But since my last camera club experience was in high school in the 50s, what do I know? I do know that the dogs would be laughing at the humans, if they could. I have learned much more on this forum than I could possibly could have in any club.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by freecitizen View Post
    Nowadays I only enter photos in Club competitions to show the others what I have been doing lately. It is my way of exhibiting my work.

I leave my ego at home on competition nights. And the judges comments have no real effect any more.

You can't be an artist in a camera club ....... they just won't let you.

In my club everyone votes on the photos in the twice a year competitions. So, it's the massed opinions of about 20 people. I've given four presentations over the past several years, mostly about photo history. Once a month we also give a selected person 15 minutes to show a projected portfolio of what they've been doing lately. All in all our group is about fun, so I keep showing up. There is one other guy that shoots film besides me. I shoot both digital and film. The film (or glass negs) can come from the nearly a dozen cameras I own, everything from a 1904 Brownie to a Chamonix 4x5 or Korona 5x7. There is real interest in these cool cameras. We meet in a back room of the local camera store.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ...but I'm still a "nobody" but suffice to say a local photo competition is not important whatsoever.
    PFFFTT! If you are a “nobody” than many more of us are just hacks. Like Maris, you hit a homer most of the time. As far as i am concerned many of you are inspirations to me. It. Is tough to get in the working rythm once out for so many years. But i am actually making progress on a place to work.

Now, lest all that effusive praise go to your heads..........

Besides, we all are already members of the best camera club... aren’t we!
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I value a good camera club enough to drive the 100 miles to Kansas City once a month for the Wyandotte Camera Club meetings. They must be doing something right: the club is a 100 years old. It is still B&W only. This provides an opportunity for B&W photographers to compete among themselves rather than against color images. Other clubs in the area satisfy those who prefer color and some of the newer techniques. Competitions are a significant item on the agenda. Some judging is done by outsiders; some in group discussions within the club. These friendly discussions can be informative and inspirational. All prints are mounted and matted. This hones our presentation skills and prepares us for competition outside the club. I've also belonged to clubs more like those that others have complained about. If one is stuck in a club with shortcomings, try to nudge that club in the right directions. Other members may be hoping someone would do just that.