Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best way to store lenses long term? Vacuum seal?

Re: The best way to store lenses long term? Vacuum seal?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ...I try to not buy glass from very humid areas...
    For used lenses, Japan is one of those areas. I've never purchased a used lens from Japan that didn't need to be cleaned using a solution of liquid chlorine bleach mixed 1+1 with water. That's the only way to eliminate the musty/mildew smell they all arrive with.

Sal, none of the lenses I've bought from Japanese sellers on eBay was musty.

Ditto
    Tin Can

It's been referenced in this thread but the problem with using a vacuum to store lenses is outgasing. The oils and greases in a lens are not designed for use in a vacuum (unless you collect old NASA gear...) and some of the oils are likely to contain fractions with significant outgassing at low pressure. These will then re-coat the lens elements with a thin film of haze and restoring the lens involves tearing it apart and rebuilding it. I think I read some of the old Zeiss Contrarex lenses used molly grease which might be OK in a vacuum (?) but in general it should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I store my lenses in Pelican-type water-proof hard cases with several packets of silica dispersed.

Thomas
    But for very long storage intervals (5-10+ years), they should not be stored near foam, as this will outgas and melt eventually, and is bad for your stuff, and very hard to clean up totally...

Steve K

Are we talking about storing lenses or shutters? Large Format lenses shouldn't contain volatile hydrocarbons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    For used lenses, Japan is one of those areas. I've never purchased a used lens from Japan that didn't need to be cleaned using a solution of liquid chlorine bleach mixed 1+1 with water. That's the only way to eliminate the musty/mildew smell they all arrive with.
    Use a sensitive device to detect it when it arrives... Your nose, and do a visual check for light powder on surfaces... If it has it, place item in bag or box with a little Thymol solution dipped onto some blotter material (original Listening mouthwash or Lysol contains it), and put together sealed in a warm place for 2 or 3 weeks, then wipe everything with isopropyl alcohol, and let air out for a week or so away from everything...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Are we talking about storing lenses or shutters? Large Format lenses shouldn't contain volatile hydrocarbons.
    Any gear... He's right, but even in a non vacuum, bagged greased and rubber items have coated surrounding surfaces...

Let 'em breathe!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    So, you open the box, take the lens out of the bag, remove the caps, put them on the camera, and shoot. Just reverse for long term storage.
    If you have the proper size box it can remain on the board!

Rodenstock shipped with the shutter on B, uncocked.
    Bob, and the lenses mounted in Compur shutters? In T?

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    I live in a damper climate and fungus can be a problem. I store lenses in a metal cupboard in boxes or pouches with silica gel (on old 35mm canister with the top cut away so that it can still be used to clamp mesh into the top, and full of silica gel accompanies the lenses). The trick is to use indicator silica gel and replace it when its done its work. The silica gel can be dried out in an oven (low) and reused. Don't use the old type indicator silica gel as it contains cobalt chloride as the indicator which is not so good in the oven as its toxic. In a damp climate its not such a good idea to store lenses in leather as they can get both mould and haze as a result - just my experience.
    Almost every lens that I've bought that has had mold or fungus 'hazing' has come out of a leather case... now..not all lenses in leather cases have had fungus.. but it is rare for me to find fungus in a lens that hadn't been stored in a bag or case