Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best way to store lenses long term? Vacuum seal?

The best way to store lenses long term? Vacuum seal?

So far I have been storing lenses in a ziplock bag with a packet of silica, preview shutter open. Recently I purchased a vacuum chamber machine and now I am wondering whether vacuum sealing still in the presence of silica bag would be better? Surely it would remove most of the moisture, but would it also a cause the internal shutter lubricants to spread/seep over the leaf shutter leaves and perhaps over the cells themselves?

45-57-617

Re: The best way to store lenses long term? Vacuum seal?

Not so long ago I tried to get the Nikon repair shop for the state to clean a process Nikkor of some fungus. They said it was best to let lenses see some UV every now and then. I suspect some clean dry heat and some UV is a good combination. I'd also favour a chemical deterrent of some sort for anything living. Perhaps an alcohol ?

Vacuum would not be so good for the lubricants. I'd set them in a well sealed glass cabinet, without their caps.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Sealing them up in a plastic bag has long term issues of its own...

Eventually during very long storage time, the plasticizers in the bags start to outgas leaving a film over items, and could damage some other plastics etc...

As far as sealing, this can trap in outgassed gases, oils, solvents, moisture, and organic compounds and create a closed environment, so not good either... And as well as it can be sealed, daily changes in barometric pressure seeps moisture in that cannot leave...

A gunsmith I knew often had projects involving de-rusting rifles that were stored in "sealed" cases that trapped in moisture, or in satchels made of material that did not breathe...

Bagging is ok for keeping dust from items, but the best thing is storing these in a controlled environment, can breathe a little, and exercised/used at some intervals...

Allowing it near something that will kill organic matter proactively is also bad, as these can also attack materials, finishes etc...

Steve K

Firearms and photography lenses are a bit different.

Both 'shoot'...

We always wiped down any firearm if anyone touched it, even for a moment, then into a fleece bag and dry wood closet.

But I come from the far North where humidity is not constant.

As I have written, I had access to thousands of lens collected by one person from 1947 until he passed in 2005.

He had every type and all lenses were in a baggy, but not a ZipLoc, so there was air transfer. None of his bedroom sized collection, stacked from floor to ceiling was damaged in storage and none had fungus. Mid Ohio. He piled the glass in metal file cabinets. Often without lens caps.

Climate makes a difference. I try to not buy glass from very humid areas.

Don't touch glass, don't clean too often and bag loosely.

100 year old glass in OE leather case and caps seems to work just fine. As do wood boxes.

He hid the best glass in the piano. I found them on a hunch.
    Tin Can

I live in a damper climate and fungus can be a problem. I store lenses in a metal cupboard in boxes or pouches with silica gel (on old 35mm canister with the top cut away so that it can still be used to clamp mesh into the top, and full of silica gel accompanies the lenses). The trick is to use indicator silica gel and replace it when its done its work. The silica gel can be dried out in an oven (low) and reused. Don't use the old type indicator silica gel as it contains cobalt chloride as the indicator which is not so good in the oven as its toxic. In a damp climate its not such a good idea to store lenses in leather as they can get both mould and haze as a result - just my experience.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I store my lenses in Pelican-type water-proof hard cases with several packets of silica dispersed.

Thomas

The best way is the way that they are packed and shipped from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The best way is the way that they are packed and shipped from the factory.
    Of course, but we want to use them!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Of course, but we want to use them!
    So, you open the box, take the lens out of the bag, remove the caps, put them on the camera, and shoot. Just reverse for long term storage.
    If you have the proper size box it can remain on the board!

Rodenstock shipped with the shutter on B, uncocked.