Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Vision Goggles

Re: Night Vision Goggles

ooooohhhhhhhhhh thats smart!

im going to get a pair of those gogles. im glad to see it works.

thanks

Here's my little video with these viewers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUc...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    ooooohhhhhhhhhh thats smart!

im going to get a pair of those gogles. im glad to see it works.

thanks
    Watch the video I have posted on youtube.

aaaaahhh maaaaaaaa zzzziiiiiinnnnngggggggg!

im getting a pair!

ive got my darkroom film hadeling down pat but....

that will make loading film holders so much easier.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Here's my little video with these viewers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUc...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks man! That's pretty awesome...

I do not believe you need the military Gen 1/2/3 goggles for darkroom work. They are expensive if any good and bulky. They probably will not do 1x (non) magnification.
    At any rate I have a Bresser Night Vision device (from Amazon) which works like a security camera, with a small internal black and white screen. It cost about 150 GBP with a very adequate head mounting and magnification variable from 1x up to about 2.8x . The 850nM assist light is also variable from zero up to level 6.
    In my small dark space even IR assist level 1 is much too bright and I have taped pieces of fogged film over these twin IR lights. In my opinion these assist lights, and the 850nM security lights you can buy cheaply, could fog panchromatic film because they have a visible component. This would obviously depend on nature of film, light distance and intensity and time of exposure.
    Recently 940nM LED's seem to have become easily and cheaply available. I have been able to buy a 940nM torch from China for only about 12 GBP. This light is invisible to the eye (requiring care in use) and therefore I believe would be less likely to fog film even with close or fairly prolonged use. I intend to use it for DBI with the torch light in a kind of white light box underneath the transparent developing tray. This way the light is not pointed at the eye. My intention is to have it on throughout development, because I am only learning about this and want to inspect what is happening.
    The good news is that the Bresser goggles work just fine for 940nM. The illumination is weaker and less contrasty than for 850nM, but I believe this is so even for the hunting IR scopes.
    Other points about the Bresser goggles:
    To prevent light escape from the viewing screen at the edge of the face shield I wear a welder's protective hood costing very little; the angle of vision is rather low, not above 35 deg. I think and the screen is rather small so you have little peripheral vision which requires a bit of practise.It is rechargeable.
    I tried another IR monocular viewer made by Carson with a tiny screen. I could not rig up a successful headgear for this, it was not too much cheaper than the Bresser which came with headgear and worst of all the IR assist comes on as the default. However it does also work with 940 nM light.
    My 2 cents worth as I have been a long-term lurker.

I use Nightfox 119V. They are 1x and are comfortable to wear for any normal length of time developing film. However, it looks like this unit may not be made any longer so you would have to buy used.