Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On binning images

Re: On binning images

You're exploring a variety of methods to squeeze the last few percent out of 4x5 sheet film.

Have you ever tried 5x7 or 8x10 ?

I am seriously considering 8x10 for mostly b/w and some color once I get better at large format.

It has been several years since I was introduced to the idea so I would have to find which software is currently popular with astrophotographers. I question the abililty to do this with scans vs photomosaics due to the mechanical nature of scanning but might be suitable for dslr scanning. Shoot 3 frames at each position and merge, then stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    It has been several years since I was introduced to the idea so I would have to find which software is currently popular with astrophotographers. I question the abililty to do this with scans vs photomosaics due to the mechanical nature of scanning but might be suitable for dslr scanning. Shoot 3 frames at each position and merge, then stitch.
    I was thinking the same thing, and it would be quite tedious to get the dark, light and bias frames from the scanner, but once done for a dpi setting its done. I use Nebulosity by Craig Stark http://www.stark-labs.com/nebulosity.html

It would be suited for dslr scanning which I am also exploring.

Here is an example of binning.

These images show the final setting for focus with Betterscanning Variable height film holder, ANR glass and wet mounted target. Final height is 0.2035 in from scan glass to top of ANR glass. Film mounted on bottom of ANR glass (side facing scan glass)

The three images are as follows
    1. Full 6300dpi
    2. 2x2 binning using Vuescan Tiff size reduction
    3. 3x3 binning using Vuescan Tiff size reduction

Note: 2x2 results in a 50% reduction in pixel dimensions. While a 3x3 in a factor of 3 reduction in pixel dimensions.

Also of interest is the file size for 2x2 is a factor of 4 reduction and 3x3 is a factor of 9 reduction.

I did not see any loss of edge sharpness in the reductions (some loss in fine detail, may have happened. I do not know about any effects on gradients, etc that will come next; an actual image.

Also note that no sharpening was applied at anytime, only white balance was set.

Next I am going to scan a density target with a Dmax of 3.05 in 1/3 stop increments (31 total) to see how scanner does. I may get one that goes to 4.05 next, they are relatively inexpensive. I am also going to do this test for some bw film, Across 100, Tmax100 and 400, Ilford D100 and HP5-400 using my Chamonix 45H-1 and my 75mm f/4.5 Nikkor, 90 f/5.6 Scneider Super Angulon and the 210 Grandagon I may buy. Also for my digital camera 5DMKIII. Why? Why not? Plus I can see if I need to adjust my development process and even see what different developers can do. Either I have been infected with the testing bug or I a bored!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157376...57673789470327