Thread: Checking in from Gaithersburg, MD

Checking in from Gaithersburg, MD

Hey LFPF gang. I am about 30 minutes outside of America's capital city of Washington, DC. People around here will tell you that they are from DC but crack quickly under scrutiny and then admit they actually live in the 'burbs. Just moved here from DC myself and miss the opportunity to photograph interesting things just in my neighborhood. Started shooting with my dad's Brownie in the 1970's moved up to a 110, point and shoot 35mm, 35mm SLR, DSLR, back to 35mm then to medium format. Spent a bit of time shooting nightclub photography in DC. About a year ago I learned to develop my own black and white then learned to push process. That HP5 looks great shot at 1600. I am considering the leap to LF as it just seems like the logical addition as I will continue to shoot the other formats. I might have an opportunity to pick up a Graflex Super Graphic with Kodak Ektar 127mm lens inexpensively. If not, like many other newbies, I am looking at the Intrepid. I will probably shoot pinhole with it for a few months then spring for a lens. I will do some digging on this web site for advice on which camera to buy etc. I figure to shoot B&W exclusively.
    Thanks to all the contributors.

Re: Checking in from Gaithersburg, MD

If the camera is in good condition and you get the opportunity to pick up the Super Graphic cheap then do so. They are nice! The Ektar 127 lens is considered by many to be the best lens that came on Graphic cameras. I had a later Schneider on a Crown Graphic. I do own a Commercial Ektar for my 8x10. Those Kodak lenses render well! The Intrepid could also be a great way to get started. Don't fret too much about the camera or lens. Most of us (including me) don't keep our first camera. We learn what we like and don't like and make an informed decision later. The important thing is to get started and burn some film!

Welcome to the forum, Mike. We are glad to have you!

Alan

Re: Checking in from Gaithersburg, MD

^^^What Alan Gales said^^^
    and welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White