Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teeny screw size for LPL 4550 carrier

Teeny screw size for LPL 4550 carrier

I received a used 35mm negative carrier for my LPL 4550 enlarger and found that a screw is missing. It was an OK price ($50), so rather than return it, I thought I’d try to get a replacement screw. Using what is supposed to be a good digital caliper, but having very little experience using it, I got an average of 1.9mm (a little more actually) across the threads and length of 2.87mm. Japan is stamped onto the carrier, so I presumed metric. Looking on the web for screws, I found M2 x .4 x 3mm which is closer than an M1.8 screw would be, I imagine (I didn’t see any M1.9). So anyone happen to know, or would help me with an educated guess if the M2 size might be the one? The screws are not crazy expensive so ordering both sizes is an option – but 50 in each pack means I’ll have to find a place to store 99 more screws in the garage. Also; any reason to not use thread locker on the threads of the new screw (after I know it fits)?

One other thing: it seems that a previous owner may have filed the edges of the opening to make it larger -- resulting in really shiny edges that would be facing the negative top and bottom. I should paint those edges flat black, right?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Teeny screw size for LPL 4550 carrier

Omega-Brandess is the USA distributor of LPL why don’t you contact them and ask?

Photographer

Take the carrier to a good Ace hardware. A good Ace hardware will have a large selection of tiny screws and will help you match it.
    Keith Pitman

Thanks Bob and Keith. I’ll try both.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Take the carrier to a good Ace hardware. A good Ace hardware will have a large selection of tiny screws and will help you match it.
    Yes! And in my experience the well informed ACE people care more about finding what you want than they care about the price of the little screw! They love to solve problems because they have been there! (Speaking of my Ace in Winona, Minnesota where it seems all the pros are over 50 years-old and there for the social satisfaction.)

OOPS, our store now also has two killer-pretty young woman who must be aliens - they know so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mfagan View Post
    I got an average of 1.9mm (a little more actually) across the threads and length of 2.87mm.
    The diameter of male threads is slightly smaller than the nominal thread size, so your screw is 2mm diameter.
    The length similarly is usually slightly less than nominal, so that would be 3mm.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks Jac and Leigh. I sent a message to Omega Brandess tonight, and I will find an Ace tomorrow. I’m in a small town in mountains of western NC. I was just in MN last week — dang — but will be there next year again, so will need to locate Winona :-)

Mike

You may want to try a hobby shop. I've used a local one for years when I've needed metric screws. They usually have someone who has the necessary gauges for measuring screws, both metric and English. I usually haven't had to worry about length, since a nice, small hacksaw will take care of that piece.
    Best,
    Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I tried three hardware stores this morningwith no luck. I’ll search hobby stores.

I got some of these screws from an LPL distributor in Canada called KHB. They weren’t expensive. Worth a try to get the correct screw. The US distributor is mentioned in a post above.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro