Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson V850 scan with 100% crop

Epson V850 scan with 100% crop

Color Cast Removed, Chamonix 45HS-1, Nikkor 75mm f/4.5 at f/32, front tilt, fall. Extar 100. Wet scanned using Betterscanning adjustable holder, ANR glass, Kami Fluid and Optical Mylar. Epson V850 at 4200dpi. I downsized from 4200dpi to 300dpi and saved as jpg, sRGB. I also included the 100% crop of the center of the frame. This was about 2/3 of the way into the image from where I was standing. I still need to fine tune the focus adjustment of the V850 using the holder, but this is pretty close. I don't think it did too bad. Unfortunately, flickr keeps over-saturating uploaded images.

[IMG]20181027_0129_Working_201891105 by Steven Ruttenberg, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Center Crop of 20181027_0129_Working_201891105 by Steven Ruttenberg, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: Epson V850 scan with 100% crop

Way better!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Steven,

V850 scans come less digitally optimized than those from Pro scanners, those have amazing (in firmware or in driver) sharpening optimization that increases the effect until it detects overshot condition.

With a V850 you don't have that automation and always have to adjust sharpening in Ps, these are the settings I would use for this image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scr.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	184255

(sharpening 1.4pix , 80%)

This well known: https://petapixel.com/2017/05/01/160...s-500-scanner/

From that Petapixel test, we have to realize that as the scan width is increased the V850 shines the more, because the V850 mantains the same resolving power for MF than for LF, while the other zooms out until 2000 samples per inch.

Another advice is scanning 16bits and not using the limits suggested by the scanning software that tend to clip in the ends of dynamic range to deliver a good tonal curve for the mids.

So a bit it's like developing a RAW DSLR image, you feed photoshop with a dull image that has "more scene dynamic range" than the presentation medium has, and then you have to bend curves, clip and locally edit to obtain what you want.

IMHO this scan is not well done because you have little detail in the saturated yellows, you may post an screenshot of the scanning settings.

You should obtain at least a color gradation like this one, it's a V750 crop of a 35mm shot:

Last edited by Pere Casals; 8-Nov-2018 at 05:28.

Since we know Steven is setting up an enlarger, perhaps a comparison of similar scans to optical wet print enlargement.

Do we have access to any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Tin Can

I observe that the grain in the expensive scanner detail in the Petapixel article is coarser than the Epson detail, so I took the side-by-side example into Photoshop and sharpened the Epson side until the grain was equal. At that point, to me, the Epson side actually appears noticeably sharper.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Unfortunately, flickr keeps over-saturating uploaded images.
    There are few possible reasons for this, if you are happy to make available the exact jpg that you uploaded to flickr, I would be happy to make an analysis, when I get time. Doesn't have to be this image just one that has the problem as described.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Since we know Steven is setting up an enlarger, perhaps a comparison of similar scans to optical wet print enlargement.

Do we have access to any examples?
    I'd prepare some microscope images...

On the sharpening use high pass and try to avoid too much of it. I rarely use another method, but open to trying. I find too much sharpening or wrong kind while age may look sharper it ends up being garish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    There are few possible reasons for this, if you are happy to make available the exact jpg that you uploaded to flickr, I would be happy to make an analysis, when I get time. Doesn't have to be this image just one that has the problem as described.
    Sure. I will put in dropbox and send link. Maybe I am just seeing things.