Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 121mm f8 Super Angulon in Synchro Compur lens board size

121mm f8 Super Angulon in Synchro Compur lens board size

Hello

I have the old Schneider 121mm f8 Super Angulon in a Synchro Compur shutter, that looks like been built as part of the lens rather than a independent shutter (like Copals). Does any one knows wish lens board hole size will it take? My guess is that it will fit on 42mm hole, but I'm not sure.

Many thanks

Jorge

Re: 121mm f8 Super Angulon in Synchro Compur lens board size

Look at the lens again and measure again. The cells should be screwed into a Synchro-Compur #0 in the usual way. The #0 mount hole is, according to SKGrimes, 34.6 mm.

I have that same lens and it took a 2" hole in the lens board to mount it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15413774701911879733551.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	184080

Quote Originally Posted by dentkimterry View Post
    I have that same lens and it took a 2" hole in the lens board to mount it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15413774701911879733551.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	184080
    Are you sure? I ask because all of the catalogs I have for the 121/8 SA say it is in a #0 shutter. The 120/8 is also in a #0. Ain't no standard Compur/Copal/Prontor that wants a 2" (50.8 mm) hole. Per Grimes, the progression is #0, 34.6; #1, 39.0; #3, 62mm; #3S, 61mm.

#2s want several sizes, from 50 mm to 55.8 mm. Is your lens in some sort of #2?

Schneider called it a "Compur Special" as they could fit it into a smaller shutter (one size smaller than cells directly into a std shutter). I have this same lens but it is permanently mounted on a Norma rabbit ear board.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Here is the locking ring for this lens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1541380473743-1811742856.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	184093

I think this is an earlier version of this lens. Later models came with a #0 shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Schneider called it a "Compur Special" as they could fit it into a smaller shutter (one size smaller than cells directly into a std shutter). I have this same lens but it is permanently mounted on a Norma rabbit ear board.
    Dan, are you sure? I ask because the Schneider catalogs I have access to -- clearly, not all -- don't mention a Compur Special shutter. This Linhof catalog https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50...13RTd5aDA/edit mentions a couple of lenses, not all Schneider, in Compur special shutters and explains that they have linked speed and aperture settings.

To avoid pointless wrangling, would you please tell us the diameter of y'r 121/8 SA's front cell's mounting thread? That'll answer the questions of whether it is in a standard shutter and, if so, which size.

Thanks,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Dan, are you sure? I ask because the Schneider catalogs I have access to -- clearly, not all -- don't mention a Compur Special shutter. This Linhof catalog https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50...13RTd5aDA/edit mentions a couple of lenses, not all Schneider, in Compur special shutters and explains that they have linked speed and aperture settings.

To avoid pointless wrangling, would you please tell us the diameter of y'r 121/8 SA's front cell's mounting thread? That'll answer the questions of whether it is in a standard shutter and, if so, which size.

Thanks,

Dan
    My front cell is secured to the shutter by 3 set screws. I am not going to mess with those!
    Terry

Dan, Here is the Schneider Catalog:

Super Angulon Catalog by Nokton48, on Flickr

According to the specs it's a #0, but I'll wager it's a #1 or bigger mounting hole. This lens can not be simply unscrewed, you would have to completely strip it down. You can plainly see the #0 inside the outer lens casing.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks, Dan. I wasn't asking you to strip the lens down, just remove the front cell from the shutter and measure its mounting threads (the ones that screw into the shutter). Your news that the shutter is marked #0 is as good.

Could you remove the rear cell? This would make the last couple of mm of the shutter's rear tube accessible and measurable.

Thanks again,

Dan

Oh, and by the way, your catalog agrees with mine about the shutter sizes the various lenses go into. It is for newer f/8 SAs. The 1963 catalog shows every f/8er shorter than 121 mm in a #00, just like the 90/8 s/n 6 621 942 (1960 or so) that I use as a paperweight.