Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developed paper yellow

Re: Developed paper yellow

Developer dilution doesn't do much apart from requiring longer development times. Moreover 1+4 gives lower contrast than a stronger dilution. Or did you mean to use dektol for negatives (why??)

Reciprocity failure seems like a very unpractical manner to deliberately manipulate contrast.

Selenium toning if negatives works, but it's really a last resort if somehow you messed up the negative in the first place.

Besides red filters, also consider other colors in particular yellow and orange; they give a bit more control.

I'm still wondering about your preference for graded over multi grade papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    PQ has arrived.

For "contrast control" with graded paper I intend to use following tools :
    - use of red filter when exposing negative, when appropriate
    - use of reciprocity of film
    - Selenium toning negative
    - Negative development (N, N-1, N+1,.... compensating development)
    - Dilution of paper developer (PQ at 1+4 for higher contrast)
    - Flash highlight areas of paper (tame extreme highlights)
    - burning, dodging

Does that seem about right ?
    Thanks
    @Koraks,
    I still like to work with graded papers. I find the mid-tone rendering better in the lower-contrast range (grades 1-2 and thereabouts). Plus, Galerie is just a beautiful paper. VC papers are great for negs that need higher-contrast settings. I'm using and liking Adox MC 110 a lot these days.

@Henk,
    As Koraks mentioned, changing developer dilution and time to control contrast is a rather limited tool these days. Most papers don't respond to either with a real increase in contrast, but rather different paper speed. The end effect is just like changing print exposure time a bit. That said, I'll use 15-60 seconds of increase in development time in place of small adjustments to the exposure time for convenience, especially after I've got dodging and burning worked out.

As for filters: use the filter you need for the situation you have. A red filter is not appropriate for all situations. I use yellow, orange and green a lot more than my red #25 filter (plus the polarizer).

Selenium toning of negs is a good tool for those negs that need a bit more punch, plus you can intensify locally if you need. However, it should be down on the list of things you try - kind of as a last resort.

Tailoring your negative development to the contrast range of the paper is classic Zone System and should be your first choice for dealing with contrast. Keep in mind, though, that reducing development for a high-contrast scene to fit the entire range onto the paper isn't always the best solution. It kills mid-tone and local contrast. Often, I'll just plan on doing dodging and burning in order to keep contrast in the lower values where I want them.

I've used reciprocity failure to increase contrast on negatives quite a bit. I like the look, which is different than increasing development or using a higher contrast-grade paper. However, it's not all that predictable either...

For intermediate contrasts on graded papers, the standard tool was to use a soft-working developer, like Selectol Soft or Ansco 120 in conjunction with a harder-working developer like Dektol, etc. Using the low-contrast developer alone can get up to one grade of contrast difference. Splitting the time between the different developers (start with the softer one) gets you intermediate grades.

Flashing your paper is a good tool for certain situations, especially when you have important shadow detail and then a highly-lit part (think dark interior with a sunlit scene out the window). Flashing can bring in the high values really well, but reduces contrast in them as well.

Dodging and burning are great tools as well as bleaching. I use all three regularly.

Sounds like you are on the way to improving your darkroom skills tremendously.

Have fun,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    PQ has arrived.

For "contrast control" with graded paper I intend to use following tools :
    - use of red filter when exposing negative, when appropriate
    - use of reciprocity of film
    - Selenium toning negative
    - Negative development (N, N-1, N+1,.... compensating development)
    - Dilution of paper developer (PQ at 1+4 for higher contrast)
    - Flash highlight areas of paper (tame extreme highlights)
    - burning, dodging

Does that seem about right ?
    Thanks
    Really, most of these are "solutions looking for problems" as the natural look of a good normal negative, and print has much beauty when you get everything in order, so find one of the standard negative and print tests first, and learn to expose properly...

You will find this will work very well for over 90% of the things you shoot, and will improve in practice...

There are some many techniques, materials, gear etc that might get in the way of your image making, so don't get lost before you start...

Happy shooting!!!

Steve K

Thank you all for the good info and advice !