Thread: "Ansel Adams in Our Time"

"Ansel Adams in Our Time"

...will be at the Boston MFA from December 13, 2018 – February 24, 2019.

https://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/ansel-adams-in-our-time

Re: "Ansel Adams in Our Time"

I was hoping you were among the 20 present-day photographers in the show.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

David Schaller

Thank you for the notice Oren. I will certainly have to see this show.
    Dave

I saw the show yesterday afternoon. It's very large, plenty of material to see. It occupies the entire Gund gallery, which is the basement-level space underneath the atrium between the old buildings and the new Art of the Americas wing. The individual rooms are organized by themes - National Parks, San Francisco, Southwest, etc. I'm happy to report that the layout is well-spaced and the illumination throughout is adequate to see the prints clearly.

The Adams material, drawn from the Lane collection, is a mix of greatest hits and less familiar material, small and large prints, and early, mid and late work. There are at least a couple of examples of two renderings of the same negative, which are very nice for close study. Also included is a set of the Parmelian Prints.

The complementary work was chosen to show how others have approached the same themes. The photographers represented range from pre-Adams (e.g. Carleton Watkins, Eadweard Muybridge) to photographers still active, and the styles from classical large format realism to avant-garde digital conceptual work. Both color and B&W are included, as well as a range of capture and print media. Some items that stood out for me were a selection of Mark Klett's re-photography work, a group of three 7x17 platinum prints of southwestern scenes by Lois Conner, and a set of beautifully-executed B&W silver prints from Mark Ruwedel's "Westward the Course of Empire" series.

Also, a special bonus for Forum folk: two large prints from Bryan Schutmaat's "Grays the Mountain Sends" series, showing panoramic views of... Tonopah, NV!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    the 20 present-day photographers in the show.
    Haven't seen the show, but I never grow weary of Ansel Adams --spent hours with a roomful of his prints just last week. Every time I see a collection of Adams' prints I marvel at his talents as artist and craftsman. Despite his great world-wide fame and influence I always come away after a visit with his work thinking that the man is still underrated, and I think often mis-appreciated, too.

But at least the video preview of the supplementary contemporary aspect of the exhibition, astonishingly, highlights only certain confused interpretations, which actually suggest an Anti-Adams-in-our-Time show.
    Last edited by JMB; 1-Jan-2019 at 16:30.

Article on Ansel Adams

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/a...rt%20%20Design

I've merged this as the linked article is a review of the Boston show. -- Oren
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know