Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MLC 810 - Optical Bench DIY

Re: MLC 810 - Optical Bench DIY

Interesting concept for a lightweight camera, you sport technical creativity in that design !!!

Anyway IMHO it would be interesting to include a sort of fine adjustment (little threaded studs somewhere perhaps) to ensure critical GG to film plane, as Bob points from the Linhof design.

When the lens if well stopped then plane matching is less critical, but for shots at large aperture it's another thing. I think that Depth to Film Surface for 8x10 holders is 0.260" +/- 0.016", this is 0.4mm tolerance from the intended plane, but any missmatch you allow will add to the natural variability of holders, that I guess usually it's lower that the max specified.

Interesting concept
    for now i cannot explain more details about chassis, i want to put it under copyright, because ther's not other chassis like mine

the natural variability of holders
    from -40°/+120° with this chassis is virtually absent, because the chassis was made in carbon fiber

include a sort of fine adjustment
    about it, for prototype i keep it without fine adj, if during the first test i encounter problem with large aperture shots, i think about your tip.

Update on front standard: normally the optics release is placed on the upper side, but this can cause the optics to fall, especially during the release phase. However, by placing the release at the bottom this problem does not exist, even if you forget the blocks in the open position...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_091047.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	184207

Name:	IMG_20181107_091108.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	184208

This is an interesting way, but if you want my feedback I would prefer the release in the upper side because gravity helps the operation, some 8x10 lenses are not lightweight (my symmar convertible 360 is close to 2kg). If the lock is not secure then probably it's better to place it at the bottom.

But I'd go to a sinar style upper lock, it has a refined touch and the ball lock it's lightweight and secure. Just my particular personal preference.

Name:	plating.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	184209

To me the advantage of the lock in the bottom is that the lens does not fall if the lock breaks, so you may use a weaker lock.

Anyway I (personally) find that Norma lock 1948 design it's what I want, because it ensures I won't leave the lens unlocked, something that can happen with a bottom lock and that may lead to a lens fall if moving the tripod. This happened to a friend, he was fortunated because it fell on the grass...

Well, perhaps this is "à chacun son goût" !

Very cool. Have you considered launching a kickstarter capaign to finish the design and share your camera with the world?
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Very cool. Have you considered launching a kickstarter capaign to finish the design and share your camera with the world?
    +1

A refined ultralight/monorail/carbon 810 it's something really cool. If cost could be contained I guess it can be a success, we have seen Intrepid initiative. If (beyond lightweight) the design also ends being rigid, aligned and with accurate zero points then it would be an interesting choice...

Pere Casal: Thanks for your feedback, many friends prefer upper side and other bottom, as you say, this is "à chacun son goût". and what do you mean with "cost could be contained"?

Nodda Duma: before putting a campaign on kickstarter, I want to be sure of it. I have already contacted some photographers (not my friends) here in Italy, to have it tested and reviewed, and only then I will put it on kickstarter. However, if it comes to production, it will be produced only on order.

Excellent. Yes, kickstarters require careful planning to do well.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Do you have an oven and machining tools for that carbon fiber, or do you use a contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by robyz1984 View Post
    what do you mean with "cost could be contained"?
    Today most of the large format camera industry has been dismantled, a regular corporate structure may not survive in this business because there is a lot of used gear from former LF Pro activity. If you plan to launch a commercial activity you will want to guess the sells related to price.

IMHO obtaining some success will be related to the performance of your product but also to the price you will be able to offer, and regarding that... desing should allow an optimal production cost that give you financial room.

So a challenge I find is offering a great value from a low production cost, this would allow you later adjusting price for optimal profit, but if you depart from a high production cost then you will not be able to decrease price to gain inertia. Also, as you know, unit cost also depends on the production amount, so being able to offer a competitive price is also what it will allow you a higher production run that should lower the per unit manufacturing cost.

Quote Originally Posted by robyz1984 View Post
    Nodda Duma: before putting a campaign on kickstarter, I want to be sure of it.
    This is wisdom... it's not easy to realize what will satisfy prospective costumers, so a detailed market prospection and good smell is required to nail a product concept.

Of course, when you launch the quickstarter you will soon see is the concept is attractive...