Thread: I own a Sinar P2 4x5. What would I need to convert to 8x10?

I own a Sinar P2 4x5. What would I need to convert to 8x10?

Obviously an 8x10 ground glass and frame. I’d also need 8x10 bellows and holders and a lens.

But what else? Does a Sinar P2 rear standard accommodate both 4x5 and 8x10? I’m assuming it does because the values on the movements have neutral positions labeled before 4x5 , 8x10 , and 5x7

Re: I own a Sinar P2 4x5. What would I need to convert to 8x10?

The P2 8x10 carrier frame, back, and bellows. This back is a metering back, which some people don't like, as it's bulkier than a P version. You can also use a P frame, back, bellows, but you can't mix P bellows with a P2 carrier frame. Using P-hardware on a P2 will require that you figure out Zero points on the movements. The dots won't be correct. There's also a t-shaped 8x10 rear standard, which gives you more movement. Whether you need that depends on how and what you photograph. I use a P 8x10 kit on a P2, using the regular rear standard. It works for me.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: I own a Sinar P2 4x5. What would I need to convert to 8x10?

Yep, the carrier frame, back and bellows are what were sold as the 8x10 conversion kit, and then they also had special front and rear bearers as shooting 8x10 on the normal standard bearers doesn't leave you much room for shift, rise or fall. That being said, those pieces seem to come up fairly rarely. I was just lucky enough to find the conversion kit for sale from an online seller, and someone actually has both special bearers listed on eBay right now, but they want a grand for the rear and $500 for the front. At those prices, I think I'll deal with the normal bearers for now.