Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: critique please, newbie- am I asking too much of this lens Schneider Super Angulon

Re: critique please, newbie- am I asking too much of this lens Schneider Super Angulo

That is a fine lens and the answer to your question is no, you're definitely not asking too much of that lens. It never hurts to check that the ground glass is in register. With the back off the camera place a straight edge across from side to side and then with a 6 inch rule measure distance ground glass is away from your known surface that the straight edge is resting on, then take a film holder with a piece of film that's no good and put it in where it goes. The measurement to the film plane has to be exactly the same as it was to the ground glass surface or you'll never get a sharp image.

What the others have said about focus is correct. Here's how I do it. Go out to nearest focus, probably the edge of the front overhang and put a fingernail at that spot, then roll it back so the bricks are sharp. Whatever the distance from your edge to your fingernail, roll forward half way there and lock it down. There are charts that tell you how much distance each available stop will bring into focus. Seems like 3/16 - 1/4" is where you need f45.

If it were me I'd probably focus on the bricks so they will pop and stop down to f22 1/2 and suffer whatever loss I suffer at the nearest edge. For the picture to work you need those bricks to be crisp. Those kinds of trade-offs are learned by experience and there's dis-agreement about philosophy. I'm usually wrong. But I've got a lot of satisfactory pictures anyways. Mostly the best advice is just keep slugging away.

Re: critique please, newbie- am I asking too much of this lens Schneider Super Angulo

What JG said

Corran's point is very good. Try a perfectly flat facade with the same amount of rise, and no tilt
    front or back and see if any of the image is soft. If so, you may have a poor lens sample. It can
    happen.

Generally, I think a photo like that should be easy even with a longer lens like 150 or 210 mm.

In cases where you really are DOF challenged, a scale on the bed of the camera is very helpful.
    The idea is to set the lens exactly in the middle between the closest and most distant things you
    want to be sharp, and then stop down. Some cameras come with those, but I got an inexpensive
    plastic millimeter ruler and taped it to the bed of mine for that purpose.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Sounds like trying to use hyperfocal distance. If you know that, you can focus on that and everything from that point back is acceptably sharp as well as a fair amount of distance in front. It is different for each fstop desired.

multiplex

i wouldn't bother with any movements and just shoot 0'd out
    and 0'd out if things are still out of focus using even f16 1/2 ..
    you might consider taking the camera and lens to a camera shop you trust
    and have them give it a looksie .. make sure the camera is aligned so everything that is supposed to
    be horizontial and perpendicular is, and have your lens looked at to make sure
    that if the previous owner/ owners took it apart and put it back together again, and were clueless
    like most people tend to be when reassembling lenses, that something isn't out of whack ... **
    could just be your ground glass needs to be shimmed or someone put a fresnel lens
    on your camera that isn't seated right &c ... but 0'd out and even at f16 things should be pretty
    much in focus from roof to bricks to awnings ...

good luck !

** i've heard stories of people taking things apart and flipping things or putting things back in the wrong order
    and it can give interesting results, also stories of people who bring a box of "parts" to their camera repair guy
    and say " i took it apart and can't figure out how to get it back together"
    i've took a travel clock apart, its still in pieces

Quote Originally Posted by ibabcock View Post
    f32 with front rise and tilt...Next I'll try f45 or f64...
    If this is the effect you want, I'd use the lens wide open, rather than stopping down more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 1.32.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	184027

An easy way to ensure parallel standards is to use a small bubble level ($3) to check the front and rear standards. Always, always level your camera first and then work in movements as you need them.