Thread: Compound #3 Shutter

Compound #3 Shutter

I've got a lovely Compound #3 shutter that seems to work very snappily across the board. What can go into it? Not sure what to do with it!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: Compound #3 Shutter

Compound 3 was before Copal Compur days when things got more standardized. Most are 56mm width but barrel depth can be all over the place. A Voigtlander 210 Heliar is a possibility. Schneider standardized all of their different offerings that fit a Compound 3, so if it's sized for Schneider lenses, a Xenar 210 f4.5, a convertible Symmar 300 5.6, a 165mm Angulon, Early 355mm Dagor style G-Claron, to name a few. Maybe someone here can measure barrel height on one of the Schneider products and you can compare and see if that's what yours is. BTW the Voiglander 210 Heliar was same spacing as the Schneider 210 Xenar one.

Do or do not. There is no try.

14" f/9 Schneider Repro-Claron if it's a Schneider-sized shutter.

Well this one is 56mm width, but my 210 Heliar definitely doesn't fit into it. Actually, the inside of both the front and back where the threads are measure 54mm. There is a retaining ring that fits. The distance from the front to the back as in the attachment is 36mm (slightly less than the 36.9 shown in the pic). The diameter of the entire shutter is about 87mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6507.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	183959
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6509.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	183960

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Compound 3 was before Copal Compur days when things got more standardized. Most are 56mm width but barrel depth can be all over the place. A Voigtlander 210 Heliar is a possibility. Schneider standardized all of their different offerings that fit a Compound 3, so if it's sized for Schneider lenses, a Xenar 210 f4.5, a convertible Symmar 300 5.6, a 165mm Angulon, Early 355mm Dagor style G-Claron, to name a few. Maybe someone here can measure barrel height on one of the Schneider products and you can compare and see if that's what yours is. BTW the Voiglander 210 Heliar was same spacing as the Schneider 210 Xenar one.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Looks like the Schneider one to me. There were lots of Heliar's for lots of years. It was the later coated from the 1950's one that fit for me. I may have some 210 Xenar cells. That's my guess on yours since it would be the only f4.5 fit for that shutter. I can measure the threads with a caliper when I get home. 54mm to the top of the inner threads sounds believable.

Another option is to use the shutter to create a soft focus lens. If you have a couple of close-up filters in the 52 mm to 67 mm range, you can have S. K. Grimes make adapters to use them. An close-up filter adapted to the rear of the shutter becomes a soft-focus lens--but the image would become sharper the more you stop down the shutter's iris. It would be prudent to have a second adapter made to fit the front of the shutter to protect it from dust in the field. A second adapter for the front could also hold a second close-up filter, and the result would be a Periskop-type lens that would also be soft focus.

This could be done while taking full advantage of the good advice in the previous posts.

Keith

I have two of these, and both came originally with their f 4.5 21cm Tessars.
    What's interesting is that the only difference between the two is that the f-stop scale on one of them goes up to 50 (the other like yours till 32)
    A Coronar Doppelanastigmat 210 f4.5 should also fit, as the Xenar f4.5 210 should do, same with the Heliar.

What is the serial on yours? (mine hare 27673x and 32243x)

My Flickr