Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand Spanking New Website

Re: Brand Spanking New Website

Very striking images. Really impressive. One tiny thing, and maybe it’s just me (also I am on an iPad) — the arrow to the right of the first image in a series I at first mistook as the way to advance through the series, not move to the next body of work. Obviously figured it out very quickly, and there is likely nothing to be done about it...and it becomes clear as soon as you try it anyway. Just a small observation, probably irrelevant but just in case... Anyway, beautiful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    John, I'm waiting for a book! Enjoy the work immensely.
    Book would be nice, I'd be in for one. I've always admired your work and who doesn’t like trains.

Roger

It looks terrific John. It took me a minute to understand the navigation, specifically how to backtrack within a project, but I figured it out. As far as the work goes, man, there are so many treasures in there! I came across quite a few pictures that I hadn't seen before that totally knocked me out: Farmhouse Near Medina, Behind Broad Street, Oscar Newton Elevator, Ocotillo... It's all good stuff, congratulations.

John Nice pictures. However, the operation of the pages are confusing and turns me off. You ought to have a specific arrow to advance and go back one picture at a time rather than just clicking on the screen somewheres. The arrow on the right is confusing. Of, I see you have arrows now for each picture. However, those arrows disappear when you go to full screen but the group arrow to the right remains. It''s confusing. Be consistant.

When I clicked on Updates, it went to a bunch of pages that have no meaning for me. What are they? They seem to be Press and Publications. So why are they titled Updates?

What does CV stand for? SHould you spell it out. Abbreviations might not be understood by some like me.

Faster up load required. (I'm using Windows 10 on my desktop with Chrome Internet)

What is Issue title mean? It takes you a page that appears to have videos. What is the point of the videos? What part did you play? Confusing.

The index with the three lines changes from the home page to when you click on video pages. I suppose those are the magazine's, but it's all confusing. How do you get back to your home page from there?

The Thrift store sells stuff that might insult people like F.Y. bookmark and what is the Submission icon for? In fact, why are you selling clothes and other crap at all? What are you selling with the web site? Photographer, prints, getting hired out, clothes, etc? It's confusing to a buyer what you're selling.

What is the purpose of the Search Button at the top right? Oh wait, I see. That's because I'm on the Slate website. More confusion.

The intro with your initials is not necessary. Just wastes the viewer's time. Open to a simple page that identifies who you are and what you do IMMEDIATELY. The viewer has to guess what he's looking at. It's a turn off.

Simplify. Simplify. SImplify. BE clear. Be Clear Be clear.

Great

John, I don;t want to seem like I'm piling on, but I noticed something else. Your bio is interesting but way too long. No one is going to read it. Also, no one cares you were raised in Hell's Kitchen or any of that other stuff except your friends here on the web. But they're not your customers. I was born in The Bronx but no one ever cared or hired me because of it. Also, you bio does not say what you do. What are you selling? What kind of clients are you looking for?

I just noticed there's a search icon on your pages too. Why? What would I search for?

Why does Railroads on the Project menu open up to thumbnails while the other three projects opens up to a single page. You should be consistent.

Why are there two ways to search on the Update page?

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    Very slow loading for me. Tried it on 2 laptops, same thing. Too much BS. I like direct sites. Zine format. Everything up front. I like fast sites, no shortage of work to look at. I wont fool around with low hard to use sites. I also do not like the slide show sites. Of course, this is all personal opinion.

From the little I saw, you do nice work. I like trains too, the old steam trains. But never really shoot em.
    What is your connection? I have not heard of it loading slow for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    It looks terrific John. It took me a minute to understand the navigation, specifically how to backtrack within a project, but I figured it out. As far as the work goes, man, there are so many treasures in there! I came across quite a few pictures that I hadn't seen before that totally knocked me out: Farmhouse Near Medina, Behind Broad Street, Oscar Newton Elevator, Ocotillo... It's all good stuff, congratulations.
    Thank you for the feedback, Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    John, I'm waiting for a book! Enjoy the work immensely.
    Thank you Jim, a book will be real soon!! In the mean time I am working on a folio of 25 prints from Carbon County, Wyoming with Zatara Press.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_los_angeles_photo View Post
    Very striking images. Really impressive. One tiny thing, and maybe it’s just me (also I am on an iPad) — the arrow to the right of the first image in a series I at first mistook as the way to advance through the series, not move to the next body of work. Obviously figured it out very quickly, and there is likely nothing to be done about it...and it becomes clear as soon as you try it anyway. Just a small observation, probably irrelevant but just in case... Anyway, beautiful stuff.
    Thanks Michael. I've heard that before about the next project arrow, but there's not much we can do. We tried to include as many navigation options for folks with different experience browsing.