Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Microsoft Windows 10 (or 11?) Computer for Adobe?

Which Microsoft Windows 10 (or 11?) Computer for Adobe?

Having in mind the Windows 10 Operating System, what computer should one purchase to run Adobe software, and in particular, Photoshop/Lightroom software?

I'm thinking of some sort of desktop or tower, since I plan on getting a second BenQ, color-managed monitor for whatever I purchase.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 26-Mar-2022 at 10:59.

Re: Which Microsoft Windows 10 (or 11?) Computer for Adobe?

Here are the minimum system requirements for Photoshop and Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/sy...uirements.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc...uirements.html

If you're looking to get a new computer, you'll probably want something that has far more than the minimum requirements, and probably a bit more than the current recommended requirements, so you'll have a lot of useful life.

If you purchase a computer with W11, it is far better to get 16megs of ram, and the same for SSD space. Less and speed will suffer.
    W10 does a good job with PS and LR. For me it's greatest selling point is files are not automatically save on One Drive which after 5 megs will cost you a monthly fee.
    I am currently in the process of eliminating that trait.

I'm on W11 with a 3090 GPU and having no issues whatever using VERY large (8x10) scans and LR and PS.

Brian

Whatever you buy, I'd recommend at least 32GB memory (64GB if you can afford it) and a higher-end graphics card, again with as much memory on it as you can afford. A lot of software relies heavily on the graphics card nowadays so it pays not to scrimp here. I would also recommend a 512GB or 1TB SSD for your system drive and one or more larger internal hard drives for general storage. Choice of OS will come down to your own personal needs. I stayed with Win 10 (for now) because several bits of software I use regularly have not been updated for Win 11. Plus, I like to wait a bit on major OS upgrades until many of the bugs, etc, have been worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Whatever you buy, I'd recommend at least 32GB memory (64GB if you can afford it) and a higher-end graphics card, again with as much memory on it as you can afford. A lot of software relies heavily on the graphics card nowadays so it pays not to scrimp here.
    I just purchased a computer that has 32GB of memory, but for reasons unrelated to processing still photographs. I believe that the vast majority of photographers need no more than 16GB of RAM. I can't think of any reason why the average photographer would need to hold 64GB of data in short-term memory.

This Adobe page says when, and for what, Photoshop/Lightroom use a computer's graphics processing unit as of January 2022: Photoshop GPU FAQ

Photoshop/Lightroom are CPU intensive, not GPU intensive.
    Last edited by r.e.; 26-Mar-2022 at 15:06.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I've used Dell tower desktop computers for many years, currently an XPS 8700 tower at least five years old, with 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770 running Windows 10. I use Lightroom and Adobe Premiere Elements a video program that needs a lot more power than Lightroom. I also edit large scans of 4x5" photos film running 500mb in tiff for each photo file. I've run Lightroom on these at the same time I've run Premiere video. I've never seen over 12gb in use although I do have 24gb total available. 16gb should do it but get a tower with expansion capability to 32gb just in case. If you buy now, you're going to get Windows 11 loaded. I also have a 256mb SSD, a definite advantage.

So anything better than this will work well for you. I can't tell you about video cards.

Here's a nice place to start.
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desk...xd8940msrfbres

IMO, ask around locally for someone who can build you a custom computer - a student or young professional is probably around who does it on the side. Check craigslist and Facebook. Your budget will determine specs. Any decent modern CPU with 16-32gb of RAM and a low- to mid-tier graphics card, along with an SSD and all of that of course, will easily run PS and LR.

There are also companies that will take the parts you pick and do a flat fee, such as $75 from here: https://buildredux.com/

I have no personal association or experience with the above, I mention it for information only as a possible solution. The only issue is these companies usually are geared towards gaming computers. But anything good at games will be good at PS/LR too.

You should know that some PC parts are extremely difficult to get right now, most notably graphics cards. One option in that regard is to get a CPU with built-in graphics, and if you need to upgrade to a dedicated GPU later you can do that when supply chains are a bit less FUBAR.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The only problem with custom build is the warranty, especially with some kid or young "professional" putting it together who won't be around when it breaks. With Dell or HP, you're going to get support and you can buy extended service agreements. Unless you're experienced somewhat with these systems, you need to have backup for maintenance and repairs. Someone you can call. Also, custom is going to cost a lot more than buying Dell off the shelf.

If you consider a "warranty" or how-to call service essential, sure buy whatever mass-market computer you want. By the way, don't dismiss your local guy. I built a computer for a pro music writer way back over a decade ago and he called me for years to ask questions or just get computer help. I charged him for house calls. Good friend, now, and I eventually stopped charging him just because I was nice. Like literally hundreds of calls.

However do NOT buy a Dell. Ever.

"Custom is going to cost a lot more than buying a Dell" - yeah, you're right, because you'll get a good computer, not junk. Often, the reason people hate on Windows computers is because they're used to the lowest-bid garbage they have at work, usually a Dell.

Personally, I recommend anyone in this thread shopping for a computer to simply put in the time to learn how the components work and watch a few build tutorials. Then build a custom yourself. No need for a warranty on the build when you did it and know how to fix it. I built my first computer at 14, it's incredibly simple. More simple than it used to be actually. And you can build a system for a fraction of the price of high-end customs. I spent $1100 7-8 years ago on my current computer, which still runs flawlessly and I have not had a single component failure. I upgraded the SSD once.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome