Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Negative For Silver Gelatin Enlargements?

Re: Digital Negative For Silver Gelatin Enlargements?

Let me add that LVT name comes from the Light Valve Technology used time ago, illumination was continuous but an (LVT) screen with variable opacity was continuously modulating the power arrriving to the paper, in later models it's the illumination source itsef what vary the power from pix to pix, IIRC.

BowHaus lab in LA offers an LVT service. I assume they are still in business although it's been years since I used them.

http://www.bowhaus.com/services/lvtprice.php4

My limited experience trying to get LVTs made was that it's a finicky process. If you have your own LVT machine and can make 17 test negs and tweak all the settings it's possible to get stellar results, but that any lab in the business of making money is going to have a 'set it and forget it' action to run on your file and output it to film. (for instance, the sharpening necessary for optimal quality would be radically different if the source were from scanned film vs dslr, different if were 120 vs 4x5, output neg size is 45 or 810, etc ad nauseam.)

You could try a couple tests but it will be expensive. Somebody told me that Paul Caponigro had a digital neg made of his famous "Running White Deer' picture because his arms got tired doing all the dodging and burning required but that after printing from the copy neg a number of times he determined that the original negative was better.

I've heard there's someplace in Germany that currently does LVT's too.

Hi Ken, that looks interesting. I couldn't discern if the digital negs are suitable for enlarging or just contact printing. You have any idea on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You might find this helpful: PiezoDN

Also this is coming soon: Piezography Professional Edition Toolset v2

I wonder if the LVT writers are still being made. The company was a Kodak subsidiary in the 1990s, and my department at Kodak had one. I never learned to operate it; that was someone else's job, but it was capable of very high quality results. They 'de-accessioned' it around 2007 or so, and I haven't heard much about the devices since then. Perhaps the old machines are still supported? I agree with Chester McCheeserton's comment about their being 'finicky' btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The company was a Kodak subsidiary in the 1990s, and my department at Kodak had one.
    Mark, long ago Kodak sold the LVT business to Durst, but LVTs were discontinued in 2002, IIRC

Several companies still produce film recorders for the motion picture industry that still have sustained film printing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Mark, long ago Kodak sold the LVT business to Durst, but LVTs were discontinued in 2002, IIRC

Several companies still produce film recorders for the motion picture industry that still have sustained film printing needs.
    Could you list those companies please

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Could you list those companies please
    CCG DEFINITY(was Agfa)
    http://www.definity35mm.com/

CINEVATOR
    https://www.piql.com/cinevator/

CELCO
    http://www.celco.com/

ARRILASER used for archiving in (color separated, I guess) film the digital movie productions
    http://www.arri.com/archive_technologies/arrilaser/

Some popular movies are still projected in film, at least for IMAX release, these are recent: Dunkirk, James Bond: Spectre, First Man, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Episodes 7, 8 and (comming) 9 of Star wars...

In fact film projection is way superior than digital projectors, but digital is a cheaper distribution and requires nobody at projector's side...

thank you