Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

Threads merged.

Re: New Overhead Bin Regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Sales staff in a high(er) end luggage store made a comment about new regulations on overhead bin sized bags for international flights.

Whatg is the real story on this?

Is my Pelican 1510 hard case still Ok for the overhead bin?
    Almost definitely okay for an international flight on an american carrier, but get on board early. Notes about gate checking are correct.

It will (probably) not fit in the overhead bin of an Embraer or Canadair, but it will in all the Boeings and Airbusses, and it is clearly too big for underseat storage. If you are united group 5 (basic economy) you can't even try it. Similarly, if you are group three or higher, there is a fair chance that you will have trouble finding a place for it. That being said, the 1510 is absolutely fine by United and American.

If you are concerned and live close to the airport, bring it in and check the sizer near check-in.

For flights inside of europe (or china or elsewhere) you may have issues. Particularly as local carriers have different rules.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/sty...age-size-guide

Re: New Overhead Bin Regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by David de Gruyl View Post
    Almost definitely okay for an international flight on an american carrier, but get on board early. Notes about gate checking are correct.

It will (probably) not fit in the overhead bin of an Embraer or Canadair, but it will in all the Boeings and Airbusses, and it is clearly too big for underseat storage. If you are united group 5 (basic economy) you can't even try it. Similarly, if you are group three or higher, there is a fair chance that you will have trouble finding a place for it. That being said, the 1510 is absolutely fine by United and American.

If you are concerned and live close to the airport, bring it in and check the sizer near check-in.

For flights inside of europe (or china or elsewhere) you may have issues. Particularly as local carriers have different rules.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/sty...age-size-guide
    Again, check the IATA site for regulations. But not all airlines and all equipment adheres to them.

I measured my 8x10 F64 backpack after getting the approved United Airlines proportions for carry on and verified that the plane I was on had fixed carry on baggage compartments on either side of the seating area and it fit perfectly. I was also able to put a case of 8x10 lenses in the same overhead bin. My fear was being relegated to those drop down cargo compartments and someone tossing in a hard sided case on top of my backpack. Get to the gate as early as possible so you can "claim" your overhead space.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I measured my 8x10 F64 backpack after getting the approved United Airlines proportions for carry on and verified that the plane I was on had fixed carry on baggage compartments on either side of the seating area and it fit perfectly. I was also able to put a case of 8x10 lenses in the same overhead bin. My fear was being relegated to those drop down cargo compartments and someone tossing in a hard sided case on top of my backpack. Get to the gate as early as possible so you can "claim" your overhead space.
    Yes, early boarding always gets you overhead space, but later boarders may go to extremes trying to squeeze their carry on into your same space! Or even move yours to make theirs fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Yes, early boarding always gets you overhead space, but later boarders may go to extremes trying to squeeze their carry on into your same space! Or even move yours to make theirs fit!
    Yes indeed. You have to watch who comes down the aisle with over head luggage like a hawk because as you mentioned, these folks will reconfigure an entire overhead if they get a chance to jam their bag in there come hell or high water. Many times I kneel on my seat so I have a better vantage point to watch the "bag fixers" in action and at times you need to be aggressive to protect your turf. Your odds improve when your carry on fits long ways and you can stuff some jackets or other items to close up the vertical area as tightly as possible.

The center ceiling drop down bins on the large aircraft (large center seating area in addition to aisle seating on both sides) are the worst. Folks throw bags in there like they toss trash in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Yes indeed. You have to watch who comes down the aisle with over head luggage like a hawk because as you mentioned, these folks will reconfigure an entire overhead if they get a chance to jam their bag in there come hell or high water. Many times I kneel on my seat so I have a better vantage point to watch the "bag fixers" in action and at times you need to be aggressive to protect your turf. Your odds improve when your carry on fits long ways and you can stuff some jackets or other items to close up the vertical area as tightly as possible.

The center ceiling drop down bins on the large aircraft (large center seating area in addition to aisle seating on both sides) are the worst. Folks throw bags in there like they toss trash in a dumpster.
    Get too aggressive protecting your space and you will get throw off the flight!
    Flight attendants try to accommodate all passengers and with over 1.5 million miles on UAL and Star Alliance I have seen the attendants reconfigure and squeeze carry on luggage all the time!

I've heard, but can't confirm, that in addition to the size limits, Qantas is picky about the posted weight limit as well.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

A recent wrinkle- on Thursday American offered 'complimentary' bag checking at the departure gate. As opposed to the $30 charge at the counter.
    I took the offer for my suitcase- wouldn't have for a camera- but the net result was plenty of room in the overhead bins on a full 737 flight. So you never know!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    A recent wrinkle- on Thursday American offered 'complimentary' bag checking at the departure gate. As opposed to the $30 charge at the counter.
    I took the offer for my suitcase- wouldn't have for a camera- but the net result was plenty of room in the overhead bins on a full 737 flight. So you never know!
    I’ve experienced this, too, on United. They really try... and try very sincerely to be accommodating.

The are most successful when offering both complimentary and mandatory gate check of the bigger bags.