Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

Aside from the dimensions of the overhead baggage some airlines also have a ridiculous weight limit. I flew Lufthansa to Frankfurt from HK and was told my Lowepro containing two Rollei TLRs, film and a laptop was 2 pounds over their 8kg limit. I ended up ditching my Lowepro at the airport for a lightweight backpack from one of the airport luggage shops.

Plenty of good responses but I'll add my experience.

My travel bag is the 22x14x9 category and when you take wheels and handle in account more like 23.5" high. Fits on Boeing wheels in, Airbus is wheels out.

Fully packed it is 45-50lbs and holds my Phase One and a Nikon DSLR and lenses and accessories.

I'm a 1.9 million miler on United and I get to board early. That is key to find the right spot.

Equally important is to make it look like the bag doesn't weight more than 20 lbs or you get in trouble on Lufthansa and a few other airlines. Lufthansa in SF always pulls my bag out (they are trained in recognizing camera bags at the gate) and I often have to negotiate with gate personnel to get the bag on board. Never failed but it has become part of the process.

All other accessories go in a backpack under the seat in front of me. Tripod, 4x5 and film has a space in my checked luggage.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Tripod, 4x5 and film has a space in my checked luggage.
    YMMV
    An informative post, but the sentence I copied caught my eye. We have had many threads/discussions on taking film on planes, and the debate was between hand inspection versus simply taking film in your scanned carry-on pack. The general opinion was that checked luggage gets stronger x-rays and was a no-no for film. I take it your experience differs?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    An informative post, but the sentence I copied caught my eye. We have had many threads/discussions on taking film on planes, and the debate was between hand inspection versus simply taking film in your scanned carry-on pack. The general opinion was that checked luggage gets stronger x-rays and was a no-no for film. I take it your experience differs?
    I'm aware of this and in general agree but my film is max 100 ISO. On my last trip I flew SFO - Narita - Singapore - ferry to Indonesia with X-ray scan - Singapore - Frankfurt - Marrakesh with X-Ray on arrival and questioning why I had so much equipment with me, one camera should be plenty - Frankfurt - SFO.

10 or 11 scans, hard to be sure.

No issue with the film or Fuji Instant.

Only time I had an issue is when Polaroid 803 was shipped from Ukraine to California. 5 boxes had clearly diagonal stripes over them from a hard X-ray scan. ISO 800, lesson learned the hard way.

YMMV,

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    I'm aware of this and in general agree but my film is max 100 ISO. On my last trip I flew SFO - Narita - Singapore - ferry to Indonesia with X-ray scan - Singapore - Frankfurt - Marrakesh with X-Ray on arrival and questioning why I had so much equipment with me, one camera should be plenty - Frankfurt - SFO.

10 or 11 scans, hard to be sure.

No issue with the film or Fuji Instant.

Only time I had an issue is when Polaroid 803 was shipped from Ukraine to California. 5 boxes had clearly diagonal stripes over them from a hard X-ray scan. ISO 800, lesson learned the hard way.

YMMV,
    Totally off topic, but what are you shooting the Fuji instant with?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    Totally off topic, but what are you shooting the Fuji instant with?
    On this trip it was a Wista 4x5 rangefinder camera but I also use 4x5 pacemaker and a Graflex D series

Just got back from several weeks in Europe. I hesitated to take my US sized carry-on after reading all the internet stories. Only had an MF film/digital Mamiya 645 and a Mamiya C330 TLR this trip. Had no problem at all with a 44 liter Kelty pack and the regular carry-on would have been fine. We flew in France, Italy, and Spain and no issues anywhere - maybe because we flew business class. I did discover that the Alitalia and Iberia definition of domestic business class is domestic coach with a tray or something in the middle seat so only two people a side. No legroom of course - fortunately no flight was over an hour and a half or so. (I'm 6' 2") My wife (almost 5') was perfectly happy and I was grousing the whole time because my knees were taking a beating. From watching what all the other passengers were carrying it seemed that neither Alitalia nor Iberia really cared too much what people stuffed in the overhead. Neither airline was what I'd call hyper-organized. Orly and Charles deGaulle are run by Air France and they didn't give us a hard time about anything either, even though the bag with the cameras and accessories was well over whatever per bag weight limit they talk about.

Just one data point of many.