Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick PMK handling question

Quick PMK handling question

Hi guys,

I recently had an extremely experienced friend process a batch of a 8x10 FP4+ for me in trays, 4 at a time. We used PMK developer, which he has never experimented with before as he long ago settled on T-Max with RS developer. We have noticed a good number of negatives have finger smudge marks on them from where he gently pressed the film down with the pads of his fingers to submerge them during development. They are obviously most evident in areas of flat tone, and there is generally only one per negative indicating it's happening either during the presoak or on initial introduction to the PMK developer. There was a 3 min pre-soak of all film. He's never experienced this in many thousands of sheets processed in RS developer, and I'm wondering if the staining developers are far more fussy in this regard?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Quick PMK handling question

Yes, possibly. The most obvious cause I can think of is grease from his fingers sticking to the film, reducing the rate if development in the early stages of development.
    BTW, bare hands in pmk doesn't sound like a very good idea! Better use nitrile gloves.

Drew Wiley

Pyro without gloves ??????????????????? %^#@****!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Pyro without gloves ??????????????????? %^#@****!!!!!!
    Yes I was thinking the same, been a long time since I looked at the specs but I am pretty sure this is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently had an extremely experienced friend process a batch of a 8x10 FP4+ for me in trays, 4 at a time. We used PMK developer, which he has never experimented with before as he long ago settled on T-Max with RS developer. We have noticed a good number of negatives have finger smudge marks on them from where he gently pressed the film down with the pads of his fingers to submerge them during development. They are obviously most evident in areas of flat tone, and there is generally only one per negative indicating it's happening either during the presoak or on initial introduction to the PMK developer. There was a 3 min pre-soak of all film. He's never experienced this in many thousands of sheets processed in RS developer, and I'm wondering if the staining developers are far more fussy in this regard?

Thanks,

Tim
    Either the friend is not so"extremely experienced", or he has had lots of poor experience in developing film in trays.

Was it established that no gloves were used?

I use gloves myself for staining developers...but go gloveless to unload holders and then put gloves on prior to presoaking/processing.

Years ago I'd also had some problems with finger-smudges with staining developers (ABC and PMK pyro) - and solved this by adding a few drops of photo-flo to my pre-soak. This is not only good for the crucial interval of the first few seconds of film wetting...but also in that a bit of this photo flo gets carried over into the developer and helps to mitigate deleterious effects from handling during the crucial first seconds of immersion into the developer...which tends to become less of a problem as the film begins to harden (as films do in such developers).

I've been developing in PMK for many years now (using nitrile gloves, of course). The only time I've got fingermarks on negatives is when the gloves were contaminated with fixer. Wash your gloved hands well and dry them extra well before unloading the holders, handling the film and developing and the troubles should disappear.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

Not all gloves are appropriate. I always use non-powdered disposable nitrile gloves. But I've encountered import vinyl gloves with plasticizers falsely labeled as rubber gloves, that can both give you a rash due to those plasticizers and potentially transfer such chemicals onto the film itself. And just like developer, I never get my bare fingers in fixer either, unhealthy or not. Fixer easily finds its way onto doorknobs, sink rims, light switches etc, and it's a lot easier to rinse off nitrile gloves than skin.

Wash hands first, then clean with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Then use the gloves. I would do the washing and alcohol when unloading the film and loading the film as well and when prepping to put into chemicals.

...yes, very clean hands are a must! While I don't go as far as Steven (fingers must look like raisins!) I do wash hands very thoroughly just prior to turning out the darkroom lights, using the back of my hand to operate the light switch.