Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What lens for my Z6 Mk2 enlarger to produce 16x20 prints?

45er

What lens for my Z6 Mk2 enlarger to produce 16x20 prints?

Hi,

Z6 Mk2
    150mm Sironar-N
    12x16 RC,CT,WT,FB - successful.

When I wind the enlarger head to it's maximum height (2" from ceiling) whilst using the the 150mm Sironar (camera lens) I have difficulty getting a 16x20 into focus, 12x16 is fine. The 16x20 is about an inch on X and half an inch on y short on each side.

Of course I should be using a dedicated enlarger lens, however the larger focal lengths are not so cheap even on the bay and I am struggling with funds.

I am willing to spend but I am scared I go wrong and get stuck with the wrong lens, this is something I am not likely to do again.

So I am looking for advice regarding the focal length (135-150)? and type of lens to buy.

At the moment I have tried a 135 and it covers the 16x20 but the lens has been recycled - the aperture blades don't work so I inserted a disc to make it a constant f11. Not the best solution but it is not for use with an enlarger.

My price range is about £150-200 max, any advice as to what focal length and type would be very much appreciated, especially if you are a Z6 Mk2 user!

Thankyou in advance.
    Last edited by seall; 22-Oct-2018 at 21:43.

Re: What lens for my Z6 Mk2 enlarger to produce 16x20 prints?

120 Rodagon-WA

Looks like that lens is going for 280 bucks used to 700 new on ebay. 120 Rodagon WA f/5.6.

I got a Nikkor 135 5.6 off the UK Evilbay for about 100GBP a month ago, they pop up from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Looks like that lens is going for 280 bucks used to 700 new on ebay. 120 Rodagon WA f/5.6.
    It has been a few years since a new one has been made and just as long for them to be sold new to a dealer!

I do not know, The ebay seller could be lying by saying it is new. Who knows. Sometimes I have gotten lucky and bought something out of production that was actually new or at least unused. But, it looks like I can get one of those lenses for my Durst 1000CE with the CLS450 head. How about a 150 or 210. I am going to custom make a stand to mount enlarger to so I can get enough height to make upwards of 32x40, if I can't get enough height, I will make as large as possible with vertical mount to create smaller panos till I can buy something like the L138 or bigger as I may move to 8x10 for more challenge and options. I like that size as well as 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I do not know, The ebay seller could be lying by saying it is new. Who knows. Sometimes I have gotten lucky and bought something out of production that was actually new or at least unused. But, it looks like I can get one of those lenses for my Durst 1000CE with the CLS450 head. How about a 150 or 210. I am going to custom make a stand to mount enlarger to so I can get enough height to make upwards of 32x40, if I can't get enough height, I will make as large as possible with vertical mount to create smaller panos till I can buy something like the L138 or bigger as I may move to 8x10 for more challenge and options. I like that size as well as 4x5.
    The longer the lens the greater the head to paper and the greater the chance for unwanted vibrations to settle out. Also the greater the height the less light which means that you may be working at outside the optimal aperture range of the lens. Also the higher the head the more difficult it becomes to operate the enlarger; adjust filter wheels, adjust white light control, manipulate the carrier, etc..

Drew Wiley

Vibrations? Only if the enlarger is not supported by a wall brace, as ALL vertical enlargers logically should be. Why people do otherwise I can't figure out. Kinda like not setting the brake when parking.

LOL, I am a structural engineer for Aircraft/spacecraft, I will secure that thing solid, no vibrations at all unless there is an earthquake!

45er

Thanks for the replies!

Think I am going to end up getting two lenses, one for 4x5 and one for 6x7. The sironar will do until I get hold of something better in the 150 range and I will look out for the 120 and 135 mentioned. Guess I need to look into this a lot deeper before I make a decision on what to buy.

The vibration problem is something I did not think about, specially with a wooden floor and a fridge starting and stopping on the same floor. Maybe I will rig up a wire - hook arrangement to help this.

Cheers