Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Kodak Master Camera Questions

Re: 8x10 Kodak Master Camera Questions

Again, you don't really need to purchase an actual bellows frame to use as a gauge. If someone could make a scan of one for you, that could be converted to CAD and become the basis for replicating the part. Sometimes steel is preferable to aluminum, especially if the manufacturing process requires a magnetic chuck. The weight difference would be negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Again, you don't really need to purchase an actual bellows frame to use as a gauge. If someone could make a scan of one for you, that could be converted to CAD and become the basis for replicating the part. Sometimes steel is preferable to aluminum, especially if the manufacturing process requires a magnetic chuck. The weight difference would be negligible.
    I understand what you're saying, Will, but I think it's a long shot that I'll find someone who is willing to scan that part, or even sell it, for that matter. The rear bellows frame is integral to any functioning camera, and I assume that one would have to unscrew and unglue the bellows to scan it. Even if the camera was non-functional, it seems unlikely that someone would be willing to dismantle his bellows to extract this part for scanning. To be frank, scanning an object and computer-aided design are miles out of my wheelhouse. I'd be thrilled, though, if someone were able to do this for me. I'd be happy to pay.

But, assuming that no one turns up who is willing to do this, do you think my proposal above would work, perhaps switching the aluminum to steel?

Cameron Cornell
    Washington State
    www.analogportraiture.com

New Orleans, LA

Big fan of the KMV. Beyond the great design and quick setup, I like that the screw, nut, and bolt sizes are easily found at any neighborhood hardware store. You'll find them listed in the 1954 Parts List at https://www.butkus.org. Except for the screws that attach the rear bellows frame to the camera! I went to a few hardware stores and got the closest thing I could find but, in installing the new screws, a few of the heads broke off because of the force needed. I've probably mangled the screw holes and it's been bugging me ever since. All of this is to say that I may be taking the rear bellows frame apart so that I can address the issue and, at that time, can scan the frame and offer any other assistance to you.

As far as mounting lenses, I found a KMV-to-Technika reducing lens board which works great and allows me to share lenses with another camera.

My first 8x10 was a Deardorff, which I treasured. But, in the real world, it was loose and fiddly and was not the quickest to rack focus on. Took a workshop with Michael and Paula and was able to see the KMV in action. The front focusing design is what convinced me to switch from the Deardorff. Quick and easy. Everything else on the camera was lagniappe and, every time I use it, I thank the gods of Rochester for making such a useable camera.

New Orleans, LA

I believe this is a Colorama of the in-house studio at Kodak. KMV's in action!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorama_6-1170x731-1434406693.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	183731

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Big fan of the KMV. Beyond the great design and quick setup, I like that the screw, nut, and bolt sizes are easily found at any neighborhood hardware store. You'll find them listed in the 1954 Parts List at https://www.butkus.org. Except for the screws that attach the rear bellows frame to the camera! I went to a few hardware stores and got the closest thing I could find but, in installing the new screws, a few of the heads broke off because of the force needed. I've probably mangled the screw holes and it's been bugging me ever since. All of this is to say that I may be taking the rear bellows frame apart so that I can address the issue and, at that time, can scan the frame and offer any other assistance to you.

As far as mounting lenses, I found a KMV-to-Technika reducing lens board which works great and allows me to share lenses with another camera.

My first 8x10 was a Deardorff, which I treasured. But, in the real world, it was loose and fiddly and was not the quickest to rack focus on. Took a workshop with Michael and Paula and was able to see the KMV in action. The front focusing design is what convinced me to switch from the Deardorff. Quick and easy. Everything else on the camera was lagniappe and, every time I use it, I thank the gods of Rochester for making such a useable camera.
    Thom, that’s a really generous offer. If you do decide to follow through on that project, send me a message and maybe we can work something out. I really appreciate the thought. I’m also glad you sent the link to that parts list. There was one screw missing from the handle hardware on my camera, and that parts list enabled me to just order the screw I need without any guesswork.

Cheers,

Cameron

One issue with the KMV is the 1/4-20 female tripod mount. It is recessed more than modern tripod plate screws reach.

We need to use a longer, perhaps older or an adjustable camera mount screw.

Majestic screws are adjustable as are Ries.

Glennview offers a custom replacement for the female socket with the added security of making it 3/8-16 which I vastly prefer to 1/4-20.

For now I use a Majestic head with a large video QR/KWIK STAND XL made in USA by Kessler Crane.
    Tin Can

haha, I look at the Colorama shot and remember that at no time in my Kodak career did I ever have access to studio space like that. Although EK's downtown studios (for the advertising guys) was pretty impressive the one time I visited. Worth noting, as well, that the Coloramas were shot with a 12x20 Deardorff. And best of luck with your KMV project, Mr. Cornell!

The Kodak Coloramas were shot on a variety of equipkent from banquet cameras down to 35mm.

New Orleans, LA

As Avedon said, "All photographs are accurate. None of them are the truth." Should have realized that studio was too good to be true. Were the Colorama's shot on Kodachrome? Was 12x20 color film a readily available format back then. Those must have been something to see on the light table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    haha, I look at the Colorama shot and remember that at no time in my Kodak career did I ever have access to studio space like that. Although EK's downtown studios (for the advertising guys) was pretty impressive the one time I visited. Worth noting, as well, that the Coloramas were shot with a 12x20 Deardorff. And best of luck with your KMV project, Mr. Cornell!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    As Avedon said, "All photographs are accurate. None of them are the truth."
    Hmmm, I've always found that all photographs are true, and none of them are accurate...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."