Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 8x10 Kodak Master Camera Questions

Re: 8x10 Kodak Master Camera Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Cornell View Post
    ... I finally tested the Kodak Master View last weekend with a 10" Wollensak Vitax. It was a pleasure to use and the negatives look fine...
    Congratulations! Look forward to you posting all your killer image for us to ogle.

New Orleans, LA

Nice looking rig! Glad you worked out all the issues with the back. Good luck on your adventure!

Best of luck! No doubt that you'll put it to good use. I do miss mine, although it went to a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Cornell View Post
    Further to this question of the rear bellows frame, I have contacted Keith at Custom Bellows in England and Michael Smith to ask if either have a spare part that I could buy. Custom Bellows does not. I haven’t heard back from Michael.

My thought is to give the precise dimensions to a machine shop and have them fabricate a frame out of aluminum, say, and instead of worrying about getting threaded holes and using the original tiny screws, just drilling holes in the bellows frame to match the holes in the rear standard and using tiny bolts and nuts when it comes time to secure the whole thing. I checked this morning, and there is plenty of clearance between the 8 x 10 back and the body of the camera for a small bolt. I already have tiny bolts and nuts that would probably fit the bill that I bought when I was mounting a Vitax flange to a lens board.

What do you think?

Cameron Cornell
    Washington State
    www.analogportraiture.com
    Self tapping screws come to mind.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Susie

Hi Guys,

A very interesting thread - thank you all for posting.

I saw a KMV quite a while ago when I attended a wet-plate course, but have not persued the aquisition of one - they are really rare in the UK.

I do, howver, still own one of a pair of Kodak Commercial View cameras that I bought 15 or 20 years ago. This is the one made between the late 30s and early 40s as a magnesium version of the 2D. From what I gather from various sites, this was discontinued due to the military demand for magnesium for the war effort. At one point I was going to convert the poorer of the two to an 8 x 20 camera, but didn't get round to it and sold it when I was scaling down my kit.

The KCV is a great bit of kit but the KMV does seem much more "field friendly". The KCV has an additional base board to extend the bellows which is something else to carry; does the KMV work like a giant Linhof Technika?

I hope you have a good time in Europe, Cameron.

Best wishes,

Sue

Sue, if this helps, the KMV is more like a metal Deardorff or Gandolfi, although the Technika comparison is not too far off. It is a clamshell type camera; Closed, it sits flat on the tripod, and you raise the rear standard from its base. Then set up the front standard and extend the bellows.
    The KMV is more compact than the Commercial, to be sure. It does not have as much bellows extension, but front tilts are built-in.
    They are both excellent cameras; I've used both but preferred the KMV for field use- in fact I owned one for some years. I suspect that the Commercial would do better with very long lenses, a colleague used a 28"(?) Turner-Reich convertible lens on his.
    So "horses for courses".

I just bought a KMV after waiting decades. It strikes me as just right in so many ways. If it works out, I'll be selling three other 8x10s.

Bill Kostelec

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Frith View Post
    Hi Guys,

I do, howver, still own one of a pair of Kodak Commercial View cameras that I bought 15 or 20 years ago. This is the one made between the late 30s and early 40s as a magnesium version of the 2D. From what I gather from various sites, this was discontinued due to the military demand for magnesium for the war effort.
    Best wishes,

Sue
    That is the story I heard about the Commercial view, that it was only made until about 1943. It sounds as if Gustafson is suggesting they were made until 1953 or so. One of those photo legends. Mine is in regular use and really a fun camera.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    I believe this is a Colorama of the in-house studio at Kodak. KMV's in action!

Attachment 183731
    I bet it gets warm in that studio!!! ;-)

Steve K