Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt in the minority?

Ever felt in the minority?

Everytime I try to talk to my friends about the zone system, especially its relevance to today's photography including using it with digital cameras I get a beat down if you will about how it was good then but not now, how it doesn't work today and how digital is so much better than film, etc. What I find interesting is my friends who started in film are the most anti film anything, although they try to say they like film, it is obvious from their arguments they have rejected film anything.

Things like the zone system won work for digital, which I categorically reject, the adoption of expose to the right for digital, which I also categorically reject, but try to show them how it can work for digital they almost get angry for even suggesting such heresy.

Or maybe it is just me, as the older I get, the mo e I am flinging I am rejecting technology and yearning for the "old" ways. I wish I could apprentice with an artist from the past.

Another thing I find is that old school photographers were smart people. They had to be to keep there equipment running in good order. I just overhauled my Durst CLS450 he d I just b ought with a Laboratory CE 1000. That was kinda fun.

Re: Ever felt in the minority?

Welcome to Curmudgeonhood. It eventually affects us all!

People tend to degrade the tools and knowledge from the past, because they've ditched all that when going digital. They have to keep telling themselves and others that it was the right choice. Consequently, all concerning film must be outdated.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Things like the zone system won work for digital, which I categorically reject,

sorry to ask, but do you use the zone system when you expose chromes or paper negatives
    or if you shoot WP ... with tintypes/ ambrotypes?

im not trying to be a PITA or side with your digital film haters
    but because paper and chromes are a useless task with the zone system
    ( can't speak for collodion, i don't use it). i shoot a lot of paper and
    the latitude is slim, sometimes slim to none, and while i know how to slide my exposure
    with film and understand the zone system is useless ( at least for me) with anything but negative film.

its too bad people who like digital can't be nice
    and people who use film can't be nice and we can just all get along.....

This forum is aimed directly at Large Format as defined by the Mods, 4X5 capture or bigger on any sensitive medium, including digital.

Many members recognize that photography is photography in any medium.

I am not the only the only one here shooting images with everything I can, including iPod, tablets, cell phones, P&S, DSLR, mirrorless and most formats of film.

This forum also allows all those 'capture methods' to be discussed and posted in the Mod determined forum location.
    Tin Can

Horses for courses. All means and methods work, from glass plate to roll film to pinhole and paper negative to digital. Sunny 16, zone system, and digital spotmeter are all part of the puzzle.

Single image workflow of 4x5 film suits me best at the moment. In the future it may, or may not, suit me best.

I tend to use whatever tool wil work and parts there of. Even though the zone system isn't designed arou d anything but a negative bw image, there are elements that work witb slide film, etc. For example, i look at a scen, and decide what I want to have detal, meter it then either shoot or decrease/incrwase exposure to place it where I want. For example snow if you just meter and shoot it comes out gray. So I meter then increase exposure time 1 or 2 stops. The zone system way of thinking helps me. And since I am going to print most of my images either by scanning developing in PS or LR and then print or in a traditional darkroom I think about my scenen and how I kneed to expose tk achieve my vision for the he final pri ted image thru the method I choose.

I find he zone system and parts of itand other methods relevant for not only film, but digital capture as well. I use all formats available, but there is a certain satisfaction from making an image that involves the old ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry to ask, but do you use the zone system when you expose chromes or paper negatives
    or if you shoot WP ... with tintypes/ ambrotypes?
    John, you’re a hoot! I can’t imagine trying to apply the zone system to wet plate collodion work. Most days I’m grateful that an image appears on the plate at all!

Foamer

Since I'm almost always the only one there when I take photos, I don't worry about what others might think. Even if they were there, I wouldn't worry about it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I find he zone system and parts of itand other methods relevant for not only film, but digital capture as well. I use all formats available, but there is a certain satisfaction from making an image that involves the old ways.
    That's different than saying you categorically reject digital.

I'm in the minority in many aspects of my life. I am not bothered by the feeling. I'm perhaps in the minority here because I shoot B&W film and don't use a system of exposure but rather an incident meter. Works fine for snow.