Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo-View 45 G

Toyo-View 45 G

It's not my first rodeo with large format - my first efforts were academically undergone on an old gray mare - Calumet, I don't remember much else about it except it was heavy to lug around. I also exposed film and paper in a 4x5 pinhole camera . . . so nice. Today I thinker with building pinhole cameras that support things like 4x5 roll film holders and sheet film -- I have also been experiementing with a dual convex 15cm lens ... obscura time!

I recently decided I'd get my own LF camera and purchased a, new to me, Toyo-View 45G with rotating back. I also picked up one 10" extension rail, I haven't found another one yet :/ I also had purchased, but returned, a Quick Slide back that supposedly fit into the graflok of the 45G - but did not. Upon research and reaching out to the Toyo-View helpers, learned that my camera having the 360˚ back was why the model of Quick Slide wouldn't mount. Seems I need the 180719 model, which B&H wants like $1200 for :/

I purchased my first lens a super dirt cheap Tominon 127 in an antique Copal Polaroid shutter ... got it cheap, it didn't have the retaining ring. Probably a garbage lens and shutter, but I'm kind of "experimental" with my photography. I'm a big fan of doing things in analog, converting to digital, then printing in the analog styles . . . sometimes. It just depends on my frame of mind and the image . . . not everything is a great cyanotype print, you know.

I'm currently waiting on some lens boards to arrive and a nice new-to-me shutter release cable ... and trying to find the right "first" lens for this new toy.
    Looks like I'm buying from Japan, and I'm a little skeptical --- see other post somewhere about that.

Also:
    My 45G needs a couple things to be tip-top ...
    (1) Spirit Level (one of the levels is busted, not fluid).
    (2) Little Screw-in cap for the upright, it has 3 of the 4 :/

Otherwise, I'd say this thing was in nice shape ... yes, it's an early 45G given it's chrome monorail and uprights.

P.S. If you have a tripod head recommendation, something not too ridiculous -- I'd like that. I have a Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripood and a ball head (not for LF).

Re: Toyo-View 45 G

Welcome to the forum, Robert! I'm in St. Louis and my daughter is attending MS&T in Rolla. Where are you in central Missouri? I agree with you about ballheads and large format but others use them. I own Ries double tilt heads on both my Ries tripods. Great heads but not exactly low budget. I think Bogen made a pan tilt head that may work for you. I wouldn't know the model number though. Maybe someone else will chime in. If they don't, then ask in the gear section. You could also look at used Gitzo aluminum or Majestic if you don't mind changing tripods.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJSherman View Post
    It's not my first rodeo with large format - my first efforts were academically undergone on an old gray mare - Calumet, I don't remember much else about it except it was heavy to lug around. I also exposed film and paper in a 4x5 pinhole camera . . . so nice. Today I thinker with building pinhole cameras that support things like 4x5 roll film holders and sheet film -- I have also been experiementing with a dual convex 15cm lens ... obscura time!

I recently decided I'd get my own LF camera and purchased a, new to me, Toyo-View 45G with rotating back. I also picked up one 10" extension rail, I haven't found another one yet :/ I also had purchased, but returned, a Quick Slide back that supposedly fit into the graflok of the 45G - but did not. Upon research and reaching out to the Toyo-View helpers, learned that my camera having the 360˚ back was why the model of Quick Slide wouldn't mount. Seems I need the 180719 model, which B&H wants like $1200 for :/

I purchased my first lens a super dirt cheap Tominon 127 in an antique Copal Polaroid shutter ... got it cheap, it didn't have the retaining ring. Probably a garbage lens and shutter, but I'm kind of "experimental" with my photography. I'm a big fan of doing things in analog, converting to digital, then printing in the analog styles . . . sometimes. It just depends on my frame of mind and the image . . . not everything is a great cyanotype print, you know.

I'm currently waiting on some lens boards to arrive and a nice new-to-me shutter release cable ... and trying to find the right "first" lens for this new toy.
    Looks like I'm buying from Japan, and I'm a little skeptical --- see other post somewhere about that.

Also:
    My 45G needs a couple things to be tip-top ...
    (1) Spirit Level (one of the levels is busted, not fluid).
    (2) Little Screw-in cap for the upright, it has 3 of the 4 :/

Otherwise, I'd say this thing was in nice shape ... yes, it's an early 45G given it's chrome monorail and uprights.

P.S. If you have a tripod head recommendation, something not too ridiculous -- I'd like that. I have a Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripood and a ball head (not for LF).
    You may be able to find a bubble level on eBay which fits the accessory shoe. I believe the 45G has an accessory shoe on the front standard. You may even be able to find replacement bubble levels. Here's a link to Toyo parts: http://www.toyoview.com/Products/Acc...s/45C&Gac.html

A good used Bogen/Manfrotto like a 3051, 3036, 3033, etc. would work nicely. I like the 3047 head for them. I also have a Gitzo G1320 and a G1375M ball head combo. They're as sturdy as they come.

You might also scour eBay for some parts. Sometimes there are "parts only" cameras out there that can be scavenged.

If you can't find the screw in cap for the standard, try a hardware store for a small external, slip-on cap. They come in diameters of less than .5". I use them to cover open ended copper tubing.
    Best,
    Dennis

Alan and Dennis,

Thanks for the replies. I was able to locate a Toyo replacement spirit level - got it for half what B&H wanted for it --- B&H used to be all-time favorite camera supply shop but lately I've been pretty disappointed by some of the pricing :/ Anyway.

I've been back and forth of tripods and heads - my existing tripod is not gonna work out - so ... I've been checking into 26.5lbs max-weight tripods, looking like Benro has some decent prices and user feedback. I honestly wish I could afford something like a Reis - but those are way outta my league right now

I do think the Benro head and legs will do what I need for the time being.

Alan,

I'm currently hanging my hat in Columbia, but getting ready to close on a house in JCMO. My step daughter lives in STL, we visit every once and a while. I almost attended S&T - but, they didn't have much of an art program (LOL) . . . so I wound up in COMO - studied philosophy and art. I'm pretty stoked about the house we are trying to close on, got an existing 6x11 room with plumbing and a vent duct (to the outside) . . . hello Darkroom

----
    “Good photography is not about ‘Zone Printing’ or any other Ansel Adams nonsense. It’s just about seeing. You either see, or you don’t see.”

― Elliott Erwitt

I studied art at St. Louis Community College. I was planning on going into commercial art but I found that although I liked art, I didn't care for the commercial part! I became a Union Sheet Metal Worker instead since I also liked mechanical.

I'd recommend finding a used tripod over a new one. You can save quite a bit. I purchased both my Ries tripods used off eBay. Ries are still pricey used though. I lucked out and got a couple deals.

I've passed by Columbia on the way to Kansas City and I've also been to the college for a Rolling Stones concert years ago. I've never been to Jefferson City though. I have a cousin who is an attorney. She's been there and said that it was an interesting place. Good luck on the house and darkroom!

I spent last winter rebuilding Toyo views. Check the bellows for pinholes before you waste and time or film. They may look good, but extend them and put a flash light inside in a darkened room and check especially the corners. Don't bother trying to repair them get a new one from Rudy in Hong Kong.

Neal,

Thanks for your advice, I tested them and grumble grumble -- how do I reach this Rudy in Hong Kong? I need new bellowes -- numerous light penetrations from the mid-section-corners, the ends were in good shape and these leaks weren't easily noticeble until I added the rail extension.
    Last edited by RobertJSherman; 17-Nov-2018 at 18:32.
    “Good photography is not about ‘Zone Printing’ or any other Ansel Adams nonsense. It’s just about seeing. You either see, or you don’t see.”

― Elliott Erwitt

Neal,

I think I found them (ecbuyonline2008) ... turns out I've ordered some stuff from them before - mostly shutter release cables, but I see they have a bellows replacement for about $84.

One more thing, where can I find some instructional information on replacing the bellows --- it looks like the bellows are secured via screws to the graflock frame, and on the inside there's a retaining square (for lack of better word to describe it). Is there a glue or epoxy of some kind used? Assuming the factory only affixed the bellows (leather/cloth) to the frame by screws and retaining square, it looks like an "ahem simple" operation.

Let me know if there's a resource for the replacement, thanks.

― Elliott Erwitt

First you have to determine which generation of Toyo bellows you have, as they have different dimensions. First generation had metal frames into which the bellows were glued. Second generation had plastic frames. Third generation has plastic frames of a different design to allow for bellows of slightly larger dimensions. On the latest Toyo view cameras, you won't be able to mount a lens in a recessed lensboard without removing the bellows from the front standard first and then reattaching afterwards unless you have third generation frames. Not enough clearance. Rudy will ask you which of the two bellows sizes you want. I will next post photos of gen 2 and gen 3 frames. When it comes to installation, you don't need glue of any kind. However, replacement bellows are usually thicker than the old, worthless Toyo originals. The mounting screws will be too short. I countersink each screw hole just a bit in the frames with a drill so that the screws will bite into the holes of the metal inner frame. Use a pin to punch through a pilot hole in the bellows. Don't even consider "new old stock" Toyo factory bellows they will soon have the same pinholes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6876.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	184562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6877.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	184563

3rd gen frames on left, 2nd gen on right