Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sironar-N and Sironar-S Shutter swap possible?

Sironar-N and Sironar-S Shutter swap possible?

I currently own a Sironar-N 210 in Copal 1 shutter and am looking at purchasing a Sironar-S 210 in Copal Press 1 shutter to replace it (for the extra coverage). I have never used a Copal Press shutter before and like the idea of the “self cocking” release, however I will miss having shutter speeds faster than 1/125 of a second.

I may end up loving the Press shutter but in the event that I don’t.... can I just unscrew the cells from each shutter and swap them? I did some searching but could only find info on replacing a shutter of the same type in the same lens, or adding a shutter to a lens that does not have one. It is unclear if this will a) work perfectly b) not work at all and need some work at s.k. Grimes, or c) work but need new aperture scales.

Any input anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Sironar-N and Sironar-S Shutter swap possible?

Do you have Sironar N or Apo Sironar N? Both in 210 fit a 1 shutter.

Whatever you do you do not want a Copal Press, if you want a press shutter then you only want a Prontor Press 01 shutter. Otherwise you want a Copal 1 with the proper scales!

The Prontor Press 01 has speeds to 250. The Prontor Press goes to 125.

Thanks for the reply Bob! I have a “plain” Sironar-N (Marked as MC and with “Sinar” engraved on the lens, although it is NOT branded as Sinaron S. Serial number puts it in the early 80s.

Can you elaborate on why I don’t want the Copal Press under any circumstances? Is it the limited shutter speed or something else that I am overlooking? If all of this is as simple as swapping shutters, my intention would be to sell the Sironar-N with press shutter. If that will kill the value (or require further calibration) then it would be a bad idea I am thinking.

As I type this I am realizing that I should just wait for a 210 S in Copal 1 at the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by Matted View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bob! I have a “plain” Sironar-N (Marked as MC and with “Sinar” engraved on the lens, although it is NOT branded as Sinaron S. Serial number puts it in the early 80s.

Can you elaborate on why I don’t want the Copal Press under any circumstances? Is it the limited shutter speed or something else that I am overlooking? If all of this is as simple as swapping shutters, my intention would be to sell the Sironar-N with press shutter. If that will kill the value (or require further calibration) then it would be a bad idea I am thinking.

As I type this I am realizing that I should just wait for a 210 S in Copal 1 at the right price.
    Copal Press has lots of vibration compared to other mechanical shutter and is tricky with a cable release.
    Prontor Pro has greater range of speeds and the least vibration of any mechanical shutter.it can also add accessories to control all shutter functions from behind the camera!

I will miss having shutter speeds faster than 1/125 of a second.

Any input anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I swapped a 240 N in Copal #3 with a 240 S (Sinaron SE DB) for use on a 8x10" and sold the N. Are you sure you need the extra coverage? Is there any guarantee on the S? Some of my Copal #1 goes to 1/400 second, but does not run faster than 1/180 - checked via "Shutter times"app- and a light sensitive resistor-plug, have you tested the shutter so you know the times?

Sent fra min D6503 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post

Copal Press has lots of vibration compared to other mechanical shutter and is tricky with a cable release.
    Prontor Pro has greater range of speeds and the least vibration of any mechanical shutter.it can also add accessories to control all shutter functions from behind the camera!
    Thanks again Bob. The Prontor Pro sounds great. Unfortunately I just missed a Sironar-S 210 in Prontor Pro at Badger Graphic...

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    I swapped a 240 N in Copal #3 with a 240 S (Sinaron SE DB) for use on a 8x10" and sold the N. Are you sure you need the extra coverage? Is there any guarantee on the S? Some of my Copal #1 goes to 1/400 second, but does not run faster than 1/180 - checked via "Shutter times"app- and a light sensitive resistor-plug, have you tested the shutter so you know the times?

Sent fra min D6503 via Tapatalk

Yes, the extra coverage is for 8x10. Not much room for movements at infinity but any extra coverage will help for my intended useage.

Good point about actually testing the shutter speeds! I have not actually done this yet. I think I am going to pass on the Copal Press lens anyway, but I should actually test the shutters on all my lenses.

Hi Matted,

Do you really need / want "extra coverage" ?

Assuming both lenses properly cover the film at infinity...
    Any "extra coverage" only enables greater movements.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Matted,

Do you really need / want "extra coverage" ?

Assuming both lenses properly cover the film at infinity...
    Any "extra coverage" only enables greater movements.

- Leigh
    I may be wrong but I don’t think the Sironar-N covers 8x10 at infinity. According to the specs it comes up a few mm short (301mm), and I have found a thread where it was mentioned that it vignettes at infinity. The S just covers at infinity, and will have more room for movements at closer working distances.

A helpful forum member pointed me towards the 210mm Sironar (W) lens that has considerably more coverage. Aside from the obvious size, weight, and cost increase over the Sironar-S, are there any downsides to the 210 W? It will be used for both colour and b&w, medium to high magnification (with 4x5) and for both studio/tabletop and landscape. My plan was to sell the N lens but I suppose I could keep it as a lightweight/travel lens when I want to pack light.

A helpful forum member pointed me towards the 210mm Sironar (W) lens that has considerably more coverage. Aside from the obvious size, weight, and cost increase over the Sironar-S, are there any downsides to the 210 W?
    Hi Matted,

I have both the Sironar-S and the Sironar (W).
    I didn't mention the W because it was not mentioned earlier in the thread.

There are major differences.
    The image circle for the S is 316mm. The ic for the W is 352mm. The diagonal of 8x10 is 325mm.
    The weight of the S is 490 grams; for the W it's 950 grams, almost twice.

I think they're both excellent lenses.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.