Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Australia

Red face Hello from Australia

Hi to all,

By way of introduction, I came back to film photography a couple of years ago with the goal of making my process more considered. It was an opportunity to embrace medium format when the camera of my dreams was at last affordable as digital crashed through the film world. Now, I'm thrilled to embrace large format which I never really believed I could. It always seemed so unattainable. I live about 50kms north of Sydney, Australia. As a retired person I have time to indulge my photography passion.

I'm a total large format newbie who joined this group a month or so ago after lurking about on and off for ages. I've finally taken the plunge after a local 4x5 photographer offered to let me use his camera which by chance is a Chamonix, the camera sharing the top priority spot on my wish list! No need to say that I'm totally besotted with it.

This Forum has been a fantastic resource, guiding me through the many questions I've had about cameras, lenses, choices that seem unique to me but of course many others have had which have been discussed here and helped me clarify my thoughts and ideas. Thank you to those who have already offered me huge shoulders to step upon.

My question for today is. . .I have purchased some secondhand 4x5 film holders that arrived today. Pristine condition. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they are all loaded with film! One sheet has been exposed. Film unknown. My thought is that if I assume it is B&W, then maybe if I expose one sheet at 100 ISO as a safe option, then develop it, I could use them. Also I hope I may recover the image on the exposed sheet once I'm confident that it's the right combination of exposure and development. I often use Rodinal at 1:50. It seems to me that Rodinal 1:100 stand development might be a good option (I've never used stand development before). Your thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

After all the research into what I would choose as my camera kit I'm taking baby steps towards pulling it together. My camera will be ordered today. I have purchased a Schneider APO Symmar 5.6/210mm lens which I hope will be my workhorse lens. It is large and bright which is what I need for my less than perfect eyes (it's an age thing!). I'll build on this once I figure out how large format fits in with my medium format and 35mm passions. I look forward to enjoying being part of this extraordinary community.

Lorraine

To Admin: If my question contained in this thread needs to be placed on another forum I'm happy to place it into a new thread.

Les

Re: Hello from Australia

Welcome to the LF forum. Indeed, there is lots of knowledge here. Prior to developing this film (in holders), you might want to *feel* the notches
    at the bottom of the holder, which should identify the particular film....naturally in the dark....and proceed from there. Congrats on your new rig.

Les

Hi Les
    Thank you for the welcome and your advice. Steve Simmons's book has the film data charts for me to reference. It shows how green I am that I didnt even think about the notches on the film sheet despite reading about them and loading up holders for the borrowed camera. Thank you - I'm off to prepare the changing bag! Lorraine

Yes Hi Lorraine and welcome, there aren't many Aussies doing it these days, good to see another one taking up the passion. I live in Stanthorpe just across the border in QLD, if you are ever up this way drop me a line, its not often one gets to talk to another enthusiast.

Andrew

Hi Andrew and thank you. Yes, I sometimes feel like a dinosaur with some of my rare interests. I know Stanthorpe as it is where my father was born - a nice part of the country. I'll keep my eye out for your posts and let me know if you are in Sydney anytime. cheers, Lorraine

Welcome to the LFF, Lorraine! Planning a trip to Brisbane next summer (your winter)... good friend of mine's 50th birthday, and 20th wedding anniversary bash. Was there for the wedding (groomsman)... had my 4x5 with me. Hopefully this time I'll have the 8x10. Cheers!

Hi Andrew, it's great to be here! Thank you for the welcome. I'm impressed that you plan to travel with a 8X10 but it does give me hope that I might manage to travel OS with a 4x5 at some stage. That would be fantastic. cheers, Lorraine

Lachlan 717

Hi, and welcome, from Melbourne!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hi Lachlan, nice to meet another Aussie here. I imagine there are not too many of us though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainymac View Post
    Hi Lachlan, nice to meet another Aussie here. I imagine there are not too many of us though!
    Hi Gary from Perth welcome , Enjoy the ride .