Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Etiquette

Field Etiquette

Earlier this week I was photographing along the Oregon Coast on my return from Vancouver Island. On one particular stretch of beach I was up and out with my camera shortly after 6:30 in the morning anticipating the usual relatively vacant beach at that hour. However, to my dismay, an army of large format photographers appeared on the horizon and began setting up their cameras, all seemingly in the way of one another. One chap did not move from his prominent spot for a considerable amount of time, reminding me of why group photo outings have never had an appeal.

So, to the question of etiquette; is it a case of territorial rights for the first to arrive, or should there be an unwritten rule to take your shot and move on?

Doug Dolde

Field Etiquette

I'm a lone shooter too if possible. I once found myself shooting with another guy in Sedona but it wasn't much problem to cooperate with just two of us.

I think rules are nonexistent but if these guys were too rude and intrusive, I'd probably find another spot rather than fight it.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Field Etiquette

if there are that many people lined up in the same spot, pointing at the same thing, isn't this a pretty good warning that you are about to embark on a major cliche? forget about etiquette ... if there are that many photographers lurking, just go somewhere they wouldn't think of going.

Field Etiquette

The person who is there first should have dibs. A B-B gun might be helpful...

Field Etiquette

Be they armed with large format or beach walkers, it is difficult to have a clear horizon at Cannon Beach almost any day of the week. It is arguably their right as much as yours to be there.

I am envious that you seem to be local enough to know that there is "the usual relative vacant . . " I might guess that you can stop by there often. I enjoy shooting at any time, both alone as well as with other photographers. I don't feel obliged to follow a herd, but there is great comraderie to be had with other like minded souls and time to share tales and tips before and after shooting hours. After all, that comraderie is one of the reasons I frequent these forums!

Field Etiquette

Unfortunately, in the public domain there is no exclusivity when it comes to the natural landscape. The other photographers have as much right to it as you. Your options are to change the perspective to exclude them, photoshop them out (if that is possible) or find a place that you can be by yourself.

On the other side of the equation I personally would go over and introduce yourself to the others in the possibility that they are reasonable and if there is a way to work together to help each other out because you may be in their view as well. Worth a shot.

Nice to see that there are others shooting because that means they must be purchasing sheet film.

Cheers!

Field Etiquette

Hi Merg!

I seldom see any other large format photographers, much less a gang of them!

My guess would be that you came across some sort of workshop, in which case the facilitator could/should have given the troops a mini course in manners.

I always try to be polite to the public as well as other photographers I meet---it seems like good manners to let someone whos already on scene to "play through" and good manners to get out of the way so others can shoot when you're done.

Sounds like an otherwise great trip though.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Field Etiquette

When a gang of photographers show up to point their cameras in the same direction as yours, it is time to seriously question your subject. I'd turn the camera around and photograph the photographers.

Field Etiquette

I'd probably do the same as jj, but I also suspect you ran into a workshop if they all showed up at once.

Eric Biggerstaff

Field Etiquette

I think it is a question of manners, or lack there of.

Most photographers I run into are polite and respectful. I did have an occasion last year while in Yosemite to have a person actually come down to where I was photographing, look at me, look at what I was looking at and then place their tripod in front of mine!

I was kind of amazed and just stood there for a minute or two hoping this person would realize what he had done. But no, he just went on composing and working right in front of my scene. Finally I said, "Excuse me, but you are in my photograph" , to which he replied "Oh, I wish you would of told me sooner'.

I was going to jump his case for beign a rude S.O.B. but then I decided he was but a simple idiot and no matter what I said he would not understand. So I packed up the camera and left for a different location.

Manners and respect are, to an extent,greatly lacking today. People care only about what they are doing and have no idea what impact it might have on others.

A group of large format photographers is rare, so I agree that it must of been a workshop. However, I do believe that workshop or not, people should be aware of their actions and how it impacts others around them. Jsut because they showed up in a group doesn't give them the right to get in Merg's way while she was working. She has a right to be able to work on her art as much as they do even if the are paying a "guide" to take them to the best locations.

I always try to be polite, sometimes to a fault. I am at the point now however that I will always say something to someone who has ticked me off. While I know it won't change things at least I got my two cents worth in.

Merg, I hope you made a lot of other great images during your trip.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com