Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to pick up LF again: Film suggestion for 4x5" and/or suitable developer for HP5

Re: Want to pick up LF again: Film suggestion for 4x5" and/or suitable developer for

Yes, Luis is right (for me)!!

HC-110 in dilutions B, G, and H gives me flexibility here in New Mexico, which gets hot in the summer, 100F+ or 38C+ on really bad days, and since I live in a very small space, with tap water (for temperature control) sometimes pretty warm.

HC-110 makes mixing easy; I use a 25-ml graduate to go from concentrate to actual developer (B, G, H); I do not make intermediate stock solutions. Advice that I received, I pass on: When closing the HC-110 concentrate bottle, squeeze out some air, BUT be sure to use a plastic bag or equivalent atop the mouth of the bottle and then screw the cap down tightly. (If you don't use a thin-film plastic, the bottle will take in air. Why? Ask Kodak/Alaris.)

I mix developers in 1,000ml batches in $10 Nalgene bottles graduated in milliliters--which marks I check--because I use ~<500ml for development of 4-4x5 sheets in my SP-445 from Stearman Press LLC. This works in my limited space--only one closet dark enough to load film holders and the SP-445; the processing can be done in the kitchen under normal light once the 4 sheets are loaded into the SP-445. Worth every penny!

Film? I settled on HP5+ because of (1) cost and (2) reasonably assured future supply. I can't comment on HP5+ and other films.
    Last edited by Peter Collins; 9-Oct-2018 at 12:27. Reason: Greater clarity--my fond hope!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Re: Want to pick up LF again: Film suggestion for 4x5" and/or suitable developer for

Surprised no one has mentioned Rodinal aka Adonal yet. Long shelf life, cheap, great for LF sized negatives. My two cents mirrors most of what has mentioned so far: https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...ite-developers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Probably because he wants full emulsion speed and rodinal isn't exactly known for achieving that.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    BTW, as an alternative to pyrocat, you can use Moersch finol or tanol. Should be easily available in Germany and the results are in my experience virtually identical to pyrocat.
    Ah cool, than I will try Moersch since I want to order there anyway to try out D23 ... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Also, I prefer Tmax, a box of 50 is only 2.00 a sheet, Hp-5 400 is about 1.60 a sheet so not much difference 80 vs a 100 bucks. But HP5-400 should be good. Those are my preferences at the moment.
    Prices in Germany are quite different. HP is at 1.84 per sheet, TMAX at 2.60 - almost a third more expensive. Plus I don't want to use a T-shaped crystal film, instead I prefer a more "classic" one ...

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Probably because he wants full emulsion speed and rodinal isn't exactly known for achieving that.
    Plus as fair as I read Rodinal enhances the grain more than other developers ...

I recommend the Moersch product; I've tried his finol years ago and it was fantastic. Later I started meddling with pyrocat and got the same results, but Moersch does all the weighing and mixing for you

And yes, rodinal tends to emphasize grain a little more. But in LF that's usually not such a big deal. The speed penalty sounds like a deal breaker for you though.