Thread: C-stand for 8x10 in the studio?

C-stand for 8x10 in the studio?

I have a C-stand with wheels that I use only for lights, and am wondering if anyone has experience using a setup like this for an 8x10 in the studio? I don't know what hardware I need to attach the camera to the stand but I'm interested in considering it. Short of a massive studio stand, I setup like this could add welcome mobility...

Re: C-stand for 8x10 in the studio?

I use a large rolling light stand as a camera stand in the studio for medium and small formats. With 8x10 rolling stands, they have a mechanism to keep the back from moving once in position. I expect this might help keep the camera steady when inserting a film holder. In any case, just give it a try. Focus on a non-moving subject. Insert a holder. Take the holder out. Check focus. If it's still ok, then you're probably fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If your C Stand has a 5/8" top post this is cheap purpose made to mount a head to 3/8 male screw.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_adapter.html

B&H has lots more adaptors, this was the first one I found that has a chance of holding a lightweight 8X10.

I think the idea to use a rolling C stand for 8X10 camera stand is a not the best plan.
    Tin Can

I agree with Randy. The base isn’t wide enough.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I use an old Mole Richardson heavy duty wide base roller stand with a Saltzman head as a tall studio stand, which works great for high to eye level shots, but one problem... The stand needs about 10 seconds to steady, as it slightly "rings" from handling... I figure I will have to add at least 1 brace from the top to one of the extended leg ends for redistribution of settling vibrations (think how a flagpole rings in the wind)...

Mine has snug sliding fittings, and with a little loosening it smoothly slides down, but with a typical c stand, these have a lot of slop, so you have to be very careful nothing slips...

Then most stands have a little flex and can twist a little which might cause regstration and settling problems...

And as mentioned, the base is usually not wide enough to support the camera safely (even with sandbags)...

I'm talking about the standard Mathews type stands, but there are other older sturdy stands that have been made that could work, but you will find it more trouble than its worth, even with a tiny point and shoot camera...

Steve K

Get a proper tripod. Right tool for the job and will save you a lot of frustration.

Well, the best tool for the job is a suitable studio stand: a Foba, Saltzman, Cambo, Deardorff....

Well, the best tool for the job is a suitable studio stand: a Foba, Saltzman, Cambo, Deardorff, Kodak....

Thanks for the comments. My C-stand's roller base is much wider than the base of a typical C-stand, so I'm not worried about the stability. I have several tripods including an old Manfrotto Triault. Don't have the wheels for it though. Indeed, a studio stand would be perfect but it's just not in the cards. I'll give it a go and see what comes up...

Sandbags!

Good luck!
    Tin Can