Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I upgrade my 150mm Symmar-S?

Should I upgrade my 150mm Symmar-S?

Hello guys, I have a Schneider Symmar S 150mm and wanted to upgrade a little bit.
    The thing is that I have a 450e budget, and I don’t know if I can do better with that money, or if the Symmar S is good enough and I should focus in other thing.

What do you guys think?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Re: An Upgrade question

The Symmar-S is a fine lens. It is unlikely an APO lens will improve your photography. I'd buy film instead.

To improve, shoot more or shoot different. More is more, different means shoot a different subject or with different lighting, compared with what you have done in the past. Try a wide lens and learn to shoot wide.

I think the only reason for an upgrade is if you need a larger image circle. Do have other lenses in various focal lengths?

I've used older Symmar-S lenses for nearly 40 years and I'd be very surprised if you would notice, in a print, any difference between these lenses and the newest APO Symmar's. As others have already said, buy film and shoot more.

I own a S 135...

A Symmar-S can be crazy sharp, APO Symmar-L 150 offers a some 20mm larger circle, but for 4x5 the Symmar-S circle should be way enough for most things.

Nobody knows if you will get a sharper lens if you upgrade your S because there is some remarkable variability from one unit to another one of the same model. Personally I would only think in upgrading an S if wanting a larger circle or if my unit had flaws.

If you tell what kind of photography you are doing and what other glass you own then it would be easier for you to get good suggestions.

multiplex

sure buy the lens if you have the money and can sell the other lens and it will make you want to shoot more !
    whats money anyways .. can't take it with you ...
    no point in doing stuff if you aren't having a good time.

good luck !
    john

If you were to switch to an Apo Sironar S you will get a larger circle, less fall off, reduced distortion and greater resolution. But you would have to decide for your self,if you could see that difference with what and how you shoot and print!

Re: Should I upgrade my 150mm Symmar-S?

Upgrade to ?

What specifically is lacking in the Symmar-S that needs improvement for your image making needs?

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Re: Should I upgrade my 150mm Symmar-S?

If you are making very large color prints there might be a slight advantage to newer plasmat designs from all of the "big four" manufacturers in terms of contrast, apo correction, extreme detail, and nitpicky quality control. On the other hand, these newer lenses can be a bit over the top for certain applications. The Symmar S series had a bit more gentle rendering to it, which was not "soft" by any means, but somewhat less "clinically" hard-edged. For black and white work the difference is hard to detect. If your lens is still in good shape, why bother?