Thread: In search of frames

In search of frames

Having met with disappointment in several web searches, here I am. I recently needed a frame for a portrait and had to settle for one that is just okay. It's temping to consider making my own, but that's not in the picture at present. What am I really looking for? With my heart in Classical arts, I don't really like the minimalist Neilsen/metal frame direction. I like dark wood, rather thin width-- say, an inch or so -- with interesting modeling but not fancy scrolls and curly-cues. The color tends to be the stubborn problem. I have had success with colors that are sort of dark cordovan, along the lines of Zone II-III selenium toning of a neutral or warm paper. Black just doesn't work well for me, and the various browns I have found are more milk-chocolatey, even when the go somewhat darker.

My photos are mostly portraits, frame sizes from 8x10 to roughly 16x 20. for prints up 5x7ish up to 11x14.

Ideas, anyone?
    Last edited by Ulophot; 6-Oct-2018 at 17:09. Reason: addition
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: In search of frames

Thanks, Bob, but I am no longer photographing professionally, and one apparently needs a business to be an LJ customer.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Thanks, Bob, but I am no longer photographing professionally, and one apparently needs a business to be an LJ customer.
    But they can always direct you to the closest shop selling them.

Yes; I probably should investigate before making my mind up. Around here, as you may recall from whenever you lived worked in the area, prices ain't cheap. I am hoping to find something closer to wholesale. Onwards. (P.S. I haven;t been by Moe's yet, but will convey your greeting when I see him.)
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

I had good luck with a couple of orders from Art To Frame, an online vendor based in Brooklyn. The frames are fairly simple, but construction quality was very good and pricing was suitable for images I was gifting to family members.

https://www.arttoframe.com/

Good question to ask. Not sure if the these sources are national, but I shop at the following . . .

o Michaels: Don't buy, unless on a 40% or 50% sale. Otherwise, have a wide selection.

o Craft Warehouse: Nice source of reasonably priced frames. They have a 22x28 that I like for 16x20 images.

o Ikea: I get frames here; but, aspect rations for their frames tend to be a bit long for me.

o Blicks: A local source for silver or black frames sides that come in pairs. (Two pairs make a put-together frame.)

o Jerry's Artorama (www.jerrysartorama.com): Just checked this store, which I've used on occasion. Reasonably priced metal frames.

Peronally, the black frames work well for me. You might be able to find your color at a custom shop . . . expensive, though.

I typically use Riser Museum white for mounting and as overmats.

Good question to ask. Not sure if the these sources are national, but I shop at the following . . .

o Michaels: Don't buy, unless on a 40% or 50% sale. Otherwise, have a wide selection.

o Craft Warehouse: Nice source of reasonably priced frames. They have a 22x28 that I like for 16x20 images.

o Ikea: I get frames here; but, aspect rations for their frames tend to be a bit long for me.

o Blicks: A local source for silver or black frames sides that come in pairs. (Two pairs make a put-together frame.)

o Jerry's Artorama (www.jerrysartorama.com): Just checked this website store, which I've used on occasion. Reasonably priced metal frames.

Peronally, the black frames work well for me. You might be able to find your color at a custom shop . . . expensive, though.

I typically use Riser Museum white for mounting and as overmats.