Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

Since the mid 1970s, have been a practicing advocate of ultra light weight backpacking, mostly here in New England with its rare stretches of level ground, for the most part up and down hills and "mountains". Mt. Katadin in Maine is 5,267 feet high and in the past was only able to top it in between passing thunderstorms because of only carrying an ultra-lite daypack. For years carried only a Olympus XA-4 (35mm) and an Agfa Isolette (120). When I wanted to combine my love for backpacking with my love for LF photography, ran into a big problem... I really did not want to use a minimalistic light weight 4x5 system. Beside that, my favorite formats were whole plate and 8x10, and neither of these formats came anywhere near being close to a lightweight 3 lens 4x5 system.

Had to change my modus-operandi... no more multi-day backpacking adventures. Day hikes to photo destinations became the norm. A f/64 backpack worked out great in holding all my equipment, and a few more essentials. Typically carry the WP or the 8x10 Chamonix camera, 3 lenses, and everything else in the f/64 backpack. Tripod over the shoulder with a walking stick in the other hand. Tried attaching the tripod to the f/64 but just couldn't get it right.

Was wondering how others have dealt with using LF equipment off the beaten path. Pretty much have given up on using ULF equipment (11x14 in my case) any further that a short walk from my car... towing a wheeled cart on most of the rocky trails in New England is not just a doable/viable option.

Comments really welcome on this subject... Would love to know how others have dealt with hauling LF and ULF equipment way, way past the trailhead. Have yet to find a backpack suitable to haul my 11x14 Chamonix with 3 lenses, 2+ film holders, and more. Weight of the 11x14 outfit I'm sure I could handle, but again have yet to find a backpack capable of carrying the 11x14.

thanks

Foamer

Re: Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

I've gone the easy route and just use a Chamonix 045n and carbon fiber tripod (Feisol 3441). As for packs, I prefer technical packs designed for hikers such as Osprey and Deuter.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I backpack with 4x5 and occasionally 5x7. The only time I have been in the backcountry with the 8x10 was when it was hauled on a mule, the 8x10 is 60 pounds of stuff -- I can hike all day with it (slowly with lots of stops!) but no other equipment.

For my 11x14 Chamonix I have been looking at canoe portage packs. This one looks like it would hold camera and holders.
    https://www.rei.com/product/867832/g...age-canoe-pack.

I spent 5 months on a bicycle with a 4x5 (New Zealand). With a cargo bike and electric pedal assist, I could do 8x10. Just a matter of range and recharging.

Backpacking with the 4x5 or 5x7 -- only short distances in these days, base camp and photograph. Usually 6 holders...to keep it light, I do not reload film...fine for 3 or 4-night trips. I bring a shoulder bag that can hold the holders, light meter and odds and ends --- the camera on the pod and over my shoulder. The camera has the darkcloth over it and a waterproof stuff sack over that. Sometimes hiking in I'll have the camera/pod over my shoulder, then on the way out there is room in the pack for it.

4x5 - Gowland PocketView. Two and a half pounds with the lens (Caltar IIN 105/5.6)
    5x7 - Eastman View No.2. Eight and 3/4 pounds with 210/6.3 lens

I'll be doing more with the 4x5 in the future -- just bought 200 sheets of Kodak Copy film to continue a project along Redwood Creek.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

+1 Kent. I have the same camera and a very light--almost too light--carbon fiber tripod. Still the whole kit is about 19lb--4 lenses. In the car, it's in a second-hand Pelican-look-alike case, with the film holders in a Coleman 6-pack cooler. On the trail, it's a Granite Gear panel opening pack, rebadged by Photobackpacker. On the trail, the holders go into the pack, the cooler stays home.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Most of my photography is based in what you call the backcountry in the US (we just call it the bush). Imho the harnesses found on hiking packs are definitely superior to "photo backpacks" when it comes to carrying all the gear. I've carried packs of many different brands over the years but my packs of choice are made by One Planet here in Oz. My 8x10 easily fits into their 70l Ned pack, I think it could probably manage an 11x14. Longer trips with overnight gear require a 90l McMillan. We also have lots of pack-eating vegetation which can quickly tear flimsy materials or a surplus of straps and add-ons to shreds.

Cameras and lenses go into Gnass gear or Photobackpacker cases (pity neither are in production). 8x10 only comes on shorter basecamp trips, 4x5s on longer trips.
    Last edited by Mark Darragh; 4-Oct-2018 at 00:19.

My favorite backpack has a little "cup" attachment for one of the tripod feet, and then adjustable, solid straps to snug in the tripod. It works perfectly. If you can figure out the tripod mounting, it'll probably be fine. On my other backpacks, it doesn't attach that well and it can be a drag. Carrying it is just no good for long distances.

Smaller lenses, or less of them (how many do you really need?), less film holders, lighten up as much as you can. Everyone is different but I remember reading a thread here months ago that was something about "what do you bring" and I was kind of surprised at all the (IMO) superfluous stuff people bring. Notebooks, screwdrivers/tools for field repairs, and all this other stuff, to me, is not really needed unless you are on a mission-critical, once-in-a-lifetime shoot. A couple months ago my ballhead broke while out shooting with a friend. So...I stopped shooting. Packed it in and let it go. Tomorrow is another day. Anyway, point is, lighten up if you can. I'm guilty of bringing more lenses/cameras than I need so have been getting better about that.

Other than that, just finding the backpack system that works for you is the ticket.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My 4x5 Arca-Swiss with 4 lenses and darkcloth all go into an F-Stop ICU which then goes into a Kelty P2 backpack from photobackpacker. My 8x10 with 3-4 lenses are all in PB cases which all go into that same P2 pack. Now that I'm in my mid-60's, I can't pack the Deardorff nearly as far as I used to so, now I have an 8x10 Intrepid with 2 small Fuji A series lenses. Film holders are carried in PB cascading cases. Tripods are all carbon fiber.

I use a road/dirt bike to go on shooting trips around the backroads in QLD. To minimize my load I bought a Sony photo backpack, it really limits what you can throw in. I am one of those types that throws things in a bigger (bergen) packpack, just in case I need it, now I have limited myself to what the little backpack will hold. 4x5 with half a dozen film holders and four lenses, plus the usual accessories.
    My CF Sirui tripod has its own bag that is strapped around the backpack. The 8x10 and 10x12 only go in the van with the heavy duty manfrotto tripod, old age and bad lungs are prohibitive. Changing to a ballhead has saved a bit of weight, and folds up with the tripod.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photographer-pack-mule-William-Henry-Jackson-400x275.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	182984
    https://www.nwf.org/Magazines/Nation...raphy-Timeline

William Henry Jackson

hmmm, ULF shooters of the XIX were very lucky

If you've managed to successfully attach a tripod to a f.64 bpx pack, can you tell/show how you've done it? I haven't actually started yet--still waiting on the Intrepid 8X10--other than practice loading accoutrements and such. If I could get the tripod foot of one of my LowePros secured securely, I THINK that'd be a start. At this point, I'm thinking I'll have to hump the Gitzo over a shoulder. I'm presently using a Zone VI shoulder bag for my Chamonix 45 and 3 or 4 lenses and other stuff, tripod over the shoulder.