Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

Re: Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

Some of us are (were) more the mule-type. Load us up and we'll plod along. Like mules, once the pack lightens and we're heading home, we'll speed up some.

I only used the large Cassin pack for my own backpack trips. Doing trail work in the wilderness, my crew and I hand-lead mules with all our gear, food and some tools for 10-day tours. Sweet.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Depends what you mean by mountains. Most body builder types don't get very far. I know someone whose Sherpa companion passed out on the summit of Everest, and he carried him all the way back down on his back, without
    supplementary oxygen, and he's just a little slender guy himself.
    None of these guys are large, just wiry and strong as an ox. Elk hunters in Wyoming, Nevada etc and sheep in the mountains. It's that kind of strong you are when you don't look strong that comes from hard labor. Unfortunately I don't look like that, I'm a bit softer : ( I suppose I could use my camera and pack to get into better shape in the two feet of snow we have on the ground. Found out hard yesterday with my small pack and 4x5 I now need bigger snowshoes. Carrying a view camera is new to me but it's lighter than all the SLR crap I usually lug, just packing is much different.

Drew Wiley

A couple of the toughest high-altitude mountaineers that ever lived were a bit pot-bellied. Others like Eric Shipton were tall n thin with a very long stride. Some I've personally known were built like monkeys - short little guys with long arms. Most were ordinary build. My sidekicks were all the above. And every one em could carry a hundred pound pack for days on end. Snowshoeing, like horseback riding, uses a set of thigh muscles that are normally dormant. I haven't done either for quite awhile. Carrying a heavy pack is something I try to do every week. The older you get, the more important it is to keep in shape regularly. But my goal is to get down to a 60 lb pack in my 70's. That's kinda hard to do with two weeks of supplies plus a view camera; but my younger protege is now comfortable with a hundred, but that's for a month out. He uses a tiny digital camera. So if he drops that down to 70 for a two-weeker, he can carry my bag of freeze-dried food too. Or maybe I'll have to start fishing again; but the best time of day for trout tends to also be the best time for certain kinds of lighting, so I haven't been fishing for awhile either. ... Vaughn, mules are smarter than me; so I keep being my own pack mule.

I sure miss my mule!
    I kept my pack saddle, bags, lash cinch and stock trailer, but alas, no mule and no truck to pull that stock trailer up the hill!
    Someday though....
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Well, John, I already told about our first donkey, Annabelle. It belonged to Wilbur P. and was named after sister, Ann. It was part of his rodeo clown stunt. He'd pull that little donkey out of his baggy clown pants. Maybe you remember that act. It was famous on the rodeo circuit back then. Then when it got too big, he gave it to us. A pet, no good for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    A couple of the toughest high-altitude mountaineers that ever lived were a bit pot-bellied. Others like Eric Shipton were tall n thin with a very long stride. Some I've personally known were built like monkeys - short little guys with long arms. Most were ordinary build. My sidekicks were all the above. And every one em could carry a hundred pound pack for days on end. Snowshoeing, like horseback riding, uses a set of thigh muscles that are normally dormant. I haven't done either for quite awhile. Carrying a heavy pack is something I try to do every week. The older you get, the more important it is to keep in shape regularly. But my goal is to get down to a 60 lb pack in my 70's. That's kinda hard to do with two weeks of supplies plus a view camera; but my younger protege is now comfortable with a hundred, but that's for a month out. He uses a tiny digital camera. So if he drops that down to 70 for a two-weeker, he can carry my bag of freeze-dried food too. Or maybe I'll have to start fishing again; but the best time of day for trout tends to also be the best time for certain kinds of lighting, so I haven't been fishing for awhile either. ... Vaughn, mules are smarter than me; so I keep being my own pack mule.
    I am always torn when the light is fading and I'm on the Firehole, Madison, Gibbon, Beaverkill, Miramichi, Delaware, or the clouds are perfect and the turquoise like jewels while bonefishing in the Bahamas....is it right to have the rod or the camera in hand? It is always too much choice with light that seems to last only minutes.