Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x12" format popularity and film availability.

Re: 5x12" format popularity and film availability.

Admittedly I don't think I looked at 5x12 format ... mostly because besides the yearly Ilford run and Xray I don't think much else is available unless you cut down from a large size. If you like a pano format I would recommend 7x17 or 4x10 (or better yet go with MF in 6x12 on a 4x5). Much more availability in cameras and film. Anyway, here was my take a few years ago on film availability by format, scroll down to the first chart:

https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...format-for-you

5x12 is a nice format. I even made a banquet camera and film holders since they were hard to find second-hand. Ilford's special orders are a wonderful resource, but I got tired of having to guess how much film I'd shoot in a year. Eventually I made a reducing back for the camera and was surprised how much I preferred the 4x10 format. Everything was considerably easier without much sacrifice in image size. It was a simple matter to set up a dedicated paper trimmer for cutting down 8x10 film.

Enlarging, developing, scanning, even incidental supplies- all of these things can get pretty complicated when the long dimension goes over 10".

Thanks all for the feedback. I love the 5x12 format, and think it makes a nice size for contact printing. The one advantage however of 4x10" is that I could scan it in my Imacon scanner, which is handy especially for colour work. I just like the idea of extra realestate of 5x12", and drum scanning (it must be said at great expense though) if needed. Much to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback. I love the 5x12 format, and think it makes a nice size for contact printing. The one advantage however of 4x10" is that I could scan it in my Imacon scanner, which is handy especially for colour work. I just like the idea of extra realestate of 5x12", and drum scanning (it must be said at great expense though) if needed. Much to think about.
    The I say go 4x10 if you want to scan or 7x17 if you want real estate and contact printing. The banquet cameras are priced well.

My 5 X 12 is an Al Vista panoramic camera that used 5" roll film at one time, but will shoot 5X12 sheets one at a time... Paper negs worked well in it too... It contact prints to a reasonably large size that looks nice framed...

I used to cut down 11×14 for it, but see the panoramic dental x-ray film is a much better price... And I think the ortho film matches the look my camera produces...

Another hot tip for it is there are 5X12 x-ray developing hangers are to be had for not much money, because I found a bunch very cheap, and it does not seem hard to find something to use for tanks...

So it might not be a bad decision for a format choice...

Steve K

Ray Van Nes

The Jobo 3005 drum also works. Yes the film sticks out but does not seem to pose a problem. I found you need to presoak X-ray film at least 5 minutes to ensure solution gets on both sides. I found otherwise a line would appear right at the point it emerges from the drum. You can also leave the film in the drum for washing which eliminates extra handling and the chance of scratches.

I have a Korona 5x12 which I obtained to replace the 7x17 Korona which became too unwieldy for me when I was 85. I also have a 4x10 which I built years ago. I don't like the 4x10 format as I contact print everything and never scan a negative to enlarge it. This format is not pleasant to me. I order FP4+ each year from Ilford and also use 200-300 sheets of Ektascan T-Mat G/RA Dental x-ray film.
    I prefer the scale of X-ray film because it is so close the Orthochromatic films which were so popular when I began LF photography in the late 1930's.

Taken Thursday and developed tonight. This is the Volunteer Fire Department in Manhattan NV.

lens is Kollmorgan Sterling Improved Wide Angle 8X10
    film is Aerographic Plus X PyroCat HD

First time the 512 has been out in years.

Nice!
    I know nothing about X-ray film, so should read up about it and see if it would suit me.