Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What a whopper!

Re: What a whopper!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Peter, if you're trying to compile information that will help prospective users determine whether a given lens will fit on their cameras, maximum diameter of the rear cell, for those lenses that have one, is also a critical specification . . .
    Another consideration is whether a camera, even an 8x10, has the stamina to hold the lens.

My largest lens is a 610mm Repro Claron mounted in an Ilex #5 shutter. It stands 5" high, and the shutter is 5" in diameter. It weighs 3.14 lbs, which by comparison to some lenses, isn't that heavy. While I wouldn't call it compact, it has a filter size of only 82mm. Another advantage size-wise is that this lens weighs about as much on the front as the rear. So, it's balanced.

My Sinar Norma front standard can hold this lens just fine. Not so sure about a Sinar F, though?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 600mmReproC.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 13-Oct-2018 at 09:31.

DSC01430 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is my most current "whopper". The Bausch and Lomb 132.9mm F2 Super Cinephor. This lens was made to project theatrical 35mm and 70mm movies in commercial movie houses. I am in the process of mounting it to my Makiflex Standard by Plaubel. Weighs a TON!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Imagon H5.8 42cm in Zettor shutter
    Too big for my Tachihara 4x5 but fits the 8x10 .... just.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    Well, OK. My 24" f/6 10lb Aero-Tessar is at least big:
    Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Here is my longest (but prob not my heaviest). Hermagis Aplanatic 47". With Leica II for scale. You'd need about a 10" board.
    That's a great shot... but without a weight I can't add it to the spreadsheet...

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    My Leitz EPIS 1,000mm F3.5 barrel lens weighs 42lbs. Glass diameter is roughly 12" ... would need to pull it out to measure it. Yes, I plan taking images with this one or other day and sooner than later.
    I had to google that, what an impressive piece of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    I also have a PerkinElmer 36" F4, about same glass size but 200lbs without the shutter, just a ton of glass and metal and not that useable. Conversation piece ;-)
    That is just bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    My largest lens is a 610mm Repro Claron mounted in an Ilex #5 shutter.
    Thanks - added.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Here is my most current "whopper". The Bausch and Lomb 132.9mm F2 Super Cinephor. This lens was made to project theatrical 35mm and 70mm movies in commercial movie houses. I am in the process of mounting it to my Makiflex Standard by Plaubel. Weighs a TON!
    Blimey, I had no idea of the size until I googled the camera... that is one big camera. If you get a chance could you weigh the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Puts my barrel 300mm Imagon to shame... There's not a lot of glass in them but I guess that shutter will add a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

I also have the 420 Imagon, it came only in barrel. I use mine with my Sinar Norma shutters. Someone has screwed it to the front of that Zettor. That's quite interesting, I've never seen one of those before. Does it have actual speeds, or open and close, and time? It certainly is a whopper of a shutter.

― Mark Twain

[QUOTE=peter brooks;1463838]Blimey, I had no idea of the size until I googled the camera... that is one big camera. If you get a chance could you weigh the lens?

The 132.9 F2 B&L Super Cinephor weighs 520 grams.

DSC06092 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Two 150mm lenses for size comparison, the 150mm Xenar, and the 150mm Symmar.

― Mark Twain

R. Knoll f5.5/360 Doppel-Rigonar. Not nearly as big as some but my largest lens. I recently finished machining the mounting flange and have it mounted to a 6x6 board.R. Knoll Leipzig 5.5-360 Doppel-Rigonar by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R. Knoll Leipzig 5.5-360 Doppel-Rigonar-2.jpg  
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I also have the 420 Imagon, it came only in barrel. I use mine with my Sinar Norma shutters. Someone has screwed it to the front of that Zettor. That's quite interesting, I've never seen one of those before. Does it have actual speeds, or open and close, and time? It certainly is a whopper of a shutter.
    The Zettor shutter has been rebuilt by Zacks Camera Repair and works very smoothly. It has 4 settings:O = Open, Z = like the classic B mode, M = "instant" = about 1/8 second depending on how the cable release plunger is pushed, C = closed. The Zettor has huge blades and needs a strong long-throw cable release with at least 25mm of travel. The first 24mm tensions a big driving spring and the release happens in the last 1mm.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Zebra

My daughter now off to college with the Dallmeyer 8D that I use for my 20 x 24 wetplate work

Monty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73698AAC-607A-4F10-8A60-BDB28854D429.jpeg  
    Last edited by Monty McCutchen; 19-Oct-2018 at 17:18.

I always loved this picture!