Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Couple of comments on this topic.

It is my understanding that Intrepid camera is going to metal GG support on the camera back on their next 8x10 production run fairly soon. They claim that the bungie cord works, but they are being responsive to a propensity of camera users that are asking for the inclusion of the spring. I am good with that move. There are unsubstantiated rumors that Intrepid could be going to a dual front standard clamp system - one for rise/fall and one for tilt. I think that could be wishful thinking. The fact is that the camera company is thin in the personal department and as a result informational and/or promotional details are thin if at all. They have their heart in the right place so I do not place fault on them in this regard.

I question the sanity of any photographer that would attempt to use a lens on this camera equal to or greater than the weight of the camera and attempt to call this a problem. Come on man, the attributes of the camera is light weight and light weight is not structurally capable of handling such photographic objectives. If that is your gig, unfortunately this camera is not going to deliver the goods. And you do not have to be educated as an engineer to arrive at this conclusion.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing them by any means, nor do I expect unreasonable things from this camera. I completely understand the choices they made in order to get the product at the price point they wanted. I think it is great that they are doing and I believe they will open up the world of LF to make who have not considered it a viable option previously. I was only asking for peoples experiences because although I am familiar with likely limitations that I know have the potential to be present (lens selection, finish quality, durability) I have not used it myself and therefore was hoping to get experiences from other people.

Andrej Gregov

Ben Horne recently posted a review of the 810. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8PczK2Lpwk

A friend has the Intrpeid 810 and jury is still out for him. Watching him use it, the camera appears to work fine but it is more “fiddley” than a typical 810. Horne's video points that out. What I like about the Intrepids in general is a low price point to try out large format photography. If someone falls in love with the format, then it's easier to justify the cost to upgrade. The weight advantage is also huge with Intrepid. So, you could keep the Intrepid for field use and move to a different setup for the studio—again if you really bond with the format. For lenses, I do think it's good advice to avoid copal 3 lenses.

I was part of the Intrepid 8x10 Kickstarter campaign and, as such, only received my camera this past April. That said, I feel I've used it enough to make some general comments:

1. Regarding the plywood construction, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good quality Birch plywood is very stable. I have a large worktable in my studio that I built out of Birch plywood and pine that is nearly 40 years old and it's in the same condition today as when I finished it. True, this table doesn't go outside, but I've lived in pretty high humidity areas here and moved it across country. Since I don't plan to take my Intrepid 8x10 out in the rain, I'm figuring it should hold up about the same.

2. Setting up the camera is a bit fiddly because the rear standard, at least on my camera, doesn't align exactly perpendicular to the base when it's set into the half-moon slots on the struts. I use a plastic 90 degree triangle to ensure it's set right. The front standard has no detent so you simply eyeball it.

3. Movements are not particularly smooth, but work fine. You get used to it.

4. Use of heavy lenses, IMO, is out of the question. In general, I wouldn't use anything larger than what fits into a Copal 1 shutter.

I mention these things not as criticism of the camera, but more as general things for your consideration. Consider the price point; this ain't an Ebony and costs a fraction of those cameras. One huge advantage for this old timer is my ability to carry my 8x10 outfit further into the wilds and not be limited to working from the car.

Hope something I've said here helps.

I may have said this before but they need to redesign the back so that the camera can be closed in landscape orientation. As it is, the back must be rotated to portrait in order for the back opening 'ears' to clear the strut. I just sawed off the top ear to solve this annoyance. Also, and I hope this is not the case with others, my bellows seem to be delaminating, just from storage at home. I see crinkles and lifting of the outer bellows fabric, if that makes any sense. Not an issue yet but will be keeping my eye on it.

The camera is a great price and I bought it for the weight since I really don't relish schlepping my Zone VI and Ries tripods through the bush. Maybe I need to lift more weights haha
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

It's okay. It needs the same kind of upgrade as their 4x5 which is now in the 3rd generation. I have both. and the 4x5 is great. The 8x10 still needs work but it is serviceable, and the cheapest ballgame in town.

Here's my first shot with my 8x10 Intrepid (after 3 failures which was my fault, not the camera's.) 300mm Fujinon L f5.6 lens, a fairly heavy beast which did not tax the camera at all I'm pleased to say), 1/30th at f22, Fp4 in Pyrocat. Serviceable and the price is right.

I realize I might be alone in saying that the Fuji lens is fine, but so far no problems. I may one day buy a Nikon F9 but not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Lucas View Post
    It's okay. It needs the same kind of upgrade as their 4x5 which is now in the 3rd generation. I have both. and the 4x5 is great. The 8x10 still needs work but it is serviceable, and the cheapest ballgame in town.

Here's my first shot with my 8x10 Intrepid (after 3 failures which was my fault, not the camera's.) 300mm Fujinon L f5.6 lens, a fairly heavy beast which did not tax the camera at all I'm pleased to say), 1/30th at f22, Fp4 in Pyrocat. Serviceable and the price is right.

I realize I might be alone in saying that the Fuji lens is fine, but so far no problems. I may one day buy a Nikon F9 but not today.

Nice, but I can’t find a sharp spot, it is also too flat for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Nice, but I can’t find a sharp spot, it is also too flat for me.
    I'd say I agree . . . first shot though. Much better negative than digitizations as well. I'll post some more 8x10s when I shoot them. I'm a professional violinist and conduct a big amateur orchestra so this is my busy season. (excuses, excuses, eh?? )

(PS I'd also say that the jury is out on my involvement in 8x10. It seems to me, at this point, it is a format that demands a huge amount of commitment, and I'm not sure I have the time or money to make it my major "focus." I don't think it's a format that allows concubines. )

If I ever get mine, I will offer an opinion of it. For now, all I can tell you is that I ordered mine May 15th and they told me 8 weeks to ship. I'm still waiting, and they keep telling me "soon".

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    If I ever get mine, I will offer an opinion of it. For now, all I can tell you is that I ordered mine May 15th and they told me 8 weeks to ship. I'm still waiting, and they keep telling me "soon".
    Why not tell them if you don’t have it in 10 days you will cancel and demand full credit. Soon isn’t an acceptable response at this time!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Well, rats!! I ordered August 8 so I guess I should probably try to think about something else.