Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

On the 8x10 (Kickstarter version), the bellows start to intrude on the edge of the frame with focal lengths below around 210mm if you are using a lot of rise/shift for 4x10 (or 5x8/5x7 ) in camera masking. There is enough shift/rise to center the lens on a masked format, but bellows stiffness and intrusion into the image area with shorter focal lengths (for the format) is the practical limitation. To be fair, the camera was not really designed for this.\

They had the new 8x10 for sale at the NEC photo show, so I bought one. I have made two lens panels and it is now ready to use. It looks really good and feels nice, definitely a great improvement. I will let you know how I get on with it.

I just ordered one. Now the waiting begins!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Ordered mine at the beginning of february. Still waiting, no message since they told me that I will get the MKII (mid february).
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    You are just going to have to be patient because that attribute is integral for the process with Intrepid.

I ordered an 8x10 camera from Intrepid on October 24, 2018 and hope the email I got about an end of April 2019 delivery is factually accurate. The good news is they are selling a lot of cameras. The bad news is the staff can only kick out so many cameras per day / week. I was thinking of sending them a case or two of Red Bull to help them with product output (just kidding).

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    ..... October 24, 2018 and hope the email I got about an end of April 2019 delivery is factually accurate. (just kidding).
    They probably misplaced your order. They delivered the ones ordered in November and December/2018 in March/19. I wish I had waited a bit until April to have a flawless camera. Instead, I got one I am not 100 percent happy. Of course, comparing it to the Chamonix is not fair.

However, I now have an 8x10 Century and a 8x10 Kodak 2D Eastman that are so unbelievable accurate and perfect that I may end up donating the Intrepid. The good thing about it is the light weight. However, the Century weights just one and a half more pound only than the Intrepid.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 2-Apr-2019 at 15:08.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    They probably misplaced your order. They delivered the ones ordered in November and December/2018 in March/19. I wish I had waited a bit until April to have a flawless camera. Instead, I got one I am not 100 percent happy. Of course, comparing it to the Chamonix is not fair.

However, I now have an 8x10 Century and a 8x10 Kodak 2D Eastman that are so unbelievable accurate and perfect that I may end up donating the Intrepid. The good thing about it is the light weight. However, the Century weights just one and a half more than the Intrepid.
    Whatever they did or did not do with my order is out of my hands. As long as I get the camera with the most recent model upgrades I will be good to go. It will be here when it gets here. Like you I have a Toyo 810M, a Canham 8x10 woodie, a like new black Calumet C1 as well as a Linhof triplex Color Karden 8x10. The Intrepid will be the hiking/packing camera.

I wish I had waited a bit until April to have a flawless camera. Instead, I got one I am not 100 percent happy.
    … I may end up donating the Intrepid.
    What is wrong?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Several detail on manufacture/assembly. A bit of better care and less speed to put together the pieces. Too many to mentioned. The last one is the bellows glued skewed , so the from standard does not stay level unless it is tied up with the knobs. I can use it, but unlike my Chamonix, which almost sets up by itself. The springs of the back, one was screwed up side down. I removed and put it back. However, every time I try to open to insert the holder, the spring goes off the back. The problem is one spring was drilled and screwed properly. The other one was a bit off. I have now to remove the springs and drill two holes in the metal, and two holes in the wood. I cannot use the existing two holes, they are way off. Couple of the plastic "stops" that control the tilt of the front standard came off unglued. They told me to glue it back, but it can't be done easily without disassembly the front standard. I cannot do that because the bellows is nailed to it or glued it. So, I had to cut the two pieces so the could fit and glue them. The crazy glue dries fast, so it was not a pretty job, so they protrude when the should not. The gaffer tape is abundant behind the front standard. They glued the bellows and to make sure and blacken the rear of the front standard, they covered it with gaffer tape. The camera feels solid, and the metal bottom provides some stability. The camera can hold a heavy lens without instilling fear. I have used it and the pictures came fine. It is just a bunch of details that I hope they take care for the future cameras. I hope the enlarger I paid for already comes out useful.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 3-Apr-2019 at 04:56.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Let's hope Intrepid is still reading this thread and are able to address the issues before the next batches are shipped out