Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Tim Sandstrom

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

I've had one now for a year, and use it as much as any camera I have. It is great for hiking, and gives one a nice entrance into 8x10.
    It's limitations are acceptable to me. It will never hold a 6 pound lens on the front, or a do well with really long lens [I shoot 210mm/300mm].
    It's affected by wind. Getting everything square takes some fiddling. Rotating the back is a little slow. It's wood, you have to treat it gingerly.
    You can't crank all the knobs down like the dickens to make it 'sturdier', you let it settle.

It weighs about 3 lbs. For it's price point and target usage, it hits it pretty well, imho.

-Tim

some pics I've taken with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stormi...tags/intrepid/

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

If I were to buy a camera based on your photos, I would buy the Intrepid 8x10 immediately. I think it is more like 5.7 pounds of weight.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    All details and more images of the MK2 up on the site now: https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...id-8x10-camera
    Pleased to receive my Intrepid 8x10 camera in the mail today. Unfortunately it arrived with the ground glass in about 50 pieces not just cracked. Just sent Naomi an email about getting a replacement for the ground glass. Suggestion for shipping these cameras. Get a slightly larger box if possible on the height proportion. It is fine to wrap the camera in bubble wrap but add a piece of masonite (rigid fiber board which is cheap) to the top and bottom of the box on top / or outside of the bubble wrap and this should provide the necessary rigidity to prevent the ground glass from taking one for the team. Essentially this would protect the contents (ie the ground glass) from the edge of another box contacting it and pushing through the bubble wrap.

The camera looks great. The screw focus seems solid, the hinges for taking the back off and going in an alternative orientation is fabulous. All in all I can't wait to get it into the field. Thanks Max and your team for bringing this camera into the market.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 22-May-2019 at 13:01. Reason: typo

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences - MKII film holder insertion/removal

If you have the metal spring back, consider yourself lucky. I have Gen 1 with the bungees and it's a pita to insert holders. The bungee allows movement in several axis and has led to one misinsert and a wasted sheet. I should have checked but still...

It's a light packing camera (which is great) but it won't be seeing major duty.

afaik, any LF FB groups are NOT connected to this forum. just an fyi, even though there's lots of member overlap
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I received the back reduction from 8x10 to 4x5. It is very well made, and works as a silk glove in my hands. Wonderful job by Intrepid right there. It comes with the metal springs.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I received the back reduction from 8x10 to 4x5. It is very well made, and works as a silk glove in my hands. Wonderful job by Intrepid right there. It comes with the metal springs.
    Yes - I got the same reducing back, and sort of wish the 8x10 used the same mechanism. I wonder how much more weight and cost it would add to the MKII.

Quote Originally Posted by RisaH View Post
    Hi - first-time poster, duplicating a post I just made to the FB group to get some traction...If there is a separate thread for MKII 8x10 I did not see it (please link if so, thanks)...

I'm thrilled my 2nd gen. 8x10 arrived yesterday. I'm having some challenges seating and unseating the film holder. It catches on the way in and needs some serious jiggling to insert, and also needs some serious jiggling to remove - no doubt this unsettles the camera position (esp. if the tripod connection is not rock solid). The top spring arm pops off the back if too aggressive (though re-seats without much fuss).

Does anyone have tips or tricks for smoother film holder insertion/removal?

Also, though Ben's video of the first MKII showed the rear standard magnets on the inside, mine are on the outside and I wonder if this was a wholesale production change.

Thanks.
    same here, almost impossible to keep the back in position when inserting/removing the film holders.
    tried with different vintage film holders.
    the older ones are plain unusable with this camera: if you succed to open the back and remove the holder, the spring assembly pops off.
    the newer plastic ones do however pose more than an issue with the unwanted movement you end imparting to the back.
    I wonder how this passed any testing before coming to market.
    Max/Intrepid please chime in. I also sent you an email with a clip of the camera in action.

"The top spring arm pops off the back if too aggressive (though re-seats without much fuss). "

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    same here, almost impossible to keep the back in position when inserting/removing the film holders.
    tried with different vintage film holders.
    the older ones are plain unusable with this camera: if you succed to open the back and remove the holder, the spring assembly pops off.
    the newer plastic ones do however pose more than an issue with the unwanted movement you end imparting to the back.
    I wonder how this passed any testing before coming to market.
    Max/Intrepid please chime in. I also sent you an email with a clip of the camera in action.
    I had the same problem with the springs. The problem is that the holes for the screws were drilled misaligned. I don't know if the holes for the screws are drilled by computer, or using a template, but it should be easy to correct during production. Below are some pics of how I added two screws to stop the spring from going away from the back. Not sure how much it will last, since the screws I planted are directly on the wood, while the ones they put are inside a metal receptacle.

20190527_074218 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

20190527_074156 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

20190527_074150 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

20190527_074140 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

any effect of this on the stiffness of the springs? I mean, are you able to insert/remove the film holders without effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    any effect of this on the stiffness of the springs? I mean, are you able to insert/remove the film holders without effort?
    It improved the removal and the insertion of the holder. To remove the holder, do not try to remove the holder alone. Grab the holder with the back and separate it first from the rear standard, then pull it out. It will come easily. The back does not have a security trap (cut out) for the folder, there is only one on the side of the rear standard.