Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Its simple: sometimes I do still life work that evolves over a span of 2 or 3 (or more) days. That requires leaving the camera in place during the multi-day period. You've never done work in that way? I suspect many of us have. To suggest that somehow this involves ignorance or naiveté on my part (Luis) is uncalled for.
    No, I think my camera has stayed up for maybe 7 or 8 hours tops. Your method never occurred to me as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    How do you protect the ground glass when carrying the camera the the bag?
    To protect my Intrepid Mark II 8x10 ground glass I ordered a piece of custom cut acrylic from Westfall Framing and taped it in place over it. I did the identical thing for my Toyo 810M as it had a slide to lock it in place. Focus right through the clear acrylic. Works like a champ.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 22-Dec-2019 at 17:07. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Its simple: sometimes I do still life work that evolves over a span of 2 or 3 (or more) days. That requires leaving the camera in place during the multi-day period. You've never done work in that way? I suspect many of us have. To suggest that somehow this involves ignorance or naiveté on my part (Luis) is uncalled for.
    I was referring to the OP's comment, not anyone else. An no, I've never felt the need to do still life work over several days. If I need to do still life, I would use strobes or hot lights. I would not set up a camera and leave it open over several days due to bellows sag, and other issues. But, you do it your way, and I'll do it mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I was referring to the OP's comment, not anyone else. An no, I've never felt the need to do still life work over several days. If I need to do still life, I would use strobes or hot lights. I would not set up a camera and leave it open over several days due to bellows sag, and other issues. But, you do it your way, and I'll do it mine.....
    You may have been referring to someone else's comment, but you were obviously referencing MY studio practice.
    I work with natural light (I dislike the strobe look) and I typically work with wet plate collodion, so as I'm sure you realize, this is slow work. Its not unusual to run out of light on day one and have to resume the work the following day. (Isn't this one of the things LF photographers often say is an important part of their practice: taking things slow and becoming mindful and deliberate in their work?) So for me, its not unusual to have the camera set up for a project for 48 hours before completion. My Deardorff doesn't complain about this, but the Intrepid goes quite flaccid in short order. I would think other potential buyers would like to know this.

I agree, Paul. That's good to know.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Marco Fantin

My thoughts on the 8x10 MK2, some comparision with the MK1, and some mods:

My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Good video. Beveling the inside top edge of the very back piece does help a lot. The great thing about the camera is that it's light.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Excellent, Marco!

Thank you for taking the time for this excellent users review.

Nice review! I got mine a few weeks ago and the only issue I have with it is that the recess for the front standard must not have been cut properly because the lensboard is loose, even with the retaining clip tightened down. This "play" causes light leaks around the lensboard. I have contacted Intrepid and they're going to send me some sort of light seal. No idea how this is going to work, but I'm hoping for the best.