Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

I made a mistake in the video. The focusing screen is glass.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter for the in-depth look - especially from someone who actually shoots 8x10. Your wrap-up made a great point about compromise. Looking forward to seeing what you shoot with it and your follow-up thoughts.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks, Bryan. The camera fits in a Tenba messenger bag, along with all the accessories and 3 film holders. None of my other 8x10 cameras are anywhere near as portable. While waiting for my Intrepid, an 8x10 Agfa showed up locally. I bought it for much less than an Intrepid, but it is not close to ready to shoot. It'll require a fair amount refurbing to make it workable. How the back works is my biggest concern with the Intrepid, followed by longevity and stability. The design is open enough, though, that modifying it should be fairly easy. I've been shooting with it every day since it arrived.

For some reason, I had never considered trying my 240 Germinar-W as a convertible. It gives 19" of extension focused at infinity. The image on the ground glass looked good, but I'll have shoot some film to see if it holds up for my max 3x enlargment use. I hope it does, as the camera does best with light lenses, especially long ones. I bought a step up ring that goes from the Compur No. 1 shutter to 52mm filters, and I'll use a protective filter on the front of the shutter.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Hi Peter, thanks for your video. I made a comment on the 5x4 Intrepid thread regarding the front standard which you replied to . Have you taken any photos with your camera yet? I took a few test shots after taping around the front standard to eliminate light leaks and then discoverd that that film sheet has fogging all around the edges. So I checked with a torch and sure enough light leaks in around the mating surfaces of the back board. The older model had a felt seal and the two knobs to screw down tight and never had a problem with that; the MK II just seems to rely on the magnet strength to form a light tight seal. I don't know whether I am missing something or my camera is missing something, but again the only way I can use this is too also apply black tape around the rear standard.

Hi,

I've taken about 40 photos with my camera so far. I've had light leaks on two, which I attributed to the holder. In your case, I'd contact the manufacture and get it fixed.

I just beveled the top of the spring back as I talk about in the video. I made a sled for my table saw fence to clamp the back to, adjusted the blade to the right angle, and took off small amounts until the bevel was the right size. It makes loading and removing holders much easier. The back now rides up and over the ridge on the film holder, and the holder clicks into place nicely. If Intrepid did this, as well as make the back "ears...tabs....?" 1/4" longer, this would be a huge improvement. I'll show this in a second video, but that will have to wait awhile.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I have no leaks on my 8x10, I credit that to the enormous amount of gaffer tape used by the factory to seal the front standard. Really, it looks like I did it, but it came like that.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I just beveled the top of the spring back as I talk about in the video. I made a sled for my table saw fence to clamp the back to, adjusted the blade to the right angle, and took off small amounts until the bevel was the right size. It makes loading and removing holders much easier. The back now rides up and over the ridge on the film holder, and the holder clicks into place nicely. If Intrepid did this, as well as make the back "ears...tabs....?" 1/4" longer, this would be a huge improvement. I'll show this in a second video, but that will have to wait awhile.
    . I look forward to seeing the video. Thanks.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I have no leaks on my 8x10, I credit that to the enormous amount of gaffer tape used by the factory to seal the front standard. Really, it looks like I did it, but it came like that.
    seriously ? lol I'm guessing they forgot to remove the tape after the bellows was glued to the back. very curious if you have a photo of this, mine doesn't have the tape
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    seriously ? lol I'm guessing they forgot to remove the tape after the bellows was glued to the back. very curious if you have a photo of this, mine doesn't have the tape
    See to believe, instead of believe to see? I will get a shot one of these days.