Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

My 4x5 Intrepid (2018) has serious warpage of the plywood components now. Its still usable, but I wonder for how long.

I'll probably replace all of the plywood parts with composite parts, but that's going to take awhile.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I really do feel sorry for you guys. I think you should all go buy Deardorffs and send me your Intrepids.
    \
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    I really do feel sorry for you guys. I think you should all go buy Deardorffs and send me your Intrepids.
    \
    Maybe you're right. Would you like to have mine?

\
    Careful what you ask for.

I just heard back from Intrepid, which is a pretty speedy reply.

"I’m really sorry to hear this. Your camera was from one of the early batches of 8x10 MK2s and we have since updated this part to improve the longevity of the light seal.

We can either send you a replacement back frame for free which should solve the issue or you could return the camera for our team to check over, test and switch the frame. "

That's a reasonable reply. I'll report back after the replacement frame arrives.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I just heard back from Intrepid, which is a pretty speedy reply.

"I’m really sorry to hear this. Your camera was from one of the early batches of 8x10 MK2s and we have since updated this part to improve the longevity of the light seal.

We can either send you a replacement back frame for free which should solve the issue or you could return the camera for our team to check over, test and switch the frame. "

That's a reasonable reply. I'll report back after the replacement frame arrives.
    This is consistent with response i received re my MK4 4x5. My model was an early MK4, and the small bolts scratched the base. They told me mine was from a small batch with that issue, and they immediately sent me the replacement parts to repair. Another member here and i experienced the same issue.

Easy fix. Great communication.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    This is consistent with response i received re my MK4 4x5. My model was an early MK4, and the small bolts scratched the base. They told me mine was from a small batch with that issue, and they immediately sent me the replacement parts to repair. Another member here and i experienced the same issue.

Easy fix. Great communication.

Had you registered your camera with the factory?

Seems that, just like a car manufacturer, then when the factory becomes aware of a serious problem, they should notify registered owners of the problem and their cure. Would save them a lot of bad press on the forums if they were just upfront about the problem.

No! That will only drive up the price of used Deardorff! Just keep using your Intrepids and complaining.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 23-Jun-2020 at 17:33.

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Had you registered your camera with the factory?

Seems that, just like a car manufacturer, then when the factory becomes aware of a serious problem, they should notify registered owners of the problem and their cure. Would save them a lot of bad press on the forums if they were just upfront about the problem.
    There are no serial numbers, but i totally get your point. Wondered the same thing about their process being complaint-driven rather than proactive.

Also understood from beginning--even as beginner--that Intrepid business model is different from high quality, more expensive models. Appreciate that it lures folks like me, unfamiliar with LF, into the possibilities. In my case, also put together a Norma from reading this forum. So experiencing range of approaches.