Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

If you watch the BenHorne review he talks about how to better stabilize the front standard.

When I added a washer to my 4X5 Intrepid KS model it caused lessened thread engagement...

My 4X5 Intrepid also skipped teeth when wound out too far, changing extension holes worked.

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    Wasn’t sure how they’d fit the metal back on there without making the camera larger so was surprised when you said that yours would have one.

I thought the rack on my bed was skipping teeth on the gears also. It will do that when you get it extended all the way out or retracted all the way in. What caused mine to grind half way out was the lock nut on the gear knob. As you move the bed the lock nut tends to tighten up if you haven’t loosened it up enough. That will cause the gear and teeth to skip. They’re using phenolic plastic and when I checked mine there was no sign of damage to the mechanism. Enough means farther than you’d expect to have to loosen it.

On the the back a little while ago I popped the bungee cords out of their capture holes on the side away from the entrance for the film holder and put a new knot in them to increase the holding force. Big improvement. The front standard wobbles a bit when tightened down. I’m going to get a flat washer about as wide as the knob on the screw down ang glue it in place directly to the bottom of the knob to increase stability.
    Tin Can

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    If you watch the BenHorne review he talks about how to better stabilize the front standard.

When I added a washer to my 4X5 Intrepid KS model it caused lessened thread engagement...

My 4X5 Intrepid also skipped teeth when wound out too far, changing extension holes worked.
    Saw the Ben Horne vid. Will try that if the washer won’t work. The spindle on the 8x10 lock knob is pretty long and should be enough for solid engagement with a washer on there. Will test that befor I glue it in place.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I sent an inquiry to Intrepid about availability of a leaf spring back for the 8x10. This is their reply:

“On Jan 21, 2019, at 4:07 AM, Intrepid Camera <hello@theintrepidcamera.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Yes we will be bringing out the next model of the 8x10 soon which will have a leaf spring system.

Best,

Naomi Davison

Digital Communications | Intrepid Camera Co.
    intrepidcamera.co.uk | 01273 457 747 “

My reply to them was that it was very annoying to have just purchased the 8x10 with the bungee back and find out a much better back was going to be available so soon. I asked if intrepid would be offering any kind of discount to original backers to up grade to the leaf spring back.

When the 8x10 Kickstarter went past it’s funding goal by multitudes, as a reward Intrepid threw in a leveling bubble. Whoopie. Every other Kickstarter I’ve been a part of that exceeds goals by huge amounts showers you with rewards ie Lompgraphy. Intrepid doesn’t seem to see the value in doing that kind of thing. I’ll be very surprised if they give my question a positive response.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Intrepid 4X5 KS into the current model went through upgrades. I got the KS 4X5 and later sold it. No regrets.

Just as all products do.

Linhof changed their models over time and sometimes kept confusing naming. I like all my Linhof.

I will wait until I read a review of the Spring Back 8X10 Intrepid.
    Tin Can

Heard back from Intrepid and original owners of the 8x10 can get the new version for 20% off when it becomes available.

Yes the 4x5 went through upgrades. What annoyes me is that they had the leaf spring technology in the works when they devloped the 8x10 and didn’t incorporate it in the the 8x10 from the start. Good luck selling the current bungee cord camera without taking a substantial loss on what will be a relatively unused camera to get the newer version. This new version of the 8x10 is coming so close to the original it makes me wonder why they just didn’t use the leaf spring back from the start.

The Intrepid people have a great entry level product but they’re not very strategic thinkers. I’ll be thinking long and hard before I every buy from them again. And I’ll be warning anyone who asked about a new product from them to wait since Intrepid will probably making an improved version before the new car smell is gone from the one you just bought.
    Bob

Heard back from Intrepid and original owners of the 8x10 can get the new version for 20% off when it becomes available.

Yes the 4x5 went through upgrades. What annoyes me is that they had the leaf spring technology in the works when they devloped the 8x10 and didn’t incorporate it in the the 8x10 from the start. Good luck selling the current bungee cord camera without taking a substantial loss on what will be a relatively unused camera to get the newer version. This new version of the 8x10 is coming so close to the original it makes me wonder why they just didn’t use the leaf spring back from the start.
    When I ordered the 8x10 in May, I asked if it would have the spring back and I was told it definitely would. When it finally arrived in October (yes, OCTOBER) It had the bungee back. I contacted Intrepid and was told they’d send me the spring back, but I have yet to receive one. I’ve given up any expectations at this point.

Intrepid Camera

The Intrepid people have a great entry level product but they’re not very strategic thinkers. I’ll be thinking long and hard before I every buy from them again. And I’ll be warning anyone who asked about a new product from them to wait since Intrepid will probably making an improved version before the new car smell is gone from the one you just bought.
    Hi Bob, Naomi Just showed me your email but thought I would reply on here. We first launched the 8x10 in May 2017 and didn't start producing Leaf Spring backs until June 2018. So quite a gap between the two. Whilst we could have updated the Design of the 8x10 earlier, we waited a little bit for a few reasons. Firstly, due to the massive demand for our cameras, we had not had the time to properly go through all the user feedback and ideas until recently. Secondly If we had updated the design earlier there would have been complaints about it being too soon. Now two years on from the initial launch of the 8x10 and after having enough time to properly update the design we will be launching the new camera officially in May 2019. However, for people who have been ordering recently we have been informing them about the upgrade and asking if they would be happy waiting a week or so extra and receiving the upgraded version.

All in all we have tried to do this as fairly as possible, I appreciate that due to the delay on the Kickstarter some people have not had their cameras for a long amount of time but we have to update the camera at some point.

We manufacture in batches and a lot of the time we order parts in quantities of 500 to 1000, we do this to get a good price and that is a saving we pass on to customers. We are approaching the end of the packet for a lot of key 8x10 parts so, we either commit to another 12 -18 months of stock of the older design or we update. There is rarely a perfect option with stuff like this but I hope you can see that the choice we made was considered and somewhat strategic.

Let me know if you have any questions, Max

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Just as all products do.

Linhof changed their models over time and sometimes kept confusing naming. I like all my Linhof.
    Well, the tripod companies also keep changing model names every often, when in reality it is the same tripod.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hi Bob, Naomi Just showed me your email but thought I would reply on here. We first launched the 8x10 in May 2017 and didn't start producing Leaf Spring backs until June 2018. So quite a gap between the two. Whilst we could have updated the Design of the 8x10 earlier, we waited a little bit for a few reasons. Firstly, due to the massive demand for our cameras, we had not had the time to properly go through all the user feedback and ideas until recently. Secondly If we had updated the design earlier there would have been complaints about it being too soon. Now two years on from the initial launch of the 8x10 and after having enough time to properly update the design we will be launching the new camera officially in May 2019. However, for people who have been ordering recently we have been informing them about the upgrade and asking if they would be happy waiting a week or so extra and receiving the upgraded version.

All in all we have tried to do this as fairly as possible, I appreciate that due to the delay on the Kickstarter some people have not had their cameras for a long amount of time but we have to update the camera at some point.

We manufacture in batches and a lot of the time we order parts in quantities of 500 to 1000, we do this to get a good price and that is a saving we pass on to customers. We are approaching the end of the packet for a lot of key 8x10 parts so, we either commit to another 12 -18 months of stock of the older design or we update. There is rarely a perfect option with stuff like this but I hope you can see that the choice we made was considered and somewhat strategic.

Let me know if you have any questions, Max
    The problem for me is that it’s two years since the launch of the bungee 8x10 and I’ve only had mine for a couple of months
    and now I hear there’s going to be a vastly improved one coming out. I’m sure for an increased price but worth it. Not one where you have work on the camera just to get the GG back to stay relatively tight and not sag a good 1/4” like I had to do with mine. (along with having to file the reducing lens board down to fit) Hopefully you can understand why I and others are annoyed by this announcement. Guess I’m a victim of bad timing and delays in production on Intrepid’s end. Live and learn.
    Bob

Sorta the same, Gitzo was French made, now Italian made. Story as told by corporate winner...

Different factories and workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Well, the tripod companies also keep changing model names every often, when in reality it is the same tripod.
    Tin Can