Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

LF is a very different world today than it once was.

If you're trying to put food on your table, roof over your head, and those dependent on you for support, tolerance for an iffy product become about zero.

I'll used Linhof as an example (since Bob is involved). While they have specific limitations, they ARE a VERY high quality camera designed by folks who know what is expected and demanded from a view camera to produce high quality images. They are also built to a very high standard of excellence and backed by a company committed to serving their customers long term. They are NOT low cost, IMO if you're trying to make a livelihood at this LF stuff, Linhof or similar is a valid choice.

What has happened today with LF, there are a good number of hobbyist folks or folks that want to dabble into LF for a long list of reasons. For this user base a camera like the Intrepid or Bender kit or similar could serve perfectly fine and good for their needs.

Both Linhof & Intrepid serves a market segment and specific market user's needs.

Personally, tolerant for iffy camera and related hardware is about zero. After doing this for decades and spent way to much time and resources "experimenting", that stuff has about zero interest, It is all about making images as direct and with the hardware involved to achieve the goals of an image as transparent as possible. Iffy cameras and all related cannot achieve that expectation of transparency to achieving that image goal. This is not to say it cannot be done with iffy hardware, it is just THAT much more troublesome and hassle fought to get there.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post

For me it’s not fine and a big deterrent for me to purchase their product again (I have one of their 4x5 sitting unused). This is because I can’t work with a product that “almost works” but “doesn’t really” and reminds me every so often of its limitations and issues. And because I can afford something that I consider superior (significantly more expensive) and doesn’t have these issues.

Or maybe a light but rigid 8x10 that doesn't cost a fortune is appealing...
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Intrepid Camera

Hello, Max from Intrepid here, just to let you know we do read through these threads to make sure we are on top of quality control and haven't missed any issues etc.

Just to dial back a little on the scale of the problem here, Peters Camera had a warp in the rear frame probably because I cut it too thin on the router and didn't spot that before it shipped, He will have a new one sent to him today and I'm fairly certain that will solve the problem, it happened on about 5 cameras around a year ago and the symptoms of Peters issue match with that so thats why we are sending him that part. We currently have about 1020 Intrepid 8x10s out in the world vast majority of which are being used to create beautiful images by many happy customers. I think they would probably be a bit upset if we started looking into a product recall for something that doesn't effect them and that we are very much on top of.

Either way, Sorry about the warping issue Peter! Will get you back up and running in no time!

on a side note there is always quite a lot of speculation about Intrepid on this Forum and obviously some of it is opinion which is absolutely fine, you're more than welcome to form any opinion of us you would like, but please feel free to ask me if there are specific things you are unsure of, I'm more than happy to answer anything about the company (trade secrets aside )

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I don’t know that it’s fine. It’s a difficult question.

For me it’s not fine and a big deterrent for me to purchase their product again (I have one of their 4x5 sitting unused). This is because I can’t work with a product that “almost works” but “doesn’t really” and reminds me every so often of its limitations and issues. And because I can afford something that I consider superior (significantly more expensive) and doesn’t have these issues.

Others may be more willing to accept the trade off because of the combination of low cost and weight. Let’s be honest, when I look up the price of a new Linhof master technical 3000, my jaw drops to the floor. I’m sure it’s problem free and a precision machine crafted to very high standards, but I wouldn’t (couldn’t) spend $12k on one.

Then they also supplement their shortcomings with a good service where they respond quickly and offer to send you a new part, etc. at no cost. That pacifies a lot of people.

Yes we are all testers in this approach, some will be willing to play the game others won’t. But it’s certainly working for them so it appears to be financially viable.
    12k? Get a ticket to Germany and buy your camera there, 6.460,00 EUR without VAT. http://linhof.com/wp-content/uploads...engl_09-24.pdf

What about the beautiful Master Technikas of https://www.laflexcamera.com/? They cost 2k-3k.

If your Intrepid is broken after one year of normal use, you will need another one. To use Intrepids over a "product cycle" of a Linhof (60+ years like my Technika IV), you will have to buy 60+ Intrepids. 15k £. Just take care to order these 60 Intrepids now to get them when the one you already own will be broken.

There are good Horseman FA out there, too.

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    12k? Get a ticket to Germany and buy your camera there, 6.460,00 EUR without VAT. http://linhof.com/wp-content/uploads...engl_09-24.pdf

What about the beautiful Master Technikas of https://www.laflexcamera.com/? They cost 2k-3k.

If your Intrepid is broken after one year of normal use, you will need another one. To use Intrepids over a "product cycle" of a Linhof (60+ years like my Technika IV), you will have to buy 60+ Intrepids. 15k £. Just take care to order these 60 Intrepids now to get them when the one you already own will be broken.

There are good Horseman FA out there, too.
    Hi Daniel, many people with Intrepid Mk1s from 6 years ago still happily using them. Current 4x5 lead time is 6 weeks (its fluctuated a lot this year due to supply chain issues with Covid)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Either way, Sorry about the warping issue Peter! Will get you back up and running in no time!
    That's great, Max. Thanks! I really enjoy the Intrepid's combination of light weight, compactness and stability.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hi Daniel, many people with Intrepid Mk1s from 6 years ago still happily using them. Current 4x5 lead time is 6 weeks (its fluctuated a lot this year due to supply chain issues with Covid)
    I was using my Kickstarter 8x10 MkI regularly until I just recently got the MkII. I do like the MkII version better, but the original is a perfectly fine camera.

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Appreciate Max's replies here. Responsive and responsible.

The Intrepid was my, like many folks', first LF camera. Right tool for THAT job...for me and many others.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am one who is happy with his 4x5 Mark 1. After six years it still works great with no problems. It is exactly what I was looking for when the Intrepid kickstarter project popped up on my radar. It is very light and easy to pack for this not-so-very-fit old man to haul around the deserts and mountains of Nevada in my daypack. I wasn't looking for a pretty little camera to sit on a tripod so others could admire it. I needed something that would allow me to expose large format negatives in areas where I wouldn't normally try to carry a heavier large format camera like one of my Crown Graphics. That is exactly what I received and I couldn't be happier.

But if you are really looking for something that Bob used to sell at that Intrepid price then I am pretty sure you will be disappointed.

Thanks Max and thank your hard working crew for me.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    Appreciate Max's replies here. Responsive and responsible.

The Intrepid was my, like many folks', first LF camera. Right tool for THAT job...for me and many others.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    The Intrepid is far from my first LF camera. I used a Deardorff 8x10 for 30+ years, but I like to hike with my cameras and, at nearly 70 years young, the 'dorff just became too much to carry very far. Enter the Intrepid 8x10; about the weight of my lighter 4x5 and with Fuji C lenses I can still carry an entire 8x10 outfit to far flung locations. I still use the Deardorff when working out of the car, but for any distances at all...it's the Intrepid.