Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Now two years on from the initial launch of the 8x10 and after having enough time to properly update the design we will be launching the new camera officially in May 2019
    Max are you planning to upgrade the 8x10 to front standard independent rise and tilt controls like the 4x5 MK3 ones ?
    thank you

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

It is the price to pay for supporting a kickstarter project. The recipients of the 4x5 Mk I received a very basic camera. I got the Mk II, which was better. I have used it couple of months and now, they have the Mk III, without the elastic bands and with independent controls for tilt and raise/fall. I contacted Intrepid, and the would no sell the parts for people to self-upgrade (very easy if you have the parts). They prefer you to buy the new model. Instead, I bought a Chamonix 45F2, which is three times the price of the Mk III, but it is a jewel to use. Still, I can use my Mk II, because it is really easy to use (except for the rear tilt, non existing). I am waiting for my 8x10, which will come up with the latest improvements somewhere by the end of February. I did buy it in October2018 or close to that date. Max told me that I would get the improved model.
    -------------------

I just read Max posting on top, and realize the official lunch will be May 2019. I still hope to get mine in February.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Intrepid Camera

Thumbs up Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    The problem for me is that it’s two years since the launch of the bungee 8x10 and I’ve only had mine for a couple of months
    and now I hear there’s going to be a vastly improved one coming out. I’m sure for an increased price but worth it. Not one where you have work on the camera just to get the GG back to stay relatively tight and not sag a good 1/4” like I had to do with mine. (along with having to file the reducing lens board down to fit) Hopefully you can understand why I and others are annoyed by this announcement. Guess I’m a victim of bad timing and delays in production on Intrepid’s end. Live and learn.
    Hi Bob, I just checked the shipping records and yours shipped in May 2018, so by the time the new model comes out it will have been a year which is a fairly standard product cycle in many industries. I am sorry you feel like we have let you down though, we are looking into upgrade pathways and hopefully that will be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    Max are you planning to upgrade the 8x10 to front standard independent rise and tilt controls like the 4x5 MK3 ones ?
    thank you
    Hello, yes that is exactly what we are doing, it will be the same mechanism as is on the current 4x5 model

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    It is the price to pay for supporting a kickstarter project. The recipients of the 4x5 Mk I received a very basic camera. I got the Mk II, which was better. I have used it couple of months and now, they have the Mk III, without the elastic bands and with independent controls for tilt and raise/fall. I contacted Intrepid, and the would no sell the parts for people to self-upgrade (very easy if you have the parts). They prefer you to buy the new model. Instead, I bought a Chamonix 45F2, which is three times the price of the Mk III, but it is a jewel to use. Still, I can use my Mk II, because it is really easy to use (except for the rear tilt, non existing). I am waiting for my 8x10, which will come up with the latest improvements somewhere by the end of February. I did buy it in October2018 or close to that date. Max told me that I would get the improved model.
    -------------------

I just read Max posting on top, and realize the official lunch will be May 2019. I still hope to get mine in February.
    Hello Pepe, we are sorry you were not able to upgrade the MKII its not that we didn't want to sell people the parts but that it simply is not possible to add the new parts onto the older camera. You would have to completely replace the rear and front standard as the wooden parts have no space or mounting spots for the leaf springs or independent rise and fall. The ground glass holder on the MKII would also not work with leaf springs. If you did replace the front and rear standards though those new parts wouldn't properly fit with the base and you would need a new one and then you would basically just have a MKIII. The Chamonix is a lovely camera, glad to hear you are enjoying it

Best, Max

I'd like to get posted when the improved parts of the 8x10 become available (especially any improved front standards) for supporters of the older model(s) too. Will there be an official channel for the upgrade or would it just be a ask-and-see Max? Thanks.

I also got a reply from Intrepid, they will not upgrade my 8x10 which is currently in their shop for repair. They just offer a 20% rebate if you buy the new model. Not so happy, after more than a year of wait for a camera with so many flaws...

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hi Bob, I just checked the shipping records and yours shipped in May 2018, so by the time the new model comes out it will have been a year which is a fairly standard product cycle in many industries. I am sorry you feel like we have let you down though, we are looking into upgrade pathways and hopefully that will be possible.

Hello, yes that is exactly what we are doing, it will be the same mechanism as is on the current 4x5 model

Hello Pepe, we are sorry you were not able to upgrade the MKII its not that we didn't want to sell people the parts but that it simply is not possible to add the new parts onto the older camera. You would have to completely replace the rear and front standard as the wooden parts have no space or mounting spots for the leaf springs or independent rise and fall. The ground glass holder on the MKII would also not work with leaf springs. If you did replace the front and rear standards though those new parts wouldn't properly fit with the base and you would need a new one and then you would basically just have a MKIII. The Chamonix is a lovely camera, glad to hear you are enjoying it

Best, Max
    You’re right on that. Arrived end of May. Just feels like I’ve only just had it a short time. And in LF camera life it is. I admire what lntrepid has done in revitalizing LF photography by bringing serviceable low priced cameras to market. You haven’t let me down. It’s just timing. And I was venting. Still annoying and frustrating but I’ll get over it. I will still be warning anyone who asks about getting a new product from you that if it’s a first version they will be serving as Beta testers for Intrepid.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I don't have any skin in this game, but I do want to say that I always appreciate it when the maker/vendor of a product gets involved in a forum like this to explain and help. I looked at the Intrepid 4x5 MKIII and bought a Wista 45VX instead because I like detents and parts that click firmly into place! However, if I ever decide to move up to 8x10 I'll be taking a close look at the Intrepid (hopefully MKII or MKIII by then). An Intrepid 5x7 would be really nice too, just saying...

Got this email today, no photos out of respect for their request.

Hello,

Your order has been automatically upgraded to the next generation model of the Intrepid 8x10 camera!

The first batch has gone in production and is looking great so here are some photos of the new features and improvements.

Independent rise/fall and tilt/swing controls on the front standard

High tension leaf spring clips for the ground glass

Lightweight and sleek with a slim aluminium base

Rear focusing with linear guides
    The linear guides and new base make the camera much sturdier than previous models so even with the bellows fully extended and a heavy lens it will stay secure. And it's still the lightest 8x10 camera in the world at just 2.5kg.

As we haven't yet announced the camera officially we would appreciate it if you keep these photos to yourself for now..!

All the best,

The Intrepid Team

Got the identical email as it appears my 8x10 is similarly in production. As soon s I hear about the upgrades I was in. The aluminum base plate was not expected but it looks like a very good decision on their part to go that direction. Hope to get the camera in the next few weeks and the wait has not been bad at all.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I have four 4x5 cameras (2 Calumet, one Intrepid 4x5, and one Chamonix acquired recently). The Calumets have rail and are the best cameras, but, they are super heavy. So, I use them around the house. The Chamonix is a charm, with all the movements I wanted and a super long bellows. The intrepid is the lightest and simplest of all. However, I use the Intrepid the most. I can carry it anywhere and the adjustments have become intuitive with them (except for the rear tilt for some vast landscapes, I can handle most of every need that comes up). I really want film and large format specially to survive and to flourish, that is the reason I supported the Intrepid. As you will see, this company will bring the use of film to the top. My suggestion at the beginning was to team up with Ilford, Kodak, and all the film, and chemical manufacturers to advance the use of film among the youth. They seem to be doing that and using the social media to entice younger generations that will replace the current aging group of large format camera owners. Good for Intrepid and good for large format photography. Now, go and buy one of the Intrepid cameras, they are so affordable.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones