Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Bob: You just sent me over memory lane. Growning at home, my mom's refrigerator was a Kelvinator that lasted for 45 years. After our parents died, we gave it away for the metal (still working, but consumed too much energy). Now, we buy a Korean refrigerator every three years (they die after 3 years). In the town, there was a butcher, and we went to buy fresh meat every day; the milk man delivered the milk in a bottle to our door step; the eggs came from Mr. Goshi, who had a farm close by with lots of chickens; the vegetable were grown on our on backyard. Then, they built the freeways, and transportation came in. No longer small farmers, only big corporation farmers, milk are produced in factories (who knows how), etc. etc. Most of the manufacturing jobs (light manufacturing --18%-- are gone to East Asia) are gone and not coming back. The good paying jobs for those who chose a trade are gone, that is why everyone wants college now, and computer programing, etc. The only jobs that pay some good many are nurses, and there are not enough, so we get an influx from Phillipines. My kids graduated around 2008 and have not been able to find a good paying job, even after years of college. Something is happening in the world that need to be fixed. In the meantime, I keep supporting the manufacturing (in England, not Asia) of black boxes with one lens board in one end, and a ground glass at the other end.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Bob: You just sent me over memory lane. Growning at home, my mom's refrigerator was a Kelvinator that lasted for 45 years. After our parents died, we gave it away for the metal (still working, but consumed too much energy). Now, we buy a Korean refrigerator every three years (they die after 3 years). In the town, there was a butcher, and we went to buy fresh meat every day; the milk man delivered the milk in a bottle to our door step; the eggs came from Mr. Goshi, who had a farm close by with lots of chickens; the vegetable were grown on our on backyard. Then, they built the freeways, and transportation came in. No longer small farmers, only big corporation farmers, milk are produced in factories (who knows how), etc. etc. Most of the manufacturing jobs (light manufacturing --18%-- are gone to East Asia) are gone and not coming back. The good paying jobs for those who chose a trade are gone, that is why everyone wants college now, and computer programing, etc. The only jobs that pay some good many are nurses, and there are not enough, so we get an influx from Phillipines. My kids graduated around 2008 and have not been able to find a good paying job, even after years of college. Something is happening in the world that need to be fixed. In the meantime, I keep supporting the manufacturing (in England, not Asia) of black boxes with one lens board in one end, and a ground glass at the other end.
    I remember some of that growing up, during WWll and Korea we raised chickens and ducks, got milk from the milkman, had to chase cows out of our side yard when they got away from the farm next to us. Kneed margarine until the yellow capsule turned the white margerine to yellow!

This Saturday my daughter’s youngest is graduating The Schaller Business School at Georgia Tech with highest honors and will follow his middle brother to Deloitte. The middle one also graduated Schiller at GT and went to Deloitte but at 25 he just got a CFO position in the aircraft service industry.

The more somethings change sometimes they stay the same. My daughter’s oldest son is a mechanical engineer in the storage battery business for storing electricity from silicon panels. And none of them are 30 yet!

I have received my 8x10 MKII today :-). Thanks again to Max for helping out. The camera is absolutely flawless and a really beautiful piece of work. I:-)
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post

The rotating focusing knob was fallen down because it was glued on a knob base on the focusing rail. This happens if you fold the camera: the base of the front standard pushes backwards against the glued part of the knob. With the knob fully mounted you can't lay down the camera on the table without stressing the adhesive joint. There were no bolts in the prepared holes to transmit the energy of the circular motion of the glued knob into the circular motion of the knobs base that moves the focusing rail. There were only blank surfaces with residues of glue. If you turn the knob you risk to break it off. Be sure to have a very strong glue.

She tried to mount a lensplate. It does not wobble like the lensplates of the older versions. To be more precisely: the lensplate did not fit at all into the front standard. She had to file the wood. Sawdust in the bellows interior.
    Got my Mark 4 yesterday with exactly the same problem. Focusing knob was loose in the box. Turning the rear focus is really awkward without it.
    Yes it looks as it was glued on.

And the lens board recession on the front standard is to small. Not even the Intrepid board I bought with the camera fits. So no way mounting a lens without filing and tooling.

Have tried to contact Intrepid but no answer so far, but it's only been today so far.
    Last edited by lassethomas; 17-May-2019 at 09:58.

Intrepid Camera

Hello Lasse, Sorry about the knob falling off, luckily a very easy fix, I have just sent you a quick email so we can get that all sorted for you. Best, Max

just a thought, but shouldn't the focus knob have a grub screw to secure it ? I've never seen glue used to secure knobs on any other LF camera, but am open to correction.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    just a thought, but shouldn't the focus knob have a grub screw to secure it ? I've never seen glue used to secure knobs on any other LF camera, but am open to correction.
    Hi Fred, due to the compact design in this section of the camera there wasn't room for a grub screw or retaining nut, CA glue worked perfectly in our testing, but it turns out that if the camera gets bumped around during shipping, a lot of force can go onto the knob and it can come off. We have added 4 pins to retain the knob onto the lead screw and added more protection to the camera during shipping and thankfully this has solved the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hello Lasse, Sorry about the knob falling off, luckily a very easy fix, I have just sent you a quick email so we can get that all sorted for you. Best, Max
    Max, I've answered to your mail

Sad news today!

"I recieved an email from intrepid camera :

A quick update on your camera

Your 4x5 MK4 is coming along great, and is now entering the final stages of production!

There has been a delay on some of the final parts from our suppliers though, which has caused a slight hold up.

This has extended the lead time, and your camera should ship in about 2 weeks time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience so far.

In the meantime take a look at our new 'how to' page and guide videos to help get your head around everything you need to know for setting up your new Intrepid camera.

As always feel free to get in touch with us directly if you have any other questions or queries.

All the best,

The Intrepid Team"

Quote Originally Posted by RenoAmiens View Post
    Sad news today!

"I recieved an email from intrepid camera :

A quick update on your camera

Your 4x5 MK4 is coming along great, and is now entering the final stages of production!

There has been a delay on some of the final parts from our suppliers though, which has caused a slight hold up.

This has extended the lead time, and your camera should ship in about 2 weeks time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience so far.

In the meantime take a look at our new 'how to' page and guide videos to help get your head around everything you need to know for setting up your new Intrepid camera.

As always feel free to get in touch with us directly if you have any other questions or queries.

All the best,

The Intrepid Team"
    Realistically setting your expectations relative to posted time lines with Intrepid one must remember that these are posted as estimates. My 8x10 was estimated at 8 weeks and it took 16 weeks. For the manufacturer it is a volume and logistics thing. And this issue has been posted any number of times. They have large numbers of orders, only so many people on staff and are dependent upon parts suppliers. The good news is your camera will eventually show up. I strongly advised some form of hard protection over the ground glass to them when the camera ships which is more of an issue with am 8x10 camera than a 4x5, but it is still an item that needs proper attendance.