Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Intrepid Camera

Re: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Quote Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
    Dear Max,

what is you understanding of "past"? I have ordered my 8x10 on January 31th with "8 weeks lead time". Since then none of my mails has been answered. I don't even have any confirmation for my order, despite this mass mail from the beginning of april.

Well now it's may and there was no dispatch mail and no tracking number and no camera and no communication about this issue at all.
    Hello, really sorry that no one has got back to you, what is your order number (Begins with R) I will find out what is going on

Best, Max

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Hello,

to imply, that there would be a "silent majority" that is satisfied only because you can count the opinions against the Intrepids, is - a classical fallacy.

blah blah blah
    Daniel,

It's a well-known fact that people will leave negative reviews online much more commonly than positive. That's just the way it is. And yes, as Max mentions, the majority of photographs I see from Intrepid users are on Instagram. Not surprising to me that they aren't here posting - us younger folks tend to just go and do and have no interest in folks telling them their camera is bad and they should've bought xyz and yada yada - which this forum seems to cater to these days.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

We have members here that post very good videos on youtube and FakeBook/Instagram.

I pay for youtube premium as it has amazing content hidden in the morass. Such as the below.

I only discovered marcookie a LFPF member who uses an Intrepid 8X10 Ver 1 last night.

It sure looks like he could afford a far more expensive camera from his kit, but wants an Intrepid for lightweight and packability.

Watch this Intrepid video.

Then watch all his videos and learn something.
    Tin Can

I purchased an 4x5 Mk 3 and I have to say that overall my experience has been good.

Originally the camera took a lot longer than the expected lead time stated, which was frustrating. I mentioned in an earlier comment that a little more notification would've been better in this regard, but their communication was good and when I emailed I did get a prompt response.

As far as the actual camera is concerned, for me as a first 4x5 camera it has been great. It just works well and the light weight and portability are excellent. Of course it's a little rough around the edges, but not to the detriment of any functionality. The only issue is with one of the tilt knobs. It doesn't fully tighten down and appeared to be stripped straight from the box. It hasn't affected me as I don't have any monster lenses and with it halfway screwed down and the other side tight there is zero movement. If it ever becomes an issue I will contact Intrepid as I'm sure it's an easy fix. Eventually I may also upgrade to the Mk 4 base, but currently the camera is fine as is.

If anyone is looking to purchase a first 4x5 I would certainly recommend the Intrepid based on my experience. While it's not perfect, it works well for me and enabled me to get a lightweight 4x5 without a huge investment. However, there are now other options in this price range, like the stenopeika hyper camera and the Chroma (although I'm not sure if it's for sale yet) which may also be worth a look.

I can understand why people who ordered one and haven't received it in a timely fashion, or who received one with problems, would grumble. However, I would like to add one thought to this conversation: large format photography desperately needs new blood. The only way you'll be able to buy the sheets of film you're going to need in 10 or 20 years is if lots of new -- young -- people take up large format photography. I have no skin in this game because I don't own an Intrepid and am not planning to buy one (in the near future anyway). But I am HUGELY grateful they exist simply because they're bringing in new blood.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that the cost of entry (in time and frustration mostly) can be really high. Yes, there are loads of old cameras around that can be purchased for about the same as an Intrepid, but they're all OLD, meaning gears are worn, bellows are cracked and leaky, knobs are stripped, parts are missing, grease is dried up, etc. You can get lucky and find a camera in mint condition that works perfectly, but that's a very rare beast. Buying an "EX++++" camera on eBay and discovering it's a junker is a huge turnoff for someone who already is facing a steep learning curve. Someone who is just starting out is more likely to stick with it if the camera is new and works out of the box. That's what the Intrepid is doing for us collectively (most of the time...)

From this perspective, I wish Max and the gang at Intrepid all the best and hope they're in business for a long, long time.

I agree, and it's the main reason I bought one of their 8x10s.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Daniel,

It's a well-known fact that people will leave negative reviews online much more commonly than positive. That's just the way it is. And yes, as Max mentions, the majority of photographs I see from Intrepid users are on Instagram. Not surprising to me that they aren't here posting - us younger folks tend to just go and do and have no interest in folks telling them their camera is bad and they should've bought xyz and yada yada - which this forum seems to cater to these days.
    A nice try to tell us, that largeformatphotography.info/forum isn't dead but smells funny - whereas the authorities stay with Instagram now ... Some kind of bashing, of course. basing on just another myths: " people", "us younger folks", "no interest in folks telling ... they should've bought".

I do not recommend but warn about something.

Because if you pay 250 £ you can expect a functioning item that gives pleasure to you.

E.g. my alter ego recieved the MK4, Good things come to those who wait?

The rotating focusing knob was fallen down because it was glued on a knob base on the focusing rail. This happens if you fold the camera: the base of the front standard pushes backwards against the glued part of the knob. With the knob fully mounted you can't lay down the camera on the table without stressing the adhesive joint. There were no bolts in the prepared holes to transmit the energy of the circular motion of the glued knob into the circular motion of the knobs base that moves the focusing rail. There were only blank surfaces with residues of glue. If you turn the knob you risk to break it off. Be sure to have a very strong glue. Additionally you can prepare some bolts or replace the complete knob with one made of metal. If you own a workbench. In the meantime you can be afraid of losing the knob in the field. So you use another camera. Why did you spend 250 £ for a camera in which you don't trust?

We found the missing 3D plastic printed knob in the box. There we found a washer and a screw of the upper Graflock back clamp, too. The clamps of the Graflock back were loose. Apparently somebody mounted the springs of the ground glass holder, but omitted the screws under the spring. Of course the ground glass was loose, too - there will be malfocusing issues if she does not fix the grondglass holder with one hand. The groundglass itself was not fixed in the holder. Perhaps Intrepid thinks that folks will mount a fresnel. But you will have to bend the groundglass fixing clips. This can result in breaking them.

She tried to mount a lensplate. It does not wobble like the lensplates of the older versions. To be more precisely: the lensplate did not fit at all into the front standard. She had to file the wood. Sawdust in the bellows interior.

Then she tried to fix the rear standard because it was wobbly. She had to adjust the chromed screws on the sides of the rear standards. This does not work very well because the washers are made from rather soft plastic. And: rotating the back with a backwards tilted rear standard will result in stressing the rotation mechanism because the focusing knob gets in the way of the rotating back. This stresses the adhesive joint of the focusing knob on its base, again.

Last but not least we wondered about the brightness of the interior of the camera. The back of the front standard on the inside of the bellows is not black but bright, because one can see the bright wood of the standard. We had to tape it with adhesive textile tape.

And another point: the weight of the camera is not 1.1kg but 1.3kg.

Well, as others mentioned: if all the Youngster-Instagrammers buy sheet film, it's fine. Then we benefit from this. - Although the costs of film holders and standard lenses on Ebay increased ...

But the fact that somebody does not recommend a camera is not a reason to bash him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    A nice try to tell us, that largeformatphotography.info/forum isn't dead but smells funny - whereas the authorities stay with Instagram now ... Some kind of bashing, of course. basing on just another myths: " people", "us younger folks", "no interest in folks telling ... they should've bought".
    I think the main argument in his post was that the primary target audience of intrepidcameras are young photographers that prefer instagram. Thats not bashing, thats simply the truth.
    And while I like this forum, I have also made the experience here and in other largeformatcommunities, that arrogance and edifying behaviour tend to become stronger with the size of the negatives used by SOME photographers.

And to come back to the topic of this thread: Thanks to max I now do have a tracking number for my 8x10 MKII, so it should be here next week. Than I will know if all those horror stories are true.
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -

I can't wait, but I will, to see your new camera.

Always exciting!

I remember seeing a very nice V11 11X14 Deardorff Field camera up close. I took pics of it.

All cameras interesting.

It's the singularity effect...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I agree, and it's the main reason I bought one of their 8x10s.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hello, really sorry that no one has got back to you, what is your order number (Begins with R) I will find out what is going on

Best, Max
    While you are at it Max can you check on my status. 8x10 order placed October 24, 2018. Thanks!